Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/03/2015 11:19 am  #1

Popularity of modern philosophy

Dr. Feser frequently states that there are many problems with modern philosophy such as the indefensable nature of naturalism and the mind-body problem that either leads to panpsychism or elimanitvism. Despite these problems why is the modern "naturalist" view of philosophy so popular nowadays, and older philosophies such as scholasticism are looked down upon when it was never really refuted, and most objections to it are straw mans, and trying to put it into modern terms which leads to a poor understanding of it. Furthermore why is it that these straw mans/poor understandings are taught in philosophy classes rather than the true ones as it seems to me that sophistry is what is taught rather than philosophy.

9/03/2015 4:59 pm  #2

Re: Popularity of modern philosophy

I would say because of the poor understanding of the history of philosophy. My undergraduate professor always found a way to discuss the history of philosophy in his courses, and could tell you the arguments given by the philosophers from the pre-Socratics to Kant. Compare that with my friend's professor, who ended his lessons on Aquinas' or Descartes' argument for the existence of God with, "So, how many of you are considering going to church this weekend/converting to Christianity/(any other assertion that blurs the distinction between our natural and supernatural ends)"? It's also harder, based on the first principles of practical reason, to caricature views you oppose when you know them accurately.

As to why immanentist philosophies are so popular, it's most likely due to the common view that science did not arise until the Enlightenment, when their seeds were planted.

K. Roland Heintz, B.A.
Economics, U.C. Santa Cruz 2017
Blog | Website

9/03/2015 8:58 pm  #3

Well, most people haven't done that analyses Dr. Feser has.

But naturalist philosophy is typically (and certainly in the popular conception) paired with a picture of scientific progress. It's believed that any problems you might raise against it are only apparent, temporary problems. If you believe that, then you won't be inclined to take claims that it's flawed seriously, and you certainly won't look into it yourself. I used to feel confident that impressive as the mind might be, there had to be some fully physical explanation for it. Worrying about whether that is possible in principle did not occur to me.

9/13/2015 12:50 pm  #4

Well I just looked into my Theory of Knowledge textbook and they presented the cosmological argument as everything has a cause, and stated who made God is a serious objection to the argument. According to the book the author has a PHD in philosophy, so I think you guys are right when you say modern philosophy is popular due to exposure of poor caricatures of philosophical theism.

Board footera