Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



7/05/2015 3:45 pm  #21


Re: Aristotelian Resources

John West wrote:

DanielCC wrote:

Certainly the Scholastics deserve a thread of their own if not one dedicated to each of the major figures.

It would be good to have a thread for each of the major scholastics. The number of works on each and in each school will easily get lost in an "Aristotelian" thread. There are simply a lot of resources for each major school of scholasticism.

 
Although he's not strictly a Scholastic, should I make a resource thread for Maimonides?


Noli turbare circulos meos.
 

7/05/2015 4:07 pm  #22


Re: Aristotelian Resources

If we are to have a resource thread for the major Scholastics, we may need a philosophy resource subforum, lest half the first page of philosophy forum be pinned resource threads.

One on Maimonides sounds good to me.
 

     Thread Starter
 

7/05/2015 4:12 pm  #23


Re: Aristotelian Resources

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

If we are to have a resource thread for the major Scholastics, we may need a philosophy resource subforum, lest half the first page of philosophy forum be pinned resource threads.
 

Seems fine to me.

 

7/05/2015 4:51 pm  #24


Re: Aristotelian Resources

DanielCC wrote:

iwpoe wrote:

DanielCC wrote:

Que:

The life story of 'a man who moves from natural theology to natural science' is Darwin's biography. Darwin initially studied to become an Anglican Parson and was higly impressed by Paley's book on natural theology.

I know this (and more fool him for the Paley enthusiasm).
 

Oh, I see. I read it in Spanish also, but then didn't correct myself because I've never had occasion to write out the word que. Is that how it's spelled?


Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger
 

7/05/2015 4:53 pm  #25


Re: Aristotelian Resources

Etzelnik wrote:

John West wrote:

DanielCC wrote:

Certainly the Scholastics deserve a thread of their own if not one dedicated to each of the major figures.

It would be good to have a thread for each of the major scholastics. The number of works on each and in each school will easily get lost in an "Aristotelian" thread. There are simply a lot of resources for each major school of scholasticism.

 
Although he's not strictly a Scholastic, should I make a resource thread for Maimonides?

Does the equivalent Judaic movement have its own name? I've seen Jewish philosophy used, but that's obviously too broad a label.


Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger
 

7/05/2015 5:41 pm  #26


Re: Aristotelian Resources

From the context I think this question is directed at me even though it's not my post that's quoted. If I've misunderstood, then sorry to interrupt.

iwpoe wrote:

Oh, I see. I read it in Spanish also, but then didn't correct myself because I've never had occasion to write out the word que. Is that how it's spelled?

Yes, the Spanish word "que" ("what," as in "¿Qué pasa?") is spelled that way (but with a diacritical mark on the e that I didn't previously include and that non-native speakers, at least, often don't bother with online).

"Queue," of course (a homonym of "cue," the word DanielCC wanted), is spelled with two back-to-back ues, and it's undoubtedly where the q came from

Last edited by Scott (7/05/2015 5:44 pm)

 

7/05/2015 6:07 pm  #27


Re: Aristotelian Resources

No, I meant I've never had occasion to write out queue. You have just now taught me how to spell it.


Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger
 

7/05/2015 7:10 pm  #28


Re: Aristotelian Resources

iwpoe wrote:

No, I meant I've never had occasion to write out queue. You have just now taught me how to spell it.

Ah, I did misunderstand. Well, there you go, then. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

 

7/05/2015 7:29 pm  #29


Re: Aristotelian Resources

iwpoe wrote:

Does the equivalent Judaic movement have its own name? I've seen Jewish philosophy used, but that's obviously too broad a label.

 
No, not really. Colloquially one who sticks strongly to Maimonides is called a Rambamist, but we generally associate the trends in Jewish Philosophy with the general movements it draws from.


Noli turbare circulos meos.
 

7/17/2015 7:41 pm  #30


Re: Aristotelian Resources

Etzelnik,

A Rambam resources thread seems fine. Since only Jeremy can sticky posts in this forum, however, it will have to wait for Jeremy before becoming a sticky.

Last edited by John West (7/17/2015 8:14 pm)

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum