Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2016 1:29 am  #1

Can someone give an argument against atheism in this subreddit?

It's on reddit called /r/debateanatheist

Please, somebody rek them. I want to see what they will do.

5/14/2016 1:48 am  #2

Re: Can someone give an argument against atheism in this subreddit?

In my experience they are so committed to the 'stupid Christians make 1 of 5 fallacies I learned last week' Bill Maher style of debate that they will either ignore you or do their very best to distort what you're saying into their framework. If that doesn't work they will shift tactics to a self- preserving general skepticism while they virtue signal about gay marriage, women, or "science™".

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

5/14/2016 3:56 am  #3

Well in my experience on reddit the second you ask one of these guys how much philosophy they know when you see them "attack" an argument for the existence of God they either don't respond or try to avoid answering the question. Observe: https://www.reddit.com/r/DebateReligion/comments/4h9uao/can_god_experience_negative_emotions_like_hate/d2slav8?context=3

5/15/2016 8:51 am  #4

I got tired of arguing with internet atheists. I'll have some time over the next few weeks, though, so maybe I'll think about it.

I wouldn't ask something like how much philosophy an internet atheist has read. There is no point because the answer is obvious (very little) and it just irritates them, since they are so convinced that they are Rational and that philosophy is unnecessary for brights like them. What you need to do is show them why it is thoroughly tendentious to respond to someone who just cited Aquinas by saying that he has been "thoroughly discredited." i.e. say "Well, those claims have been made by Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan, Lawrence Krauss, A.C. Grayling, etc., but they have been thoroughly discredited."

Last edited by Greg (5/15/2016 8:58 am)

6/10/2016 1:44 pm  #5

Well, it is not merely that most atheists are ignorant of philosophy, but so are most scientists, which is why when scientists (like Richard Dawkins) make their terrible attempts to either be philosophical or criticise real philosophers, they fail miserabely...all the while patting themselves on the back for their own "rhetorical" brilliance. 

On top of that, most internet atheists suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect.  They think they know science, when, in fact, their knowledge is so poor that they are unable to accurately assess that knowledge.  The result is that they speak with great confidence about matters far beyond their actual understanding. 

The same is true of scientists ignorance of philosophy. 

Http://qz.com/627989/why-are-so-many-smart-people-such-idiots-about-philosophy/utm_source=YPL$ref=yfp

Mostly, they just do not want to do the work involved in serious philosophical analysis, and they cannot understand the need because they are so bound up in what Edward Feser calls scientism.

Mostly, I have given up trying to teach pigs to sing.  It doesn't work and it annoys the pigs.  "Cast not your pearls..." Mt 7:6.

Board footera