Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2018 2:07 pm  #1

Yujin Nagasawa

Does anyone know if Yujin Nagasawa is a theist? I’ve seen his name pop up during discussions about the Ontological Argument.

5/16/2018 3:29 pm  #2

Re: Yujin Nagasawa

Yes, he is, or at least he writes in favor of the OA as a successful argument for God (in fact he goes as far to say it is one of humanity's greatest discoveries). I will be reviewing his recent book, Maximal God, next month.

5/19/2018 2:04 pm  #3

Is it worth the $40? It looks mesmerizing.

5/25/2018 12:19 am  #4

DanielCC wrote:

Yes, he is, or at least he writes in favor of the OA as a successful argument for God (in fact he goes as far to say it is one of humanity's greatest discoveries). I will be reviewing his recent book, Maximal God, next month.

Where is your review? Just write it already. I think Nagasawa's idea of taking a top-down approach to the possibility premiss seems at least promising.

5/25/2018 4:14 am  #5

Miguel wrote:

DanielCC wrote:

Where is your review? Just write it already. I think Nagasawa's idea of taking a top-down approach to the possibility premiss seems at least promising.

Final papers for various course modules have to be turned in first. The review will be slightly more indepth than my take on Ed's book as I was using separate articles to discuss individual issues with the arguments (and still plan to do one on the eternal truths argument).

5/26/2018 3:04 pm  #6

Are you a graduate student Daniel? Do you publish/post reviews anywhere, or do you post them here?

Yesterday 1:57 pm  #7

Here we are folks. For the sake of having this review out in reasonable time and because the remaining material ran into the hundreds of words I will be posting a follow-up about the book's central thesis next week.

https://ontologicalinvestigations.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/review-maximal-god-by-yujin-nagasawa.html

mnels123 wrote:

Are you a graduate student Daniel? Do you publish/post reviews anywhere, or do you post them here?

No, sadly. I'm doing an undergraduate humanities degree really just as a means to an end.

Yesterday 8:34 pm  #8

DanielCC wrote:

Here we are folks. For the sake of having this review out in reasonable time and because the remaining material ran into the hundreds of words I will be posting a follow-up about the book's central thesis next week.

https://ontologicalinvestigations.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/review-maximal-god-by-yujin-nagasawa.html

mnels123 wrote:

No, sadly. I'm doing an undergraduate humanities degree really just as a means to an end.

Quick question: how does Nagasawa derive necessity (as in necessary existence) from the Maximal God thesis? How do we get necessary existence from "the maximal consistent set of power, knowledge and benevolence" without assuming necessary existence is possible and terefore part of the maximal consistent set?

Board footera