Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/02/2015 1:46 am  #1

Reading the Summa Theologica/Aquinas

Hey everyone.  I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on reading the Summa and Aquinas' writings in general.  I think I have a good grasp of Thomistic thought after having read Feser's books Aquinas and The Last Superstition.  Now I'm thinking of ways I can approach reading Thomas' writings, specifically the Summa.  Are there any good commentaries for the Summa?

Last edited by natmain (9/02/2015 1:51 am)

9/03/2015 3:41 pm  #2

Re: Reading the Summa Theologica/Aquinas

I recently bought Paul Glenn's A Tour of the Summa, which seems to be a compendium of Aquinas' "I reply that . . ." sections. From what I've read so far, it's a very good synopsis of the Summa Theologicae.

K. Roland Heintz, B.A.
Economics, U.C. Santa Cruz 2017
Blog | Website

9/03/2015 8:49 pm  #3

Re: Reading the Summa Theologica/Aquinas

Aquinas himself is pretty readable. Having read a few intros, like Feser's, to Aristotelian-Thomistic philosophy is necessary, but from there, you can read the Summa directly, starting wherever you like.

I do wish I had done that. I have read a lot of commentary on Aquinas and comparatively little Aquinas. I'm finally venturing deeper because it's hard to justify taking exegetical positions when you haven't read the original!

Board footera