Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2015 2:37 pm  #1

Hey there!

I made an account a number of months ago and then forgot about it, so I though I'd do a bit of introduction.
I'm currently a (Catholic) seminarian studying Philosophy and Catholic Studies. I have some pretty inchoate sympathies towards Thomism and Analytic philosophy as broadly construed, though I desire to more broadly survey the Scholastics as well as some Eastern Christian thinkers like Maximos the Confessor and Gregory Palamas. At this point, I will probably have more questions than answers to contribute, though I look forward to the discussions I am sure will come up.

Pax.

12/07/2015 9:46 am  #2

Re: Hey there!

Well, hello there, and welcome.

12/08/2015 12:41 am  #3

Welcome 

12/10/2015 3:35 am  #4

Hi!

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

12/19/2015 6:44 pm  #5

I'm an aging (79)) Catholic who discovered Buddhism 30 years ago, stayed with it,and studied and practiced in the USA and Asia, finally settling into the Zen form. But around this time of every year, I'm reminded of the power of symbolism, which isn't so important in the Dharma but is still a part of me. I mean especially the Nativity and a special emphasis on the role of the mother of Christ. This is still important. 

Anyone at this forum with a background in Zen or Theravada or Tibetan Buaddhism? 
Or any recurring discussion of symbols and their role?  

---- Frank G.

1/09/2016 3:55 am  #6

frank36 wrote:

Anyone at this forum with a background in Zen or Theravada or Tibetan Buaddhism?

I'm sorry I just now noticed this post, but, actually, yeah, I do- more in Zen than in Theravada, but I've got the resources, background, and the inclination to pick up more.

What did you want to talk about in this respect?

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera