Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/10/2018 12:25 pm  #31

Re: ​Who are your three biggest philosophical influences?

It's hard for me to answer this question as my philosophical interests boil down to two distinct areas: political philosophy and theology.

In political philosophy I need to say that my number 1 pick would be Leo Strauss - I definitely don't agree with everything he writes but he gets me to think very hard. Next I'd probably say Montesquieu, and finally I'd say the whole kit and kaboodle of 17th century natural lawyers (ie Grotius, Pufendorf, and Selden). Giuseppe Mazinni also gets an honorary mention - to the extent that what he says can be classified as philosophical.

Theologically, Maimonides is the beating heart of my religious thought. However, I do incline somewhat towards a philosophical mysticism, and as such I am very into Moses Hayim Luzzatto's many writings. I find Proclus to be very enlightening as well, and Pico della Mirandola is one of my favorite Christian authors.

I should also add that with regards to political virtue, Plutarch's Lives was the probably the single greatest influence on me throughout my teenage years.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

7/14/2018 4:08 pm  #32

John West wrote:

Calhoun wrote:

These days I am trying to read and understand some Phil. of Science literature , focus on Ontic Structural realism.

Is this Ladyman's view? There are some interesting papers on it in The Metaphysics of Relations (eds. Marmodoro and Yates).

Here is a video lecture of Briceno and Mumford's "Relations All The Way Down? Against Structural Realism", from the aforementioned volume, I stumbled over earlier. I haven't listened to it, but I remember liking the paper.

7/14/2018 5:24 pm  #33

I actually remember seeing some of that vid some time ago, that whole channel has very nice resources on variety of metaphysical topics. Thanks for sharing it , I had almost forgotten about it. And I also remember that this Briceno has written thesis on defending Humean metaphysics from variety of opponents like Aristotelians, OSR-ists etc.. 

7/14/2018 5:59 pm  #34

I see. Do you think ontic structural realism is a tenable position though, that we (and the rest of the world) are composed of relations and nothing but relations? Or is it more of an "academic curiosity" for you?

7/14/2018 10:27 pm  #35

John West wrote:

I see. Do you think ontic structural realism is a tenable position though, that we (and the rest of the world) are composed of relations and nothing but relations? Or is it more of an "academic curiosity" for you?

For now I think I should say the latter. Can't really say much about the former, it doesn't seem intuitively plausible to me(which is the first thing some of its defenders deny relevance of) but there is lot written in its defense.   
Much of it has to deal with some serious hard sciences which I lack that much knowledge of .

Last edited by Calhoun (7/14/2018 10:29 pm)

7/17/2018 5:03 pm  #36

The results of these threads are always so unexpected: I expected more Thomists.

7/17/2018 5:56 pm  #37

I think a lot of our Thomist members took it for granted that we already roughly know their influences. But also, the forum can be a tough place, and occasionally new Thomist members disappear the moment they face the least bit of pushback.

(I sometimes give Thomists here a hard time. The reasons for that are (i) I don't want the forum to become a sort of dogmatic swamp where people just hang around inflating their egos going after easy targets, (ii) I think the Thomists here can handle it, and (iii) people ask me questions and I feel obliged to tell them what I really think (What would you have me do? Lie?). But I wouldn't do all that unless I thought they (and Thomism) were worth the time.)

7/18/2018 7:14 pm  #38

John West wrote:

I'm actually finding OSR increasingly fascinating. Not necessarily the physicalist version, since any type of naturalism just turns me into a wild deconstructionist, but if you take it in the direction of a sort of Pythagorean idealism instead, I get very intrigued. (I've been reading through the Amazon preview of Jane McDonnell's The Pythagorean World, which seems to be somewhat in the same vein, though with a bit of Leibniz thrown in for good measure.) I've been moving more in a Plotinian direction lately, so anything that stresses the ontic priority of structure and form catches my attention.

7/18/2018 11:51 pm  #39

Hypatia wrote:

John West wrote:

a wild deconstructionist

Come on now bruh

7/19/2018 3:17 pm  #40

One thing this thread has shown is that a lot of us are influenced by Platonism (and I don't just mean in the broad sense in which even Aristotle is a Platonist). Jeremy, who didn't reply, holds a lot of Plato's positive doctrines; and I'm influenced by Plato and Socrates in my heavy use of the aporetic method (which sort of dominates my comments here the last few months). A lot of others included Plato or obvious Platonist influences in their replies.

Board footera