Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2015 5:29 am  #1

Evola's refutation of scholasticism

Hi everyone, this is my first posting on this community so i thought it best to post here in the beginners section as being new to all of this. 
I had a discussion with someone very recently about Aristotlelian philosophy who suggested i read Evola's refutation of scholasticism 
I was wondering if anyone has come across this refutation & have any thoughts or criticisms of it, many thanks 

8/09/2015 5:32 am  #2

Re: Evola's refutation of scholasticism

What's it titled? Anti-Schoolasticism is probably something we should take up.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

8/09/2015 5:50 am  #3

Dan.Harte wrote:

Hi everyone, this is my first posting on this community so i thought it best to post here in the beginners section as being new to all of this. 
I had a discussion with someone very recently about Aristotlelian philosophy who suggested i read Evola's refutation of scholasticism 
I was wondering if anyone has come across this refutation & have any thoughts or criticisms of it, many thanks 

Which book does it feature in?

(Having said that I wouldn't expect anything much in philosophical terms of Evola - what is interesting in his work is lifted straight from Guénon and what is not from spurious Fascist metaphysical aggrandisement)

8/09/2015 6:30 am  #4

Heres a link to the document.
As im a new member,  im unable to provide a direct link but if you copy this into your browser you should find it easily enough

docslide.us/documents/evolas-refutation-of-scholasticism

8/09/2015 7:04 am  #5

The document also talks about Louis Rougier as one of the main figures of French epistemology who fought against the revival of scholastic philosophy in France

8/09/2015 7:08 am  #6

I haven't read Evola, but I own his Revolt Against the Modern World. From what I have heard of him, there is a mingling of things that greatly interest me and others that turn me off. He has a Nietzchean streak that isn't my cup of tea. I have heard he was a particular authority on spiritual alchemy and Hermeticism. Despite the fact that I sometimes call myself a Platonist-Hermeticist, theurgy/ spiritual alchemy has not been something I have delved into much. 

Skimming over the document linked, though I am no proper judge, it does seem to hold the semblence of a respectable argument, though others more knowledgeable would be better judges. As far as I can make out Evola is making a more or less Platonic criticism of Scholasticism for neglecting noetic knowledge and for drawing a real distinction between essence and existence - two points he connects.

8/09/2015 8:34 am  #7

His argument is largely based on appealing to Rougier’s le politicale prattle about Aristotle’s own philosophy being different from that of his scholastic interpreters, followed by a discussion of Kantian rubbish about existence leading to a Divine Solipsism of Pure Will. Apologies for the strong words - I have a pathologically low tolerance to Francophone agitationsism or mechanical repetitions of Kant.

Guénon has interesting things to say about the relationship between immanent and transcendent universals in Scholasticism in Crisis of the Modern World amongst other volumes.

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I have heard he was a particular authority on spiritual alchemy and Hermeticism. Despite the fact that I sometimes call myself a Platonist-Hermeticist, theurgy/ spiritual alchemy has not been something I have delved into much.

I wouldn't reckon his volume on Symbolism (The Hermetic Tradition) - it's tainted by a spurius ‘rebellious warrior elite’ mysticism of his own devising. Titus Burckhardt's Alchemey book is infinitely superior.

Last edited by DanielCC (8/09/2015 8:39 am)

Board footera