Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/05/2017 4:59 pm  #1

Resources on Political, Economical and Ethical philosophy

I would appreciate if anyone can recommend some introductory books on the subjects above. Basically, as a citizen I would like to have enough knowledge to support the good causes, right policies, vote for the good politicians and so on.

Last edited by nojoum (7/05/2017 4:59 pm)

7/05/2017 8:08 pm  #2

Re: Resources on Political, Economical and Ethical philosophy

Look up Wilhelm Ropke.

7/08/2017 12:54 pm  #3

That's a very broad question, but the classics that come to mind (which are still very relevant) are Plato's Republic and Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics as well as his Politics.  Were you looking for something more specific?  

Socrates seemed to imply at times that all of his philosophical questioning was aimed at being a good citizen.  Even Plato's dense metaphysical dialogues like the Parmenides or the Sophist ostensibly aimed at figuring out things that would help citizens in daily life, like distinguishing between charlatans (sophists) and knowledgeable leaders (philosophers).

7/21/2017 6:15 pm  #4

Thanks for the replies.

@Brian. No I am not looking for something specific. Just want to be a good citizen!

7/22/2017 3:03 pm  #5

I'm an economist. I think the best introduction to the subject for the interested layman is Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics, which is now in it's 5th edition I believe. This is of course assuming you don't want to read through a college level principles textbook. If you're interested in anything beyond a broad introduction I can make other recommendations.

7/22/2017 4:30 pm  #6

UGADawg wrote:

I'm an economist. I think the best introduction to the subject for the interested layman is Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics, which is now in it's 5th edition I believe. This is of course assuming you don't want to read through a college level principles textbook. If you're interested in anything beyond a broad introduction I can make other recommendations.

Thanks a lot. Happy to see an economist here. I just need enough information so that I can understand which economic policy I should support. Or if there is a presidential election, I would know if he is just making baseless claims and so on. Anything that can help me to be a responsible citizen is welcome. I dont mind if it is university or college text book. I will read it.

7/23/2017 10:40 am  #7

Textbooks are fine but you can get bogged down in them and get bored with too much detail.

Sowell's book is probably the best starting point for you. Gwartney's Common Sense Economics is good too if you want something a bit shorter.

Last edited by UGADawg (7/23/2017 10:40 am)

7/23/2017 11:23 pm  #8

But with Sowell, do you get an approach to politics grounded in Christian/Thomistic (or Augustinian, Palamist, what have you) teaching? Or does he ground his economic and political thought first and foremost in broadly liberal principles?

​I'd be very cautious about assimilating liberalism (in the broad sense) and Christian principles. Their relationship needs to be worked out very carefully. Ropke is a good suggestion because he goes a long way to showing what is compatible between Christian principles and classical liberalism.

​ Nojoum,

​In terms of technical economics, it really depends upon which school of thought you think is most accurate (neoclassical, post-keynesian, Austrian, institutional, and so on). In my opinion, there is a hell of a lot of methodological and philosophical confusion in mainstream economics, and often the heterodox alternatives aren't much better. Steve Keen's Debunking Economics is an interesting read on this point.

7/24/2017 12:52 pm  #9

Sowell doesn't get into politics or advocacy in the book in general, rather it's just an exposition (in a positive or descriptive sense rather than a normative sense) of basic applied price theory. That said the information in the book should be seen as a sort of minimum requirement if you want to give an informed opinion on what you think should be going on in the economy w.r.t. policy or whatever.

Last edited by UGADawg (7/24/2017 12:53 pm)

2/07/2018 3:31 pm  #10

UGADawg wrote:

I agree with UGADawg that you should go for an introductory text, thought I'd suggest Faustino Ballve's Essentials of Economics or Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson. They are much shorter, though Sowell will give you a much more comprehensive view of the field.

Authors you should consider reading include Wilhelm Röpke, Jacques Rueff, Heinrich Pesch, and Philip Henry Wicksteed. The first three were committed Catholics, the last an accomplished medieval scholar who wrote some seminal works in 20th century economic theory.

Though I could go on, I'll end this post by mentioning two authors that should interest the Thomists on this forum. 
​Jennifer Roback Morse is an economist who has focused her efforts in recent years on defending the traditional understanding of the family against modern social ills. Her book Love and Economics: It Takes a Family to Raise a Village (Ruth Institute Books, 2008) argues that economic liberalism can only be sustained via the inculcation of virtue through traditional family structures. John D. Mueller is an economist who now defends what he calls "neo-scholastic" economics, which is a modern synthesis of Aristotle, Augustine, and Aquinas. I strongly recommend his book Redeeming Economics: Rediscovering the Missing Element (ISI Books, 2014), as well as his many articles.

K. Roland Heintz, B.A.
Economics, U.C. Santa Cruz 2017
Blog | Website

Board footera