Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/18/2016 2:11 pm  #1

There Are (Probably) No Relations

In light of recent discussion about God and real relations (here), I thought some of you might be interested in E. J. Lowe's There Are (Probably) No Relations:

In particular, if there are no real relations, God has no real relations to creation either (even on contemporary views of relations). But maybe Lowe's thesis goes too far. Maybe there are still theological reasons to want creatures to be related to God, even if not the other way around.

9/18/2016 3:31 pm  #2

Re: There Are (Probably) No Relations

Question, I know Lowe was a theist, but was he Christian or non-religious theist?

9/18/2016 4:23 pm  #3

Deleted my previous comment.

How would Christian classical theists account for the reflexive relations between the three persons of the Trinity if there aren't real relations?

9/18/2016 8:07 pm  #4

AKG:

Not sure. He didn't write much about religion.

(Just to be clear: when I wrote “Lowe's thesis” I didn't mean to imply that Lowe formulated his thesis in reply to the accidental property objection. As far as I know, he never wrote about it one way or the other.)

9/18/2016 8:07 pm  #5

Heid:

Good point! For what it's worth, Lowe is almost certainly talking about relations in the contemporary sense, not the medieval one.

9/19/2016 3:06 am  #6

I'm a revelation-free theist. I'm not sure what if any worries I'd have.

Is it necessary that there be a "real relation" between universal and particular for the universal/particular distinction to  make sense?

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

9/19/2016 1:00 pm  #7

iwpoe wrote:

Is it necessary that there be a "real relation" between universal and particular for the universal/particular distinction to make sense?

Nope.

9/19/2016 5:24 pm  #8

John West wrote:

Maybe there are still theological reasons to want creatures to be related to God, even if not the other way around.

I think that's a valid point because having no real relations whatsoever between God and creatures would hamper the intimacy between Creator and creature in the Catholic sense for example. Though, I am not sure it's much of an issue for an Avicennan Muslim or an adherent of Maimonides.

Board footera