Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2017 3:13 pm  #1

Goal of studying theoretical philosophy

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to ask you the reason that you would like to study theoretical philosophy.
These are some of the motivations that I can think of, but I also want to hear your thoughts on this matter.

1. I study theoretical philosophy as a hobby because I enjoy exercising and improving my power of reasoning.
2. I study theoretical philosophy to have a better understanding of the natural world.
3. I study theoretical philosophy to improve my ability to assess the soundness of arguments. For example when watching political, economical debates, when having general arguments with other people or when making decisions regarding my personal life and so on.
4. I study theoretical philosophy so I can justify my belief in God and maybe ultimately convince others that God exist. The reason to have such a goal is that a lack of belief in God's existence and ultimately a certain religion is a major cause of today's world's problems (war, famine, poverty and so on). Furthermore, assuming God exist, a lack of belief in God will result in going to hell.

Thank you for your responses.

Last edited by nojoum (3/24/2017 3:27 pm)

3/24/2017 8:45 pm  #2

Re: Goal of studying theoretical philosophy

Well, I have been more interested in practical philosophy recently. So part of my interest in theoretical philosophy is that it sometimes bears on practical philosophy.

Strictly speaking, according to the way I understand the division between theoretical and practical philosophy, this would make my study of theoretical philosophy in fact a study of practical philosophy. I follow Aristotle, that is, in holding that the theoretical and practical intellects are the same power; the one is intellect directed to contemplation, the other is the intellect directed to action. Practical knowledge is knowledge about singulars in action. But other truths are practical in a certain respect if they are or can be used in practice.

So throughout the Ethics, Aristotle will mention 'theoretical' points about how the virtues are defined, etc., and note that these too are included in ethics and politics. But he is also constantly saying that we need not inquire into certain matters further, as far as action is concerned.

Realistically, though, prior to engaging in theoretical inquiry, we do not know which theoretical truths are useful for ethics.

But I think another option that is not listed is the most classical one (albeit close to (1)): theoretical philosophy is worth doing simply for the sake of contemplation. This activity is enjoyable but enjoyment is its result, not its purpose.

3/24/2017 8:49 pm  #3

Another option, which I suppose is not too common among members of this forum, is quietism, of the sort defended (advocated?) by Wittgenstein and McDowell: The point of philosophy is to convince yourself that there are no true philosophical problems. Such philosophy is also called therapeutic.

Naturally this blurs theoretical and practical philosophy.

3/25/2017 11:13 am  #4

Greg wrote:

Another option, which I suppose is not too common among members of this forum, is quietism, of the sort defended (advocated?) by Wittgenstein and McDowell: The point of philosophy is to convince yourself that there are no true philosophical problems. Such philosophy is also called therapeutic.

I think one could have a "therapeutic" motivation for pursuing theoretical philosophy without going to this extreme (e.g. Epictetus).  One might recognize that the disorder of one's mind is pathological and consider the rigorous pursuit of truth through disciplined dialectic the best (or at least a pretty good) antidote for this disorder.  It doesn't follow from this that the problems thus pursued are not real problems.  (Although one intellectual pathology certainly is incessant anxiety over pseudoproblems that only arise within a post-enlightenment frame of reference, and perhaps Wittgenstein and McDowell serve a helpful purpose for such a person.)

For my part, I pursue theoretical philosophy as an act of obedience to the particular call of God upon my life.  I see myself as one organ within the total body of Christ, part of whose function it is to pursue the truth in as disciplined a fashion as possible and transmit the truth thus learned together with its justification to the rest of the body.  I also find it fun, but I see this as merely one signal among others that this is indeed the call of God, i.e. a sign that he made me for this in the way that the racehorse's love for the race is a sign that he was bred for this activity.

3/25/2017 2:06 pm  #5

Greg wrote:

Well, I have been more interested in practical philosophy recently. So part of my interest in theoretical philosophy is that it sometimes bears on practical philosophy.

Strictly speaking, according to the way I understand the division between theoretical and practical philosophy, this would make my study of theoretical philosophy in fact a study of practical philosophy. I follow Aristotle, that is, in holding that the theoretical and practical intellects are the same power; the one is intellect directed to contemplation, the other is the intellect directed to action. Practical knowledge is knowledge about singulars in action. But other truths are practical in a certain respect if they are or can be used in practice.

So throughout the Ethics, Aristotle will mention 'theoretical' points about how the virtues are defined, etc., and note that these too are included in ethics and politics. But he is also constantly saying that we need not inquire into certain matters further, as far as action is concerned.

Realistically, though, prior to engaging in theoretical inquiry, we do not know which theoretical truths are useful for ethics.

But I think another option that is not listed is the most classical one (albeit close to (1)): theoretical philosophy is worth doing simply for the sake of contemplation. This activity is enjoyable but enjoyment is its result, not its purpose.

Thank you for your responses Greg.

I have not heard about quietism or therapeutic philosophy. I will try to look at it and see what it means.

Last edited by nojoum (3/25/2017 2:07 pm)

3/25/2017 2:12 pm  #6

Proclus wrote:

For my part, I pursue theoretical philosophy as an act of obedience to the particular call of God upon my life.  I see myself as one organ within the total body of Christ, part of whose function it is to pursue the truth in as disciplined a fashion as possible and transmit the truth thus learned together with its justification to the rest of the body.  I also find it fun, but I see this as merely one signal among others that this is indeed the call of God, i.e. a sign that he made me for this in the way that the racehorse's love for the race is a sign that he was bred for this activity.

Thank you for your response.

Could you please clarify what is meant by truth?
Truthfulness of God's existence, Christianity and its teachings? The truth regarding natural world? Truth regarding politics, economy and so on?

Last edited by nojoum (3/25/2017 2:13 pm)

3/25/2017 3:35 pm  #7

Here is a fun rearrangement of letters:  Pilate asked "Quid est veritas?"  The tacit answer staring him in the face is "est vir qui adest."

A true sentence is one in which the contents correspond with reality.  Specifically, the relation between the subject and the predicate of the sentence bears an analogical relation to the relation between an object in the world and a some real feature of that object.  Or paraphrasing Aristotle, speaking true sentences happens when we say about what is that it is or about what is not that it is not, and speaking false sentences happens when we say about what is that it is not or about what is not that it is (Metaphysics 1011b).

Truth is to "true" what Beauty is to "beautiful," in other words, the Truth is that in virtue of which true things are true.  Ultimately, I think that this is Jesus Christ the λόγος of God, in virtue of whom (1) there is a world at all, (2) the structure of that world is intelligible, and (3) a correspondence can exist between our thought and the intelligible structure of that world.  (Incidentally, Νοῦς plays something like this role in Plato and Aristotle.)  At a lower level of analysis, knowing the truth can mean latching onto even a corner of his robe, i.e. achieving even a partial coincidence between our thought and the intelligibility of the world.  And at a still lower level, a correspondence between what we say about the world and the way the world is.

3/25/2017 3:51 pm  #8

Proclus wrote:

Here is a fun rearrangement of letters:  Pilate asked "Quid est veritas?"  The tacit answer staring him in the face is "est vir qui adest."

A true sentence is one in which the contents correspond with reality.  Specifically, the relation between the subject and the predicate of the sentence bears an analogical relation to the relation between an object in the world and a some real feature of that object.  Or paraphrasing Aristotle, speaking true sentences happens when we say about what is that it is or about what is not that it is not, and speaking false sentences happens when we say about what is that it is not or about what is not that it is (Metaphysics 1011b).

Truth is to "true" what Beauty is to "beautiful," in other words, the Truth is that in virtue of which true things are true.  Ultimately, I think that this is Jesus Christ the λόγος of God, in virtue of whom (1) there is a world at all, (2) the structure of that world is intelligible, and (3) a correspondence can exist between our thought and the intelligible structure of that world.  (Incidentally, Νοῦς plays something like this role in Plato and Aristotle.)  At a lower level of analysis, knowing the truth can mean latching onto even a corner of his robe, i.e. achieving even a partial coincidence between our thought and the intelligibility of the world.  And at a still lower level, a correspondence between what we say about the world and the way the world is.

Thanks.

I somehow get the feeling that you want to have knowledge of everything. This brings me to another point that such a task is impossible to do and you have to narrow your inquiry. So then what would your inquiry and its goal be?

Last edited by nojoum (3/25/2017 3:51 pm)

3/26/2017 8:44 am  #9

Ultimately, there is just one thing (or better, person) I want to know: the Λόγος of God.  Along the way, however, I am, of course, constrained by various practical principles that guide my study.  I am an integral part of a committed community.  I must ask myself what the immediate needs of the community are and labor to benefit the people to whom God has given me in preaching and teaching.  I might have a long term fundamental question that needs answering, but realize that I need to answer preliminary questions along the way.  With any luck I will earn my PhD in a few weeks, so my research has been constrained by the practical requirements of a successful dissertation (and sometimes the whims of my committee).  For a few weeks here and there I find a certain topic fascinating, so I read a few books about it.  Behind all these more immediate and practical constraints I have been praying that God would guide what I read and think about, so I trust that the Spirit is able to infiltrate all these influences---and others that I can scarcely guess---to bring me to the destination of knowing Jesus more and having the ability to transmit some part of that knowledge to his body the Church.

3/26/2017 8:26 pm  #10

Proclus wrote:

I think one could have a "therapeutic" motivation for pursuing theoretical philosophy without going to this extreme (e.g. Epictetus).  One might recognize that the disorder of one's mind is pathological and consider the rigorous pursuit of truth through disciplined dialectic the best (or at least a pretty good) antidote for this disorder.  It doesn't follow from this that the problems thus pursued are not real problems.

I think that's right. These days, 'quietism' (which is a thesis about the solubility of the problems of philosophy) seems to be the label that is introduced first; this approach is then characterized as being therapeutic. But other approaches might be therapeutic without being committed to quietism.

Board footera