Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2018 11:58 pm  #11

Re: What will be cast into the metaphysical waste bin in the near future?

Calhoun wrote:

I don't know if PSR is getting more and more or less or less popular , there doesn't seem to be any data on this but I have seen it getting defense from secular philosophers and in non theistic context in recent times.

"What are your sources John?" 
I'm basing my comment on what's in major philosophers from Leibniz onwards' works. (I think that more recently, in ontology at least, the vast majority of philosophers take it for granted that the PSR can be shucked aside. I'm guessing that the situation in philosophy of science, ethics, and so on, is worse. I'm not sure about philosophy of religion, where atheist philosophers are probably more likely to have the principle forced on them by theists running cosmological arguments.)

10/07/2018 12:21 am  #12

Don't know what we can deduce from all those fields. Maybe ~PSR is majority view but can't really tell about the trend. could be that after Leibniz's time, once PSR was getting less and less popular and now its the opposite. 

Plus it seems lots of hypothesis in these fields are questioned because of concern which relate to psr.

10/07/2018 12:28 am  #13

Calhoun wrote:

Don't know what we can deduce from all those fields. Maybe ~PSR is majority view but can't really tell about the trend. could be that after Leibniz's time, once PSR was getting less and less popular and now its the opposite.

This is just a guess, to be taken with a heavy pinch of salt, but I think there has probably been a bump, a small increase, in the number of people who believe the PSR thanks to the increased popularity of natural theology in the last few decades. (I still suspect that the overall trend is downward or, if not, only not downward because they've pretty much bottomed out.)

Plus it seems lots of hypothesis in these fields are questioned because of concern which relate to psr.

Yeah. I should be clear that I'm not saying that people in these fields are rejecting the PSR for good reasons or without self-inconsistencies. Whether or not there are good reasons for rejecting (or at least questioning) the PSR, I think most of them have bad reasons. (I sort of want to write some really grouchy comments about dogmatic naturalism in ontology, but I'll stop here.)

10/07/2018 1:50 am  #14

Anyway I think panpsychism  is actually being taken more seriously right now , apparently some philosophers think its rather naturalistic. Its biggest problem is the combination problem but I have seen some defenses against that. Haven't paid enough attention to know if they are good though. 

Board footera