Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2017 4:02 am  #1

Non-Reducible Natural Kinds?

I'm dealing with certain aspects of Lowe's metaphysics and certain ways of reading Aristotle and it occurred to me to ask:

What possible argument could justify natural kinds as a primitive or a kind of whole not reducible to some kind of constituents?

It's puzzling to me both from a phenomenological position- since it's not clear to me that natural kinds appear as something over and above a collection of their properties -and from an historical perspective, since Aristotle is ambiguous about reduction and both Plato (see the Timaeus) and some Platonic followers (Xenocrates explicitly) tend to want to reduce Forms to numbers or mathematicals in the World Soul or something of that sort.

Once I gave up the idea that "reduction" of natural kinds entails some kind of materialism (and thus gave up a kind of naive Platonism of especially mundane things) I've come to see less and less justification for natural kinds on the level of metaphysics. I can see their merit from the level of a kind of scientific, psychological, social, humanistic, or ethical realism, but once I proceed to cash out the objects of these domains into their fundamental constituents I have no argument.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/27/2017 11:53 am  #2

Re: Non-Reducible Natural Kinds?

Hello iwpoe,

I am not sure how you can depart from non-reducible natural kinds without slipping into an infinite regress. Force or violence, being a motion, is derivative of nature and presupposes substance, so even accidental/chance generations, effects or alterations necessitate some original substance that, presumably, would have to have existed naturally or just be natural, especially on a materialistic account of the universe (I suppose a theist could argue God created unnatural kinds as the original material of the universe). Those things then could be subject to force or violence resulting, I suppose, in unnatural kinds/products.

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

Board footera