Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/02/2017 12:56 pm  #1

Poll: Do you consider yourself a Thomist?

I'm trying to settle an old bet between Daniel and I:

Do you consider yourself a Thomist?

1/03/2017 10:26 am  #2

Re: Poll: Do you consider yourself a Thomist?

I voted no, but I do agree with 90% of the things that both Thomas and Aristotle say.  How can this be?

1/03/2017 12:40 pm  #3

In your case, if I had to guess, probably something like this
I incline towards certain Thomistic theses about being (esse, Sein). I, however, think there are better ways to assay material objects, and account for objects' individuation. And this affects my views enough that I voted for “I'm not even an Aristotelian”.

1/03/2017 8:06 pm  #4

Won over to Thomism first by John Finnis, then by Ed Feser.

K. Roland Heintz, B.A.
Economics, U.C. Santa Cruz 2017
Blog | Website

1/04/2017 9:31 am  #5

I voted "not even Aristotelian" even though I pretty much am, because I happily absorb into a generally Maimonidean framework Platonist and even mystical concepts. 

Noli turbare circulos meos.

1/04/2017 11:47 am  #6

Welcome back. Congratulations on the marriage.

1/08/2017 5:02 pm  #7

I admit: this was closer than I expected. I knew we had more non-Aristotelians than most people (who seem to assume that the forum exists under a sort of Thomist yoke) realized. I, however, thought there would be fewer people who don't even consider themselves Aristotelian.

1/09/2017 5:55 pm  #8

I *might* have taken the Aristotelian option - the main reason I didn't is because my metaphysics are closer to Thomism than pure Aristotelianism even if they are identical with neither. The general consensus is that people who don't fly the Thomist flag are unwilling to identify as Aristotelian due to the Platonic elements in their metaphysics.

1/10/2017 11:31 am  #9

DanielCC wrote:

I *might* have taken the Aristotelian option - the main reason I didn't is because my metaphysics are closer to Thomism than pure Aristotelianism even if they are identical with neither. The general consensus is that people who don't fly the Thomist flag are unwilling to identify as Aristotelian due to the Platonic elements in their metaphysics.

I purposefully phrased the poll in a subjective way to avoid wrangling over “What is a Thomist?”. I wonder, though, how many of (say) the twenty-four theses "no voters" actually reject.

1/10/2017 6:05 pm  #10

I exclude myself from Thomism *first* because I don't admit of special Revelation. I'm also skeptical of his approach to the problem of Being, but not hostile to it.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera