Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2017 2:06 pm  #1

Corpora Worth Studying?

In the past, certain cultures set aside collections of texts they deemed significant. Examples of such collections are religious corpora, such as the Bible and Vedas; corpora of philosophers, such as those of Plato and Aristotle; and corpora of great authors, such as those of Homer and Shakespeare. 

What corpora do you think are worth studying? I am particularly interested in lesser-known corpora, like the Avesta or the Chinese classics.

1/05/2017 8:44 pm  #2

Re: Corpora Worth Studying?

Interesting questions. What are you most interesting in getting from this study? That is, are you most interested in theology/religious thought, discursive philosophy, or wisdom teaching/gnosis?

I would personally say that most pre-modern religious, philosophical, and literary/mythological corpora are worth reading and studying (except perhaps the Epicureans, Academics, and Charvaka) and certainly the Avesta and the Chinese classics are. You won't find much discursive philosophy in either, but you will find interesting and, often, profound moral and spiritual teaching and symbolism.

1/06/2017 4:35 am  #3

Thank you for your reply Jeremy. I am most interested in wisdom teaching/gnosis.

1/08/2017 3:38 pm  #4

You can certainly find it in both those corpora.

Board footera