Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2018 6:03 am  #21

Re: On philosophical objections to the Chalcedonian Incarnation doctrine

Jason wrote:

Is there any Thomistic book that explores these topics?

I would read Gorman's book first, then White's.

Thomas Joseph White OP, The Incarnate Lord: A Thomistic Study in Christology, Catholic University of America Press, May 11, 2017.
Book pages: CUA Press, Amazon, Google limited preview.
Fr. White is the Director of the Thomistic Institute at the Angelicum, Rome.
Author's interview about the book.
Reviews: wholly accessible by Imbelli, Pawl; partially accessible by Mansini, Loewe, Barnes.

Michael Gorman, Aquinas on the Metaphysics of the Hypostatic Union, Cambridge University Press, June 22, 2017.
Book pages: CUP, Amazon.
Author's personal website.

There is also Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange's commentary on the Third Part of St. Thomas' Summa. To note, of the positions he discusses in "Criterion To Be Followed In The Examination Of These Opinions", I adopt Billot's, which he criticizes at quite great length.

Last edited by Johannes (9/24/2018 7:31 am)

11/01/2018 2:47 pm  #22

I, unfortunately, put off so many things while I was busy that I'm now busy catching up on all the things I put off. I see, however, that Vallicella has started posting about White's The Incarnate Lord, and that his combox is open. I urge everyone to read his posts and engage with him if they have questions or objections. 

I'll probably be busy again by the time I'm done being busy. But I haven't forgotten about you.

11/02/2018 1:16 pm  #23

Thanks for the heads-up.  I've just posted a comment under this article, linking this thread as my "website".

Last edited by Johannes (11/02/2018 1:31 pm)

11/10/2018 8:37 pm  #24

I think I'm going to aim to write a blog article on the Incarnation for the Christmas holidays. If I do, I'll link it here. If I don't, I'll try to at least post something in this thread (or an equivalent one on the new forum).

It's unfortunate, but philosophy is such a big subject that even though I get to spend most of my days doing philosophy I end up having to force myself to look away from a lot of philosophy I find interesting.

Board footera