Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2017 9:21 am  #1

John Heil and Contingency

In his paper Contingency, John Heil asks us to imagine a possible world where there are no objects whatsoever, quickly, if there are no objects, then in what sense is this a world?

I'm assuming Heil takes the world to be a sum of everything that exists. I agree that it would be infelicitous to say that there is such a possible world. But this doesn't seem right to me, surely the question "Why is there something rather than nothing?" asks us to consider the very possibility that no objects exist, and that would entail that no possibilities, and thus no actual or possible world existing could be a live possibility.

Thoughts?

5/13/2017 10:21 am  #2

Re: John Heil and Contingency

The better question is: how did there come to be contingent beings in the first place? Even if we put aside the question of necessary concrete beings, those who ask it typicaly don't mean to include objects like abstracta.

For a full book on the subject, albeit one which jejune on the subject of necessary beings, I'd recommend Geraldine Coggins' Could There Have Been Nothing?: Against Metaphysical Nihilism (which, in the interests of random biography, was first read by yours truly whilst huddled in a tent in a storm at a festival).

Last edited by DanielCC (5/13/2017 10:22 am)

5/14/2017 10:25 am  #3

My fear is that I that the possible worlds semantics might not be able to entertain the question, and thus there would be a charge of un-intelligibility. But this is one of the few questions that has always made me wonder about, and postulate God. The book you've recommended is something I've been after for such a long time!! I'll order it in a week's time, thanks!!!

Last edited by Dennis (5/14/2017 10:28 am)

5/14/2017 3:23 pm  #4

Dennis wrote:

My fear is that I that the possible worlds semantics might not be able to entertain the question, and thus there would be a charge of un-intelligibility.

Well this is the famous problem of counter-possibles which leads people to explore the notion of 'impossible worlds' isn't it?

5/16/2017 7:49 am  #5

I see, I didn't know about that, I thought that there was plenty of room for work, and I never really bothered to check out the "impossible-worlds" in full since I didn't need it, but it seems that I'll have to do that now.

Board footera