Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/26/2015 6:25 am  #1

Suggesstions for the forums and issues for moderation.

I have set up various subforums and areas of the board. I wasn't really sure whether to categorise the philosophy forums by schools of thought or branches of philosophy (metaphysics, ethics, etc.). I tentively thought that the former would be best, but alongside subforums for branches of philosohpy (especially philosophy of mathematics) that seem better off housed independently.

Though Classical Theism is obviously the particular focus on the board, once we include the related issues of the theistic religions and mystical currents, as well as philosophy of religion in general, is obviously a very broad range of topics are welcome, even without considering politics and the like, covering most philosophical or religous topics. Hopefully this won't distract from the emphasis on Classical Theism.

If anyone has suggestions, feedback, or moderating issues, feel free to post them on this thread or in this forum.

6/26/2015 6:30 am  #2

Re: Suggesstions for the forums and issues for moderation.

See my - http://classicaltheism.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3

Also, don't think like a philosopher (where things go where they best fit), but rather think like a salesman / advertiser (where things go where they make the most impact). 

Last edited by iwpoe (6/26/2015 6:42 am)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

6/26/2015 6:39 am  #3

I see what you mean. I will see what everyone thinks and probably condense the subforums tomorrow.

6/26/2015 6:45 am  #4

Sure. I'll wait on consensus.

When we get things trimmed up, I'll show you how to grow us up over time. The hardest thing in the world right now will be quality long term growth, but once you get in a few good markets (and we have one), with a good service (which I think we can provide), then you'll be able to grow this place well beyond even what you've got now. 

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

6/26/2015 6:47 am  #5

I decided I might as well change the forum now. Probably better to grow the categories later than have to shrink them later.

6/26/2015 6:55 am  #6

Generally that's true. Your rule ought to be: 'I will only allow this forum if I think it will get content- even if I have to post the content my damn self.'

I think right now we should focus on getting good enough to (1) provide a good place for discussing every article Feser writes (and that probably ought to get a special forum, to which we can posts links in his combox) and (2) to eventually merit a link on Feser's blog as well as, hopefully, a number of other similar such blogs. 

Do any of our other members know any other good places like Feser's blog that will draw us compatibly good audiences? If we aren't reliant on Feser as a channel but we can still target in a very specific way we can build a good core.

Last edited by iwpoe (6/26/2015 6:58 am)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

6/26/2015 7:23 am  #7

Conversations within branches of philosophy usually focus on philosophy; conversations within "authors" usually focus on history and exegesis..People usually all stay in one part of a forum anyway, though.

Last edited by John West (6/26/2015 7:27 am)

6/26/2015 7:32 am  #8

Well, I would run Feser's forum like this:

1. Watch his blog like a hawk.
2. As soon as he posts a new blog entry (excluding maybe book reviews and "roundups") post a thread.
3. Contribute to the combox like normal, and then shortly into the combox post a link to the thread where you're working out issues in more detail (make sure to actually be working on issues in more detail, even if it's just a bit more complicated than the combox).

This is our core service right now. Eventually, after awhile, some part of our audience will want to use this place to talk about other things. We might mainly have eveyone in 2 fourms, who knows, but we'll have to see as time goes on.

Last edited by iwpoe (6/26/2015 7:33 am)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

6/26/2015 7:36 am  #9

I'm not sure splitting the conversation between two places will better it in either.

6/26/2015 7:40 am  #10

You mean between the blog and here or two places here?

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera