Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2018 7:21 pm  #1

How do you properly organize your thoughts?

At times I have several philosophical ideas bouncing around in my head. Often I feel like my indecision and hesitancy to cast some ideas to the flames and affirm others is due to a lack of mental organization. I have been revisiting the Stoics, and some of their techniques have been very useful in gaining a sort of inner tranquility with regards to anxiety and emotional stability. But my philosophical musings still remain... messy. Any advice?

10/17/2018 9:18 pm  #2

Re: How do you properly organize your thoughts?

Write in a philosophy journal.  Writing always helps me organize my thoughts.  And often Ill have some "new" thought that I later find in an old journal.  There's really no downside to writing except a time commitment.

10/18/2018 1:57 am  #3

Brian wrote:

Write in a philosophy journal.  Writing always helps me organize my thoughts.  And often Ill have some "new" thought that I later find in an old journal.  There's really no downside to writing except a time commitment.

I've been meaning to set up an online blog to help my thinking. Do you prefer pen and paper over a keyboard?

10/18/2018 10:54 am  #4

RomanJoe wrote:

I've been meaning to set up an online blog to help my thinking. Do you prefer pen and paper over a keyboard?

I like pen and paper because I'm often not in front of a computer.  Those little pocket size Moleskin notebooks that come in packs of 3 are convenient.  Just keep one in your breast pocket or by your wallet and it's always at hand. 

My notebook is like a disorganized chronicle, but often if theres' an idea I'm really working at or trying to understand I'll write longer stuff on my computer.  Much easier to edit and expand upon.

Using both allows you to 1) remember every passing thought or idea (or quote you read) worth saving and 2) develop/hone ideas that you find worth really exploring.

Board footera