Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/10/2015 6:10 am  #1

The rule concerning Dr. Feser's blog

"In the interests of politeness and not taking away legitimate discussion from Dr. Feser's blog, you may only start threads on articles three months old or more. Any threads on newer articles will be closed."

To me it seems that this rule is too cruel both against this forum and against Dr. Feser's blog. Consider the following points.

- Dr. Feser posts very often. Three months old is almost too old to be remembered, and it certainly has been beaten to death in the blog comments by this time. One month should be more than enough.
- Bickering easily occurs and escalates in combox debates. All this - argumented debates and silly bickering alike - are more appropriate in forum posts than in blog comments. Most of it would be better here than there.
- This forum is not very lively. It has a limited number of active participants due to its specific topic. It would do good to have more participants, so that stuff would show up under most recent posts, instead of emptiness.

I don't think Dr. Feser's blog would lose anything by shortening the term in the quoted rule to one month. This forum would certainly gain relevant activity. And one month would be easier to keep count.

12/10/2015 6:30 pm  #2

Re: The rule concerning Dr. Feser's blog

It's updated.

12/10/2015 7:18 pm  #3

The three month time-frame was simply a way of making sure discussion here wasn't connected to active combox discussion at Dr. Feser's blog. I don't think it is really for us to say that heated discussions on Dr. Feser's posts are better here than in his combox. He has supported this forum and I think we do need to make sure we don't try and divert active discussion from his blog to here. If you wish to talk about Dr. Feser's latest blog post or a very recent one, and make on topic comments, the obvious place to do it is his blog. The discussion here really should focus on older blog posts or tangential discussions.

12/10/2015 7:23 pm  #4

I think it's true that comments about recent blog posts should be on the blog, but one month might serve that end just as well as three. It's pretty rare that people post on blog posts that are a month old. Not to mention, if there is still a discussion over there after a month, it will probably continue there. Maybe a parallel one could arise here, but I doubt it would take traffic or discussion away from his blog.

The last post on Feser's October 29 post, which received 206 comments, was on November 23.

12/10/2015 9:41 pm  #5

I agree. One month would be fine.

Board footera