Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/24/2015 5:36 pm  #1

On whether a disembodied human soul is a person

Though the subject of this post is related to the "Real distinction between esse and esse and the Incarnation", I thought that this post fits better under "Philosophy", since the belief in a spiritual soul which subsists after death is, to an extent, religion-independent, while the other fits better under "Religion", since the belief in the Incarnation is specifically Christian. (But of course, this opinion is subject to the moderators' pronouncement, which are de fide for all forum participants!) Since the post is based on the definition of person, I will copy below the first part of that post.

Definition of person

Adopting the definition of person by Boethius: "an individual substance of a rational nature", St. Thomas Aquinas refines it by stating that:

"the individual substance, which is included in the definition of a person, implies a complete substance subsisting of itself and separate from all else (substantia completa per se subsistens separata ab aliia);" (ST, Part III, Question 16, Art. 12, Reply to obj. 2).

The "per se subsistent" qualification plays a key part in the case of the Incarnation, while the "complete" qualification does so in the case of disembodied human souls.

The case of disembodied human souls

After the statement that we quoted above, St. Thomas justifies the "complete" qualification in his further refinement of "individual substance" by observing that "otherwise, a man's hand might be called a person, since it is an individual substance; nevertheless, because it is an individual substance existing in something else, it cannot be called a person;" (ST, Part III, Question 16, Art. 12, Reply to obj. 2).

A problem arises when this observation, which is clearly correct in the case of a hand, is applied to the human soul, as St. Thomas does in (ST, Part I, Question 75, Art. 4, Reply to obj. 2): "Not every particular substance is a hypostasis or a person, but that which has the complete nature of its species. Hence a hand, or a foot, is not called a hypostasis, or a person; nor, likewise, is the soul alone so called, since it is a part of the human species."

To note, the latter passage is from an article that deals with the issue of whether the soul of a living man is that man.  In this case we certainly share St. Thomas position, as a living man is not a soul only, but something composed of soul and body.  The problem comes when considering the condition of man after death and before the resurrection.

To state the problem in hylemorphic terms, even though it is clearly true, as St. Thomas states in the Answer of the last quoted article, that "in natural things the definition does not signify the form only, but the form and the matter", this notion does not cover the case of a substantial form subsisting of itself separate from the matter it used to inform, as is the case of the human soul after death.  This case is essentially different from that of a hand, or even from that of the whole human body, considered separate from the soul.  This is because a body after death, i.e. after its separation from the soul, is no longer a human body.  This is actually de fide Catholic doctrine, defined in the Ecumenical Council of Vienne (1311-1312): "the substance of the rational or intellectual soul is ... of itself and essentially the form of the human body."

Thus, as St. Thomas says in (ST, Part I, Question 76, Art. 8, Answer): "since the soul is united to the body as its form, it must necessarily be in the whole body, and in each part thereof. For it is not an accidental form, but the substantial form of the body. Now the substantial form perfects not only the whole, but each part of the whole. For since a whole consists of parts, a form of the whole which does not give existence to each of the parts of the body, is a form consisting in composition and order, such as the form of a house; and such a form is accidental. But the soul is a substantial form; and therefore it must be the form and the act, not only of the whole, but also of each part. Therefore, on the withdrawal of the soul, as we do not speak of an animal or a man unless equivocally, as we speak of a painted animal or a stone animal; so is it with the hand, the eye, the flesh and bones, as the Philosopher says (De Anima ii, 1). A proof of which is, that on the withdrawal of the soul, no part of the body retains its proper action; although that which retains its species, retains the action of the species."  Therefore, just as a corpse is no longer a human body because it is no longer united to the soul, for the same reason a severed hand is no longer a human hand. 

In contrast, the separate soul after death is still a human soul, as it retains the powers that have it as their subject, i.e. intelligence and will, as St. Thomas says in (ST, Part I, Question 77, Art. 8, Answer): "some powers belong to the soul alone as their subject; as the intelligence and the will. These powers must remain in the soul, after the destruction of the body." And as intelligence and will are the noblest powers of the human person, it is clearly true that, even within the Thomistic framework, the human soul after death is the same human person it was with the body, even though in a diminished state.

Thus, St. Thomas' refinement of the concept of "individual substance" in the Boethian definition of person quoted at the beginning of this article needs to be completed as:

"the individual substance, which is included in the definition of a person, implies a complete substance subsisting of itself and separate from all else, or the substantial form of such a substance, when it is separated from the body to which it was originally united."

As in the case of the real distinction, the strongest argument for affirming that the human soul, when separated from the body after death, IS the same person it was with the living body, comes from words of Jesus. In this case, his words on the Cross to the crucified Good Thief:

"Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." (Lk 23: 43)

Will a bold Thomist suggest that if Jesus had spoken strictly, He would have said "today your soul will be with me in Paradise" rather than "today you will be with me in Paradise"?

And just in case someone argues that speaking of "your soul" would have sounded extremely contrived in the concrete cultural environment of Palestine 30 AD, I call their attention to what Jesus had said to Peter, James and John just a few hours before in Gethsemane:

"My soul is deeply grieved to the point of death." (Mk 14: 34)

So, if Jesus had wanted to say "your soul will be with me in Paradise", He could have perfectly done it. But He did not. He said "YOU will be with me in Paradise".

As if this argument were not strong enough by itself, which in my view it clearly is, I submit another which is relevant for Roman Catholics only: the "Letter on certain questions regarding Eschatology" issued by the CDF on May 17, 1979.  Quoting from it:

"The Church affirms that a spiritual element survives and subsists after death, an element endowed with consciousness and will, so that the "human self" subsists. To designate this element, the Church uses the word "soul", the accepted term in the usage of Scripture and Tradition."

Just in case someone objects that "self" does not mean "person", I will quote a key expression in other languages, noting that there was no Latin version of that Letter:

- so that the "human self" subsists.

- in modo tale che l'« io » umano sussista.

- de manera que subsiste el mismo « yo » humano.

- en sorte que le « moi » humain subsiste.

Clearly, the literal translation of the original expression in English should have been:

- so that the human « I » subsists.

Therefore, if the same « I » (or « me » in colloquial English) subsists after death, how can someone say that a disembodied soul is not a person?

Last edited by Johannes (7/24/2015 5:39 pm)

7/24/2015 6:30 pm  #2

Re: On whether a disembodied human soul is a person

- I hope to be able to comment more fully on this topic when I’m at my home PC. For now a brief argument against the view that the disembodied soul is not the person:

No object can have intermittent i.e. interrupted existence (a lot of the common objects e.g. tents, ships et cetera that might tempt us to believe otherwise aren’t true substances in the first place). But if the Person refers to the union of body and soul this wouldn’t be the case, ergo that position must be false. Even the implausible position that both body and soul subsist separated cannot save us since on the Aristotelean account a body without a soul ceases to be a body full stop.

7/24/2015 6:51 pm  #3

I'm interested in the separate but related question of whether or not a disembodied soul undergoes change or exists in time. If they are akin to platonic forms, then no they should neither come into being nor go out of being nor strictly speaking should they be in time.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

7/25/2015 5:22 am  #4

iwpoe wrote:

I'm interested in the separate but related question of whether or not a disembodied soul undergoes change or exists in time. If they are akin to platonic forms, then no they should neither come into being nor go out of being nor strictly speaking should they be in time.

The Classical view since Anselm has beenn that there are degrees of atemporality. Aside from the pure atemporality, the Bothean atemporality we apply to God under the name of eternity, there is also ‘aeviternity’, which describes the nature of a created spirit’s relation to time. Joyce has a good paragraph on it in the Divine Eternity section of his Natural Theology.

Board footera