Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2019 6:46 am  #51

Re: Should we update to new forum software?

I've been thinking, for a long time, of opening a dedicated formal debate subforum with rules modeled on the scholastic method of disputation. They don't leave much room for shenanigans. It might be good for those looking for a super formal mode of debate. Perhaps I'll reopen the issue in the new forum's administration forum. 

(One caveat: I'm not, personally, going to have much time to keep after it for the next year, so it will partly depend on whether other moderators are willing to get behind it.)

1/08/2019 4:29 pm  #52

I really hope that people didn't vote overwhelmingly for the new forum (or, at least, let others do so), wait until Brian dropped $400, and then decide they don't want it.

Here is another another link. The login or sign up button is on the upper right hand corner of the screen.

1/08/2019 7:14 pm  #53

I've opened a thread about the scholastic disputations subforum here, and a running list of updates here.

1/09/2019 3:13 pm  #54

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I believe only two members have been banned from the forum (apart from spammers and bots), and they both deserved it.

Is AKG one of them? I'm curious, because from what I've read of his posts, he didn't seem odious or "out-law-of-the-web". Did something serious happened?

Btw, I hope that this forum won't be deleted. Some posts were very informative, and it would be sad to lost them. Couldn't all the posts be transfer one to the other?

1/09/2019 3:30 pm  #55

Yes. He asked to be banned, so eventually I banned him for six months. After six months he came back, and he was even more unhinged and, what is more important, he'd developed a taste for stalking members through PMs, email, and at Feser's, so I rebanned him permanently.

1/09/2019 3:36 pm  #56

He asked to be banned? Like, litterally? What even was the point?

1/10/2019 8:54 am  #57

Who was the other? Not the literal Nazi who showed up?

Noli turbare circulos meos.

1/10/2019 1:42 pm  #58

@Etzelnik
Stardusty. Wait a Nazi showed up? When?

@Jeremy Taylor
AKG asked to be banned and then you rebanned him? Weird. Also, does he stalk you?

1/10/2019 8:05 pm  #59

Clinias.
As I recall he was fine with Nazis killing Jews and was heavy on the Masonic conspiracy theories and the like.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

1/10/2019 9:30 pm  #60

Brony,

Yes, he was/is literally obsessed by that thread he started and the arguments that arose from it. He asked to be banned for six months. I was reluctant at first, but then did agreed. Then he came back still raging when the ban ran out. Stalking might be excessive, but he certainly tried to continue that argument by whatever means he could - PM, emails (he was able to use the email list on the reading group we set up to get hold of certain members' email addresses) and Feser's - right down to the rather silly insults he uses. He did get my email and PM'd me, but I just blocked him, so he was stuck using Feser's blog, though Feser seems to have got sick of such silliness and deleted his ravings the last time he popped up (which was only a month or two ago, a year after the original thread that sparked it all off). I don't much like banning and other sanctions. I've preferred just to lock threads and delete posts and hope that sufficed. But I thought AKG did cross a line. Plus, given that he has shown clear issues, by raging about arguments in one thread for months, across the internet, it is probably better for him he was rebanned.

On Clinias,

I don't think he was banned. He just went off in a huff after he had his pro-slavery thread locked and was told to not keep posting to threads where he was the only active participant. It's one thing to post a couple of times without anyone else responding, but posting half a dozen times or more over an extended period, when no one else is contributing, is a bit silly, especially if much of what you post is conspiracy laden, anti-Semitic rants.

Board footera