Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2016 4:51 am  #1

Good Critiques of Deconstructionism and Post-Modernism

Does anyone know any good critiques of deconstructionism and post-modernism (post-structuralism, etc.), especially within literary theory/criticism, the humanities, and social sciences (I know Sokal and Bricmont's criticism)?

​I'm particularly interest more intellectual critiques, perhaps even those that try to take what is truly interesting or worthwhile from deconstructionism, post-modernism, et al., whilst setting apart what is not.

9/26/2016 12:12 pm  #2

Re: Good Critiques of Deconstructionism and Post-Modernism

Good? You have to take it one guy at a time.

For instance, I think Derrida is passable as a phenomenologist in some of his writing, but he has the old parisian rhetorical problem of having to write decent things in a highly pretentious way.

Foucault does interesting philosophical history; it's just that his conclusions are dubious, though you have to dwell with it.

Deleuze is just doing weirdo metaphysics because the european context hasn't had good systematic metaphysics in wide acceptance for a century. Read it and apply your own metaphysical understanding.

Lyotard seems to be a crazy person who says crazy crank leftist things in philosophical jargon.

etc.

What were you interested in?

Last edited by iwpoe (9/26/2016 12:13 pm)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

9/26/2016 1:24 pm  #3

Hi Jeremy Taylor,

Have you read Mark Dooley's Moral Matters? He does criticize some forms of Post-modernism and deconstructionism.

9/27/2016 4:25 am  #4

Thanks for the recommendation, Mysterious Brony.

​Iwpoe,

I have read a few works of literary criticism lately where the influence of deconstructionism and postmodernism was clear.

9/27/2016 10:45 am  #5

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

​Iwpoe,

I have read a few works of literary criticism lately where the influence of deconstructionism and postmodernism was clear.

That's a different matter. The lit-crit people weren't philosophers and followed philosophic writing to absurd directions. Did you want something focused on literary criticism as such or on the academic reception of the ideas in general?

Last edited by iwpoe (9/27/2016 10:45 am)

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

9/27/2016 8:33 pm  #6

I guess both would be good, but especially literally criticism and in the humanities/social sciences.

I think that, within literary criticism, etc., the post-moderns and deconstructionists makes some valid points. It is correct that literature can represent different voices, and some of these representations reflect different power relations. To use an example from history, it is true, for example, that Greek and Roman accounts of barbarians cannot necessarily be taken at face value - they reflect cultural biases and traditions of interpretation, though I'm not sure it required the post-moderns to tell us this. But I think the post-moderns and deconstructionists make far too much of these insights, turning literature or history or culture into simply a matter of power relations - with no room for other motives beyond social and political power nor room for genuine wisdom or artistic merit - and proliferating disunity and differing voices to the complete exclusion of any unity or universal themes or meaning.

9/27/2016 9:17 pm  #7

It's one thing to say words etc *have* power relations. It's madness to say they *are* power relations.

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

9/29/2016 3:03 pm  #8

Do you have anyone you're reading in particular?

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

9/29/2016 5:23 pm  #9

From the library I managed to pick up John Ellis's Against Deconstruction and David Lehman's Signs of the Times​, but haven't read them yet though.

​I'd be interested to know how more traditional forms of literary criticism - the kind practiced by a Dr. Johnson, Coleridge, or T.S. Eliot - have reacted to and dealt with deconstructionism.

9/29/2016 6:05 pm  #10

I mean, which deconstructiony type people are you dealing with?

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera