Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2017 3:47 am  #1

How do you balance the intellectual and spiritual dimensions of faith?

When I read serious philosophy and theology I feel like my faith becomes dry, cold, calculable, impersonal. When I emphasize the spiritual side (e.g. prayer, scripture, mysticism) I fear that my faith could become emotionally-contrived, psychologically illusory. I would love to know how to blend these two dimensions. They seem to operate separately most of the time. 

5/11/2017 5:35 pm  #2

Re: How do you balance the intellectual and spiritual dimensions of faith?

Great suggestions. I've started listening to the podcast already.

5/11/2017 10:55 pm  #3

Is it all kinds of philosophy that is causes you to feel this way? I'm not a Christian, but I find that philosophy and theology, as long as they are varieties open to the sacred (Platonic, Aristotelian, Christians, Islamic, Dharmic, etc.), actually have a positive influence on my spirituality. Obviously, not all are equal in this regard. There are some philosophers who balance the spiritual and intellectual particularly well. The Fathers, especially the Alexandrine and Cappadocian Fathers, spring to mind as obvious Christian examples. In the Roman Catholic tradition, the Victorines and the School of Chartres, amongst others, stand out.

5/12/2017 12:50 am  #4

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Is it all kinds of philosophy that is causes you to feel this way? I'm not a Christian, but I find that philosophy and theology, as long as they are varieties open to the sacred (Platonic, Aristotelian, Christians, Islamic, Dharmic, etc.), actually has a positive influence on my spirituality. Obviously, not all are equal in this regard. There are some philosophers who balance the spiritual and intellectual particularly well. The Fathers, especially the Alexandrine and Cappadocian Fathers, spring to mind as obvious Christian examples. In the Roman Catholic tradition, the Victorines and the School of Chartres, amongst others, stand out.

Mostly it is philosophy that has theological implications. For instance, Aquinas' Five Ways, when studied intently, can have a negative side effect on my spirituality. I feel as if I'm objectifying something that ought to be viewed in a more sacred manner--as if I'm reducing faith to a matter of propositions and formal reasoning, like someone who reduces the beauty of a painting to splotches of oils and dyes. I can't help but think, however, that this is an error on my part, that I'm just falsely viewing philosophy and spirituality as competitors.

5/12/2017 3:19 am  #5

Remember, the terms and arguments of philosophy are discursive representatioms of things (hopefully). They aren't those things themselves in all their richness.I would say philosophy can help us to better grasp those non-discursively, spirituality even. I do think Platonist approaches express this better, often, than Aristotelian ones (see for example Suhrawardi and his Illuminationist school as a great illustration).

5/12/2017 12:59 pm  #6

Philosophy does create doubt at first. It scrutinizes all our presuppositions, and most of what we hold dear. It's hard to imagine it not creating doubt (and, so, hard to imagine it not having a negative effect on spirituality).

I've heard that starting with the philosophy of the Schools helps. The idea, I suppose, is that whereas many classes now present philosophy as a series of problems, the scholastics presented it as a body of knowledge.

Board footera