Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2016 3:43 pm  #1

Scott Ryan

Hi everyone,

I've just received the sad news that Scott died last Thursday, when an ulcer in his stomach burst. I'm told the crash team was there very quickly, but couldn't do anything to save him.

Scott had told me about a week ago that he wasn't feeling well. Then on Thursday morning that he was “in the hospital for some heart and liver stuff”.

I hope you'll all keep him and his family in your prayers.

2/28/2016 4:40 pm  #2

Re: Scott Ryan

Jesus! That can happen?

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

2/28/2016 5:15 pm  #3

Wow, that is sad news. May he rest in peace.

2/28/2016 7:16 pm  #4

May he rest in peace.

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

2/29/2016 7:00 am  #5

I'm crying....

May God bless his family and his soul rest in Peace. I hope you're holding up well John.

3/01/2016 6:38 am  #6

I pray he is eternally beholding the Most Beautiful Vision with Aquinas.

Thank you Scott for all you have done and the help you gave me.

3/03/2016 8:52 am  #7

Scott was one of the most helpful and unpretentiously serious internet philosophical commentators I, and I'm sure many others, have had the good fortune to meet. His presence both on Ed's blog and the Classical Theism boards will be greatly missed.

On a more personal note: news of his passing only reached me a couple of days. After initials reactions of shock and confusion I was surprised by how tranquil I felt about it (apologies if this sounds cold or insensitive; the feeling was the reverse) – like other regulars on Ed’s blog I’d watched the evolution of Scott’s religious views, his eventual acceptance of Catholic Christianity and his ongoing admission into the Church. Through-out all of this he was a model of humility and graciousness. As someone once said: ‘Do not weep for what was became of the dead; weep for what we have lost’.

Just in case anyone here isn't aware Scott was also author of a fine book critiquing the supposedly Aristotelian backdrop of Ayn Rand's philosophy, in particular her understanding of the nature of universals, entitled Objectivism and the Corruption of Rationality. He was generous enough to make the full PDF available through Scholardarity:

Objectivism and the Corruption of Rationality: A Critique of Ayn Rand's Epistemology

3/03/2016 9:56 am  #8

I have actually read parts of Scott's book without knowing it was his. It's good if you're interested in the topic.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/03/2016 10:00 am  #9

The question I put in front of myself at night is, "Who is going to fill the boots of this Philosophical heavyweight?" 

He has been such an amazing philosopher, a heavy weight for sure, one that I always kept in mind whenever I had any philosophical question. I'm so disheartened by his departure, he's in a better place. But we're left without him, and this is a very dark sight to behold. And you are right, my heart is weeping because we have lost such a champion of the faith.

May you enjoy the beatific vision to your hearts content, Scott. And may we carry on with our journey with the model humility and graciousness and rigor he possessed.

3/05/2016 12:20 pm  #10

Scott's demise a tough loss to the forum. He consistently made the most informative comments to educate people on A-T philosophy, of which he had an in-depth grasp. Scott was the best that Dr. Feser's fan club had on offer. He is irreplaceable.

May he rest in peace. May the forum continue as a solidly committed resource for A-T philosophy and classical theism in his honour.

Board footera