Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2016 9:24 am  #1

Depression

Is depression a worthwhile topic of Philosophic discussion?

I suppose the core topics would be "meaning in one's life", suicide, moods, and more abstruse topics like what our responsibility to ourselves is in dealing with depression and whether mental illness is a well-delimited concept.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

2/25/2016 11:48 am  #2

Re: Depression

In short, Integral, and yes. Strenuous stuff, but yes.

2/26/2016 9:30 pm  #3

Dennis wrote:

In short, Integral, and yes. Strenuous stuff, but yes.

I agree absolutely. A good philosopher, I think, should always at least in effect be helpful at removing causes for depression. Depression is typically associated with the down-trodden and those, in my mind, most likely to be the primary cultural bearers of common sense; in short, the only people peculiarly and naturally inclined to likely see philosophy as a worthy thing in itself and a source or cause of goodness (it after all will justify much of his common sense beliefs and defend them from sophistic and skeptical attacks). Now that might seem counterfactual at first, as a consequence of  the common man on the street's associating philosophy with what is actually not-philosophy (e.g. various forms of what is ultimately really skepticism). But this condemnation is based on his common sense and is correct insofar as it goes.

Now it may seem strange that I am associating depression with the common lot of mankind and now to philosophy. For good philosophy is not itself common (wisdom is by nature rare). But depression itself is a kind of deprivation that is almost always reducible to a bad underlying philosophy or philosophical outlook in man. It is further a deprivation insofar as either deliberately by the powers that be or out of actual ignorance man lacks philosophical enlightenment. Depression in a way can be seen as a kind of perplexity; and to that extent it can now be seen as being in some wise associated with philosophy. Of course, it is ultimately spiritual; but not spiritual in any sense divorced from wisdom. It is as philosophically enlightened that the poet can rightly declare, e.g., that "expectation is the root of all heartache" (Shakespeare). Now if this man is ultimately depressed because he was expecting certain things from certain other things, but this proved vain or false, then wisdom can in principle correct this by either removing the expectation or providing what is more reasonably apt to provide for that expectation. Of course, beyond doubt if depression sinks into out-and-out despair, then certainly we are in the realm of what is more specifically spiritual.

Last edited by Timocrates (2/26/2016 9:31 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

3/03/2016 6:07 pm  #4

In 1991, a psychiatrist saved my life because I felt suicidal.  The emotional pain is hard to describe.  But  it's even harder for others to understand it when they believe clinically depressed people can always cheer up at will. For me, that illnesses became a blessing, though, because it replaced my callousness with compassion and empathy.  In high school, when I still listened to contemporary Christian music, Barry MacGuire sang, "I walked a mile with pleasure.  She chattered all the way, leaving me non the wiser for all she had to say.  I walked a mile with sorrow.  Never a word said she, but oh, the things I learned from her when sorrow walked with me."  Compared with the earthly trials others endure, mine are trivial partly because of an essential lesson I've learned from writings by some canonized saints.  Suffering is hardly the worst evil in the world.  Sometimes, while I cope patiently with it, it gets nearly easy to bear.  On the other hand, if I fight it or feel angry with God for it,  it increases.  That's why I remember a line from a song by Jamie Owens-Collins, another Christian who sang when I was young: "The bitter tears you've tasted will be diamonds in your crown."

Before I felt suicidal, I attended a holy Catholic Mass for people with AIDS when I thought most people suffering from it deserved to die of it because they caught the virus during immoral sex, especially during homosexual sodomy.  After Mass, when I met a Franciscan brother with advanced AIDS, I could think only about the agony he must have felt because of it.  So to try to feel compassion, I listen to this song by Sir Elton John.

Since I'm an opera buff, Sir Elton is the only pop singer I listen to partly because to me, the words mean much more than the music does.  In fact, if you get to know me well, you'll see how much I hate superficiality.  And there's nothing superficial about The Last Song.

3/04/2016 6:35 am  #5

Thank you for sharing that, I can relate. I've grew up on Christian music because of it thanks to that, so I'm not complaining and I'm happy just to love philosophy and know that God loves you and me. 

I shall post three songs in no specific order in order to thank all three of you, Timocrates, iwpoe and BillMcEnaney to have the courage to post here,

Ancient Skies, by The Gungor Band

Bohemian Rhapsody, by Queen

Give Thanks (Psalm 105: 1-3), by Seeds of Worship

I have a ton of Christian music, in all those years of my wrestling with depression, and even now at times, I do nothing but listen to these songs of hope to strengthen my faith in God. Pleasing, t'would be if I had a true confidant, but no fret, I can confide in God! 

(I'll post more songs for up-liftment later! Be warned. )

Last edited by Dennis (3/04/2016 6:35 am)

3/04/2016 6:12 pm  #6

Dennis wrote:

Thank you for sharing that, I can relate. I've grew up on Christian music because of it thanks to that, so I'm not complaining and I'm happy just to love philosophy and know that God loves you and me. 

You're welcome, Dennis.  Thank you for the music.

Board footera