Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2015 12:07 pm  #1

Harris, Coyne and William Lane Craig

I just wanted to put this out because the kind of things at times that Coyne believes really kinda....frightens me and makes me scratch my head. Coyne talks about his girlfriend, and oh boy, that makes me really wonder how he keeps these kinds of beliefs.

Sam Harris and Jerry Coyne: Science vs. Religion Part 5

12/21/2015 1:16 pm  #2

Re: Harris, Coyne and William Lane Craig

What's he say about her. I can't listen to audio atm.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

12/21/2015 9:11 pm  #3

The podcast features Coyne talking about the incoherence compatibilism, and how he thinks all of it is a semantic game. But he still feels that society should be punishing people per se for what they have done. Given that, I didn't think he'd say that. There's a lot in the podcast, I suggest you listen to it in due time. 

Coyne: ". . .Yeah, and there's one other thing, which just struck me the other day when I was thinking about an old girlfriend I had and feeling regrets. And all of a sudden, like, intellect kicked in and I said, 'Well you know? What happened, happened. There was no choice about the matter. Why should I feel any regret? Why should I wish that things had turned out differently, they could not have not turned out differently.' "

Craig milks this to make a bit of polemic fairly enough.

12/22/2015 10:52 am  #4

If you're a strict determinist in what sense can you speak of reform in any case? We commit crimes because we do and punish because we do; ethics is eviscerated because there is no possibility of directing the will, nevermind doing so reasonably.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

12/22/2015 11:27 am  #5

One of the reasons I listened to the series is because I could have a giggle or two. Coyne doesn't seem to be interested in checking out what the 'consequences' he has, and it's actually funny and very upsetting to see that he has no idea of it whatsoever. That's why I quoted him on that, it simply doesn't make sense to me as to how he coherently accepts his own position. But, I suppose this was to be expected.

On another note, The Non-Reality of Free Will by Richard Double is on my reading list(way way down the reading list), I think this book is worth it(by the reviews) for a staunch challenge against Libertarian and Compatibilist free will. But, I won't know of that till I actually read more on this subject(this book included). If anyone has read this book, please do tell as to how well this does in it's project against free will!

Board footera