Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/05/2015 6:23 pm  #1

Hume's Fork and mathematical knowledge

A few times, Feser has said that Hume's Fork fails to account for mathematical knowledge, because mathematical knowledge is about neither "matters of fact" nor "relations of ideas".

This criticism puzzles me, because mathematical knowledge is Hume's paradigmatic example of knowledge concerning "relations of ideas".  Insofar as we know what Hume meant by the phrase "relations of ideas" at all, it is because he said that these relations are what mathematical knowledge is about.  From his first Enquiry:

Hume wrote:

ALL the objects of human reason or enquiry may naturally be divided into two kinds, to wit, Relations of Ideas, and Matters of Fact. Of the first kind are the sciences of Geometry, Algebra, and Arithmetic; and in short, every affirmation which is either intuitively or demonstratively certain. That the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the square of the two sides, is a proposition which expresses a relation between these figures. That three times five is equal to the half of thirty, expresses a relation between these numbers. Propositions of this kind are discoverable by the mere operation of thought, without dependence on what is anywhere existent in the universe. Though there never were a circle or triangle in nature, the truths demonstrated by Euclid would for ever retain their certainty and evidence.

Literally all of the examples here of knowledge concerning relations of ideas are mathematical.  It's not much of an exaggeration to say that Hume is giving an ostensive definition;  it's as if he wrote "You know that kind of knowledge that you get when you gain mathematical knowledge?  That's what I'm calling knowledge concerning relations of ideas"

Hume might not mean for the phrases "knowledge concerning relations of ideas" (or "KCRI", for short) and "mathematical knowledge" to be synonymous.  Maybe Hume acknowledges some non-mathematical knowledge that is still KCRI.  Perhaps Hume can justly be criticized for obscurity on this point.  And if "KCRI" is broader than "math", then it is fair to ask, What exactly is the feature of mathematical knowledge that makes it KCRI?  What feature is Hume intending to point out by using the phrase "KCRI" in particular? How are we supposed to recognize non-math examples of KCRI if we ever run across them?  Furthermore, how exactly do we acquire KCRI?  By what mechanisms, precisely, does the mind seize hold of KCRI?  Why should we trust these mechanisms?  Why might not other mechanisms provide us with still other kinds of equally reliable knowledge?

Those seem like reasonable questions to me.  But Feser's criticism seems to be more like, "there is no room in Hume's scheme for mathematical knowledge."  It's as if Hume said, "There are two kinds of knowledge: empirical knowledge and mathematical knowledge," and Feser replied, "But what about mathematical knowledge?  How could you miss something so important?"

Why is Feser taking it as given that mathematical knowledge cannot plausibly be called KCRI?  Or, to put it another way, what does Feser understand the phrase "KCRI" to mean, and what is his source for this understanding?  If the source were Hume himself, then Feser's understanding would have to begin with the premise that, whatever KCRI is, mathematical knowledge is an example of it, because all of Hume's examples are mathematical. Or does Feser deny that the phrase "KCRI" has any meaning at all, or that Hume's meaning is irredemably obscure?  But, Feser's criticisms of Hume's Fork seem to presume that the phrase has some meaning known to him, because he asserts that this meaning cannot plausibly include mathematical knowledge.

(Feser's post Empiricism and sola scriptura redux cites earlier works elaborating on his criticisms of Hume's Fork and its modern descendants, but none of them seem to address my question.)

Last edited by Tyrrell McAllister (8/17/2015 4:07 pm)

8/21/2015 6:32 pm  #2

Re: Hume's Fork and mathematical knowledge

Generally I take Ed to mean that a mathematical knowledge is (1) not about a mere "matter of fact" because our intellectual grasp of a mathematical truth is of something universal, not just of particular objects of sensory experience, (2) nor about a mere "relation of ideas" because (a) a mathematical proposition is an objective truth that tells us something about external, mind-independent reality, not just about how our "ideas" are related to one another, and (b) Hume's own account of "ideas" conflates intellect with imagination anyway and so gets that part hopelessly wrong.

It's the second of these that puzzles you, because Hume himself did expressly regard mathematical knowledge as about "relations of ideas." But when Ed says that mathematical knowledge is notoriously hard to account for in this way, he isn't denying that Hume made this claim, just that it can be made good in a way that preserves mathematical knowledge as both objective and universal. He doesn't think Hume can protect such knowledge from his own Fork by replying, "Nay, not so; for mathematical Knowledge concerneth Relations, which do obtain, betwixt pale Copies of ſingular ſense Impreſsions."

Last edited by Scott (8/21/2015 6:37 pm)

8/21/2015 6:45 pm  #3

I'm in the car, so I don't have a lot of time to address this, but the idea that mathematics is just a relation of ideas, that is to say that it be merely analytic, was precisely what Bertrand Russell and Whitehead tried to show, and failed to show. I don't know where philosophy of mathematics stands on the idea now (since Platonism is still live. I suspect it's not settled), but it's not as if the attempt to demonstrate Hume's thesis hasn't been attempted and faltered already.

Last edited by iwpoe (8/22/2015 2:13 am)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

8/21/2015 6:53 pm  #4

The criticism that I've heard of Russell and Whitehead is this: that they tried to show that mathematics was about, not just relations of ideas, but relations of purely logical ideas and nothing else.  In particular, I've seen R&W criticised for trying to assimulate the idea of infinity to logic.  Critics argue that the idea of infinity (as used in mathematics) is irreducibly mathematical and can't be reduced to pure logic.

Hume could evade this criticism, because, for him, the ideas in "relations of ideas" aren't restricted to logical ideas.

Last edited by Tyrrell McAllister (8/21/2015 6:57 pm)

8/21/2015 7:04 pm  #5

Right, but in that case, and again I'm in the car, so I don't really have opportunity to look into this or develop it more fully (if anyone wants to take point for me that would be great), one suspects that he is is slipping the metaphysics that he would like to evade in through the back door. This is something that I haven't had to think about outside the context of Kant studies, so I would have to think the problem through again in terms of scholastic metaphysics, but I suspect that the usual Kantian criticisms of Hume's maneuver would still function except with slightly different emphasis.

Last edited by iwpoe (8/21/2015 7:06 pm)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

8/21/2015 7:04 pm  #6

But if Hume takes mathematical truths to be about relations between ideas according to his version of ideas, they're relations between particulars only; his account of ideas as "copies of singular sense impressions" doesn't leave room for universality. "Two plus two equal four," if true, could for him be true only of particular mental images. Nor would it be true of any objective extra-mental reality, although it might be true of certain exclusively mental events/entities.

At any rate, those are the reasons I take to be lurking behind Ed's remarks on Hume's Fork and mathematics. (I agree in principle that any such account of mathematical truth is problematic and unworkable, but I'm not sufficiently expert on Hume to know whether he genuinely defended such an account to the end of his days.)

Last edited by Scott (8/21/2015 7:10 pm)

8/21/2015 7:10 pm  #7

iwpoe wrote:

I'm in the car, so I don't have a lot of time to address this, but the idea that mathematics is just a relation of ideas, that is to say that it be merely analytic, was precisely what Burntrand Russell and Whitehead tried to show, and failed to show. I don't know where philosophy of mathematics stands on the idea now (since platonism is still live. I suspect it's not settled), but it's not as if the attempt to demonstrate Hume's thesis hasn't been attempted and faltered already.

The old logicism has pretty much collapsed due to results like Godel's incompleteness theorems. There are some neo-logicists out there still, but not many.

8/21/2015 7:13 pm  #8

Hume would have to accept that math isn't "true about extra-mental reality", because it is about ideas, which exist only in minds.  But he could still say that math is objective, in the same sense that there are objective truths about minds, even though these truths, trivially, aren't about extra-mental reality.

He has a problem with accounting how truths about "my idea of 2" could have anything to do with truths about "your idea of 2".  (When my idea of squaring is combined with my idea of 2 in a certain way, I get my idea of 4.  But this is supposed to reflect a truth about anyone's ideas, not just mine.)  But this is a general problem. (In what sense is your idea of gold "the same as" my idea of gold?)  It's not obviously a special problem for mathematical ideas.

Last edited by Tyrrell McAllister (8/21/2015 7:18 pm)

8/21/2015 7:17 pm  #9

John West wrote:

The old logicism has pretty much collapsed due to results like Godel's incompleteness theorems. There are some neo-logicists out there still, but not many.

Gödel's Theorems are a problem if you want to say that math is just about the logical consequences of a particular fixed set of axioms.  Mathematics proves to be "too rich" to be captured by any such set.  Can't the logicist just say that logic itself is similarly "too rich"?

8/21/2015 7:19 pm  #10

Tyrrell McAllister wrote:

He has a problem with accounting how truths about "my idea of 2" could have anything to do with truths about "your idea of 2".  (When my idea of squaring is combined with my idea of 2 in a certain way, I get my idea of 4.  But this supposed to reflect a truth about anyone's ideas, not just mine.)  But this is a general problem. (In what sense is your idea of gold "the same as" my idea of gold?)  It's not obviously a special problem for mathematical ideas.

That reminds me of Frege's criticism to the old psychologists, that they were unable to properly account for mathematical error.

Speaking of Frege, wouldn't Hume's view make necessary mathematical truths contingent on psychological or other contingent truths about minds?

Edit: I was typing when your latest post went up. In In the Light of Logic, Solomon Feferman writes about how foundations of mathematics is suffering from a sort of hangover after becoming drunk on grand reductionist schemes like the old logicism but, Feferman argues, mathematics doesn't need such extreme schemes as its foundations.

Tyrrell McAllister wrote:

Gödel's Theorems are a problem if you want to say that math is just about the logical consequences of a particular fixed set of axioms.  Mathematics proves to be "too rich" to be captured by any such set.  Can't the logicist just say that logic itself is similarly "too rich"?

I think so, yes. Godel's theorems were a problem for some very specific projects that people are still hypnotized by only.

Last edited by John West (8/21/2015 8:45 pm)

Board footera