Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/12/2015 4:09 am  #1

Medieval Logic and Predication

So I know that post-Russell post-Frege a lot of core aspects of philosophy of logic were simply abandoned for a set of new as I understand it jejunely anti-traditional logical assumptions. This was not a topic I'd yet directly addressed in my own work. Then I ran into this page by a self-styled "Wittgensteinian Trotskyist" attempting to critique Hegel's logic.

(http://www.anti-dialectics.co.uk/Outline_of_errors_Hegel_committed_01.htm#Hegels_Clangers_)

Where Hegel Screwed Up

'The Identity Theory Of Predication'

Dialectical 'Logic' [DL] derives from (1) Hegel's serious misconstrual of Aristotle's logic, (2) His acceptance of a throw-away comment he found in Spinoza's unpublished writings (i.e., that "every determination is also a negation", which neither Hegel nor Spinoza even so much as attempted to justify), and from (3) A logico-linguistic dodge invented in the Middle Ages.

As a result, Hegel thought that certain sentences contained an in-built contradiction.

If we use Lenin's example, we can see where this idea came from, and hence where it goes astray:

J1: John is a man.

[Hegel in fact used the sentence, "The rose is red".]

First of all, Hegel accepted a theory invented by Medieval Roman Catholic Theologians (now called the Identity Theory of Predication), which re-interprets propositions like J1 in the following manner:

J2: John is identical with Manhood.

The former "is" of predication has now been replaced by an "is" of identity.

[Predication involves saying something about someone or something. So, J1 can be used to say something about John. "John" is the subject, and "a man" is the predicate expression. The verb "is" linking them is called the "copula". When this "is" is turned into an "is" of identity, J1 becomes the following monstrosity: "John is identical with a man." That is why J2 is often used in its place, even though it, too, is bizarre.]

Greatly simplified, the argument then went roughly as follows: Since John can't be identical with a general term ("a man"/"Manhood" -- or, rather, with what it supposedly represents, a Universal), we must conclude the following:

J3: John is not identical with Manhood.

The argument then continued: however, if John is a man, he must be identical with (or, at least, he must share in) what other men are, so we must now conclude:

J4: John is not not identical with Manhood.

Or, more simply:

J5: John is not a non-man.

Hard though this might be to believe, out of this was born the Negation of the Negation and the Unity and Interpenetration of Opposites -- the entire dialectic concocted from a re-configuration of a diminutive participle of the verb "to be" -- namely, "is"!

[Readers who might prefer to consult Hegel's argument in all its glory can access it here. Its logical ramifications are spelt out in detail in a (Marxist) paper I have reproduced (and then criticised), here. Lenin transcribed much of this material from Hegel into his Philosophical Notebooks, and wrote in the margin: "This is very important for understanding dialectics." In relation to that, and the philosophical background to Hegel's argument (which was in fact a response to David Hume's criticism of rationalist theories of causation) -- as well as Lenin's appropriation of this aspect of Hegel's theory -- see here. (Rationalism is explained here.)]

Anyway, Hegel thought this showed that movement was built into our concepts as thought passes from one pole (one opposite conclusion) to another (i.e., from conclusions about John to negations and then double negations about him), which suggested to Hegel that speculative (i.e., properly 'philosophical') thought, and thus all of reality, had dialectics built into it.

[He concluded this about 'reality' since he was an Absolute Idealist and believed that such thoughts mirrored, if not constituted the world.]

It also led Hegel into casting doubt on the validity of the so-called 'Law of Identity' [LOI] -- a 'Law', incidentally, that can't be found in Aristotle's work -- despite what many dialecticians would have us believe. It, too, was invented by Medieval Roman Catholic Theologians.

Ignoring the critique of Hegel here, I was mainly triggered by the use of "Medieval Roman Catholic Theologians" as a slur, and I thought to myself 'I know where to find some of those.'

Is this *anywhere close* to a decent account of the Medieval account of predication? If not, in what respect?

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

10/12/2015 9:00 am  #2

Re: Medieval Logic and Predication

Hello Poe,

Is this *anywhere close* to a decent account of the Medieval account of predication? If not, in what respect?

I've never heard of a medieval “identity theory of predication”, but would be surprised if any medieval logician allowed the shift from J1 to J2.

Assume the move from “T is a man” to “T is identical with Manhood” is valid. Stephen Harper is a man. Hence, Stephen Harper is identical with Manhood. Barack Obama is a man. Hence, Barack Obama is identical with Manhood. It's a truism that a universal must be strictly identical in each of its instances. Hence, Stephen Harper and Barack Obama are strictly identical to each other. [url=http://i.cbc.ca/1.1668575.1379079759!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/li-stephen-harper-620-rtr33.jpg]Stephen Harper[/url] and Barack Obama are not strictly identical to each other. Hence, Stephen Harper and Barack Obama are and are not strictly identical to each other. Therefore, the move from “T is a man” to “T is identical with Manhood” is not valid.[1][2]

Medieval logics had the notion of different modes of supposition. Supposition here is the reference that a certain kind of term has in the context of a proposition.[3]

In the article, a move from “John is a man” to “John is identical with a man" would at least yield two true propositions, because “a man” has the personal mode of supposition in both propositions. It refers to a particular or individual. In contrast, the move from “John is a man” to “John is identical with Manhood” yields a false proposition, because “Manhood” has the simple mode of supposition. It has to do with a kind.

Alternatively, it just confuses being a specific man with having the property of "being human" (or, perhaps, "being male" which has similar issues). In the first case above, the terms "John" and "a man" in "John is a man" and "John is identical with a man" are both singular terms referring to the same individual: John. In the latter case, "John" is a singular term but "Manhood" isn't. Either way, I think medieval logicians would have considered the move from J1 to J2 a simple mistake.

I know that post-Russell post-Frege a lot of core aspects of philosophy of logic were simply abandoned for a set of new as I understand it jejunely anti-traditional logical assumptions

I wouldn't say Fregean logic is jejune (or, for that matter, anti-traditional). Fregean logic lacks a theory of modes of supposition, but the move from “T is a man” to “T is identical to Man” is invalid in it anyway.

Out of curiosity, what do you have in mind when you write “a lot of core aspects of philosophy of logic were simply abandoned”?

[1]It's also worth noting that (If Stephen Harper is a man, then Stephen Harper is identical with Manhood) is a counterexample for the theorem the move would involve.
[2]The theory fails on Ockham's logic too, because on Ockhamism “Manhood” is just a concept. Stephen Harper is more than a concept.
[3]In Missing Modes of Supposition, Terence Parsons writes “the word 'supposition' is probably interchangeable with our word 'reference'”. I think some maintain that “suppositing” is unique because reference doesn't, for example, necessarily apply to “Man” in “Man is a species” (ie. If certain nominalists are right). I'm not too concerned about this technical dispute—if there is one—here.

Last edited by John West (10/12/2015 10:47 am)

10/12/2015 10:50 am  #3

John West wrote:

Out of curiosity, what do you have in mind when you write “a lot of core aspects of philosophy of logic were simply abandoned”?

I have always been told that issues of being and universality, which were previously at least ambiuguious in philosophy of logic, are subject to an attempt at merely functional disposal. Since this is not a place I've spent time, I've got that almost entirely second hand. If that's *not* so then I was maleducated on the point, though it does seem obvious just *reading* Russell and company causually, that the early founders of the change in logic do conclude far more about the philosophy of logic and its corelates than is justified by the system.

I would be interested in a text on the specific changes that occurred in philosophy by way of technical advancement in logic between 1800 and 1945 or so. The attitude of both Russell and Wittgenstein towards the old logic inspired in me some interest in the history of it both interest in Medieval logic and Fred Sommers' work.

Last edited by iwpoe (10/12/2015 12:49 pm)

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

10/12/2015 5:58 pm  #4

The claim that the Law of Identity can't be found in Aristotle is a little odd too. It's true (I think) that he didn't expressly formulate it, but he seems pretty clearly to be relying on it here (scroll down to the first seven paragraphs of Part 4).

10/12/2015 7:16 pm  #5

Scott wrote:

The claim that the Law of Identity can't be found in Aristotle is a little odd too. It's true (I think) that he didn't expressly formulate it, but he seems pretty clearly to be relying on it here (scroll down to the first seven paragraphs of Part 4).

I took that claim to be merely the usual kind of unimaginative shitty reading I see when people are trying to make a point they don't know how to make. When, for instance, Jehovah's Witnesses deny that the Trinity is present in the Bible, because they can't draw a basic inferences.

Last edited by iwpoe (10/12/2015 7:18 pm)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

10/14/2015 5:47 pm  #6

I've had author corrispondence on the post:

Rosa Lichtenstein wrote:

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your communication, although I am somewhat baffled by the responses I have just read over at your Forum. Here is one, for example:

"I've never heard of a medieval 'identity theory of predication'"

Perhaps this individual needs to read, say, Buridan and Ockham, only more carefully?

I actually derived the name for this theory from the late Professor Geach (a noted authority on the history of logic, as I am sure you are aware), who, so it happens, taught me logic; he used this term in lectures I attended back in 1978. Here is the relevant part of an essay of his --  'History of the Corruptions of Logic' -- where he calls it the 'Two Name'/'Term Theory':

"Aristotle's fall into the two-term theory was only the beginning of a long degeneration. Aristotle never rejected the distinction between an expression's naming an object and an expression's being truly predicated of an object, though of course his theory committed him to saying that one and the same expression could stand now in one relation, now in the other. But it is a natural further step to identify naming with being predicable of and to declare explicitly that the two terms of a categorical [proposition -- RL] are two names. So we pass from the two-term theory to the two-name theory. This two-name theory is best known in England from John Stuart Mill's Logic; Mill explicitly calls terms 'names', and speaks of many-worded names when he means syntactically complex terms. And Mill's term 'denoting' simply embodies the fundamental confusion of the two-name theory between the relations of being a name of and being predicable of.

"Mill was not a very subtle or hard-working formal logician; his main interests lay elsewhere. The two-name theory has had a long history and much stronger representatives than Mill. It was the predominant theory of the Middle Ages, and was expounded by such great men as William of Ockham and Jean Buridan; though there was a minority party of logicians who insisted that naming and predicating were radically distinct, and this minority had the support of Aquinas.... The two-name theory is like the theory that planetary motion has to be reduced to uniform circular motion. Mill's version of the theory is like a crude astronomy in which each planet moves in a simple circular orbit around the Sun; its breakdown is manifest. By increasing the number of logical devices we get something like Copernicus' astronomy, which by assuming considerable complexity of circles would fit the facts with few notable discrepancies. But just as Kepler could sweep away this complexity at the price of introducing a more sophisticated geometrical construction -- an ellipse instead of a circle -- so we get a simpler and more powerful logical theory if we distinguish names and predicables from the outset.

"Let us briefly consider some of the special troubles of the two-name theory. If what is predicated has to be a name, we get one or other of two awkward consequences. We may find ourselves recognizing as names what by any decent standard are not names, like 'on the mat', 'going to the fair'. Or we may insist that a predicate-term be properly dressed as a noun-like phrase, that it be 'put into logical form', before we will recognize it as a term, or as a predicate at all. 'Brutus stabbed Caesar' clearly says, predicates, something about Brutus and also something about Caesar. A man who has good logical perceptions will see this directly from the meaning of the sentence. But a two-namer cannot officially recognize that a predication is there at all until he has before his eyes the appropriate pair of names, say, 'Brutus' and 'stabber of Caesar' or 'Caesar' and 'one stabbed by Brutus'. Of course, he then owes us an explanation of how such many-worded names as 'stabber of Caesar' and 'one stabbed by Brutus' may be formed from 'Brutus stabbed Caesar'....

"If a proposition consists of two names, it must also contain a linking element to hold them together; remember Plato's point that a mere string of names does not make up an intelligible bit of discourse. Two-name logicians in fact assign such a linking role to the grammatical copula, in English the verb 'is' or 'are'. This was a further departure from Aristotle, who held that a proposition may consist simply of two terms. (The verb 'applies to' in the schema 'A applies to B' was meant only to give a sentence a lecturer can pronounce, not to supply a link between 'A' and 'B'.) And so there arose many perplexities as to the import of the copula.

"For the two-name theory, the copula has to be a copula of identity. For, in its pure form, the two-name theory says that an affirmative proposition is true because the subject and predicate terms name one and the same thing: 'Socrates is a philosopher' is true because one of the individuals named by the common name 'philosopher' is also named by the proper name 'Socrates'. But it is easy to slide away from this position. On the two-name theory, the common name 'philosopher' is here used as [the] name of every philosopher. But if we express this carelessly in the form

The term 'philosopher' denotes all philosophers

then it is easy to slide over to the view that what 'philosopher' denotes ...is not any and every philosopher, but rather the class of all philosophers.

"By this slide the rake's progress of logic that I have described has reached its last and most degraded phase: the two-class theory of categoricals. The subject and predicate are now said to denote two classes. (The terms are also said to be two classes; for the writers who hold the two-class theory are mostly very neglectful indeed of the distinction between sign and thing signified.)...." [Geach (1972b), pp.51-53. Italic emphases in the original. There then follow several rather technical objections to this theory; anyone interested can now read these on-line, here.]

Geach, P. (1972a), Logic Matters (Blackwell).

Geach, P. (1972b), 'History Of The Corruptions Of Logic', in Geach (1972a), pp.44-61.

I quoted the above at length in an Essay you and others at that Forum seem not to have read (where the links I  have inserted can also be accessed):

http://www.anti-dialectics.co.uk/page%2003_01.htm

In that essay, I also reference Gyula Klima's work on Jean Buridan (and Klima, another noted expert, does use this term):

"As this example may already suggest, for Buridan the copula is a sign of identity: for him, an affirmative categorical proposition is true if and only if its terms refer to the same thing or things at the time connoted by its copula, as required by the quantity of the proposition.
"There are a number of things we should clarify in connection with this apparently simple claim, which expresses what historians of medieval logic dubbed the identity theory of predication." [Bold added.]

Klima, Gyula (No Date), 'The Essentialist Nominalism Of Jean Buridan'.

The above link should work if you directly access the Essay in question -- or paste this into your address line:

http://legacy.fordham.edu/gsas/phil/klima/FILES/BuridansEssentialism.pdf

Someone else at your Forum says that they think the 'Law of Identity' can be found in Aristotle's work -- I have covered this topic in more detail here:

http://www.anti-dialectics.co.uk/page%2004.htm#Note 1

http://www.anti-dialectics.co.uk/page%2004.htm#Dialectical-Inanities

[If you are using Internet Explorer 10 (or later), the above links won't work properly unless you switch to 'Compatibility View' (in the Tools Menu); for IE11 select 'Compatibility View Settings' and then add my site. I have no idea what will happen if you use the new Microsoft Edge.]

Where, among other things, I quote Aristotle's Metaphysics:

"Now 'why a thing is itself' is doubtless a meaningless inquiry; for the fact or the existence of the thing must already be evident (e.g. that the moon is eclipsed) but the fact that a thing is itself is the single formula and the single cause to all such questions as why the man is man, or the musical musical, unless one were to say that each thing is inseparable from itself; and its being one just meant this. This, however, is common to all things and is a short and easy way with the question." [Aristotle (1984e), p.1643; Book VII, Part 17.]

This seems rather dismissive of the aforementioned 'law', does it not?

I also consider several passages that have been used to argue for the opposite conclusion, such as the one alluded to by one of those who contributed to your Forum.

Finally, my intention in these essays isn't to attack Medieval Logic (for which I have great respect largely because of the influence of Peter Geach), but to attack Hegel and Dialectical Materialism. In which case, in that essay, I am not really interested in what Medieval Logicians might have to say about its arguments/conclusions, but at the use to which this theory was put by Hegel, Engels and Lenin. I also noted this at the top of the Essay:

"This is an elementary summary of some of Hegel's more important logical blunders; it has been written for those new to the subject, not experts. This isn't meant to be an academic exercise, so the many complications that logicians are aware of in this area have had to be ignored. I have posted four much more detailed and technical analyses of Hegel's many errors here, here, here and here...."

Again, the above links should work if you access the original essay:

http://www.anti-dialectics.co.uk/Outline_of_errors_Hegel_committed_01.htm

In which case, as I also noted, I have had to make sure my arguments aren't obscured by the sort of considerations one of your administrators (John West), for example, outlines. 

Anyway, several of the things baldy asserted at your Forum (by John West) are, as I am sure you must also know, highly controversial and are still being contested, and not just by Peter Geach. Once more, my aim isn't to stir up, or contribute to, endless academic debate (for goodness sake, logicians have been hammering away at this topic for millennia), but to make a political point to those who already accept Marxism, not those who don't.

Hope that helps -- let me know if I can assist you further.

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

10/14/2015 6:12 pm  #7

It looks like Ms. Lichtenstein got the term “the identity theory of predication” from this paper by Gyula Klima. He writes:

As this example may already suggest, for Buridan the copula is a sign of identity: for him, an affirmative categorical proposition is true if and only if its terms refer to the same thing or things at the time connoted by its copula, as required by the quantity of the proposition.

There are a number of things we should clarify in connection with this apparently simple claim, which expresses what historians of medieval logic dubbed the identity theory of predication.

Klima then goes on to explain that by “refer to” he really means supposits for, which is similar to “refer to” but not quite the same (see my footnote [3] above).

To explain the identity theory of predication, I'll need Buridan's distinction between absolute terms and connotative terms. Connotative terms signify "something in relation to something or some things” (p. 4). For example, “wealthy” in “Cicero is wealthy” is a connotative term, because it signifies Cicero in relation to his wealth. That is to say, it only supposits for Cicero if he is wealthy at the time connoted by “is”. So, on the identity theory of predication, “Cicero is wealthy” is true if and only if “Cicero” and “wealthy” supposit for the identical thing (Cicero) at the time connoted by “is” (if Cicero is poor, “wealthy” doesn't supposit for him and the proposition is false).

Absolute terms are essential predicates of the things they signify; they signify them without relation to anything else. For instance, “man” in “Cicero is a man” is an absolute term, because the only way it can cease to supposit for Cicero is if he goes out of existence. For Buridan, “Cicero is a man” is true if and only if both “Cicero” and “a man” supposit for Cicero at the time connoted by the copula “is” (and is true any time Cicero exists). In other words, the identity theory of predication states that "Cicero is a man" is true if and only if both “Cicero” and “a man” supposit for the “identical” thing at the time connoted by “is”. 

In short, the identity theory of predication has nothing to do with translating “is” to “is 'identical' with”, but with the terms “A” and “B” of the proposition “A is B” suppositing for the "identical" thing or things. I encourage everyone to read the paper demonstrating this that Ms. Lichtenstein both links and quotes from at me.[1]

[1]Anyone interested in Ockham's logic should check out Alexander Broadie's Introduction to Medieval Logic (a search will turn up a less expensive PDF copy). It's false that anything in my first post is controversial, and any introduction to medieval logic will show it.

10/21/2015 7:09 am  #8

Apologies, I am merely making two 'empty' posts so that my third post will be allowed to include links!

10/21/2015 7:09 am  #9

This is the last of these 'empty' posts. Apologies, once again!

10/21/2015 7:10 am  #10

John, thank you for those comments. Here is an e-mail (slightly edited) I sent to another of your members (who apprised me of this thread), which appears not to have been posted:

Hi, XXXX (name removed), 

I notice that John West now alleges that what I have to say about the controversial things he alleges is "false", but he admits he hadn't even heard of the 'identity theory of predication' (a term well known to logicians, and for many years (see below), and not just those expert in medieval logic). By way of 'proof' he offers us an introductory text! 

Well, perhaps he should upgrade his knowledge a little by checking out more academically sound sources, such as this, for example: 

T Aho and M Yrjonsuuri, 'Late Medieval Logic', pp.11-77 of: The Development of Modern Logic (Oxford, 2009), edited by L Haaparanta. 

See also: Peter Geach's 'Form and Existence' in God and the Soul (Routledge, 1969), and P Symington, On Determining What There Is. The Identity of Ontological Categories in Aquinas, Scotus and Lowe (Walter de Gruyter, 2010), chapters One to Three -- both of whom refer to the 'identity theory of predication' (the latter on page 77, for instance; the former on page 43 -- indeed, Symington devotes a whole section to this 'theory' -- Chapter 3). 

As well as: S Sousedík, 'Toward a Thomistic Theory of Predication', pp.247-56 of: Lukáš Novák, Daniel D. Novotný, Prokop Sousedík, and David Svoboda, Metaphysics: Aristotelian, Scholastic, Analytic (Walter de Gruyter, 2012). 

And:  H Lagerlund,  Modal Syllogistics in the Middle Ages (E J Brill, 2000), Chapter 3 'Richard of Campsall'. 

Need I go on? There are many other works I could reference (that John seems not to have read, or perhaps even heard of) -- the idea, but not the term, even appears in standard histories of logic, such as that authored by William and Martha Kneale --, for example, in their discussion of Abelard's theory of the copula, pp.206-10, and that of William of Shyreswood, pp.248-50 -- The Development of Logic (Oxford, 1975) --, where the controversies I allege to have existed in the 'Middle Ages' (which apparently are 'false'!) are also highlighted (pp.198-297). 

Also check this out: 

http://maverickphilosopher.typepad.com/maverick_philosopher/2012/11/stanislav-sousediks-towards-a-thomistic-theory-of-predication.html 

The only point I wish to make, however, is that John's ideas are controversial (whatever he asserts to the contrary) -- even medieval logicians debated these issues endlessly -- and they are still being thrashed out by logicians --, as the above sources indicate. Now, I do not wish to take sides on the complex 'medieval' discussion of such issues (I am happy to leave that to those who seem to know more about it than John); as I suggested in my last e-mail my overall aim is to attack the bowdlerised 'theory' (which, as I am sure even John will agree, was a caricature of 'Medieval Logic') that Hegel inherited and inadvertently passed on to Engels and Lenin, for example. 

Hope that clears things up.

Last edited by Rosa Lichtenstein (10/21/2015 7:44 am)

Board footera