Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2017 6:34 pm  #1

Looking for good PSR Cosmological Argument

Specifically one that can get me to a monotheistic, personal, omnipotent and omniscient God.

Last edited by RomanJoe (5/23/2017 6:35 pm)

5/23/2017 9:42 pm  #2

Re: Looking for good PSR Cosmological Argument

If I remember correctly William Lane Craig's Kalam version is decent specifically because he includes the point that the first cause must be personal.

5/24/2017 4:20 am  #3

WLC has intro level stuff on Davies weak PSR formulation. For something with an emphasis on deriving Divine Attributes in the course of a PSR argument take a look at the final section, The Gap Problem from Pruss' paper, Leibnizian Cosmological Arguments.

5/24/2017 11:06 am  #4

Well I formed a version of the argument recently around two versions of Lagrange's formulations of the principle, using Anselmian language about being "through oneself" and "through another". I agree it isn't great, and I only give two restorsion arguments for the PSR, but eh, it was written for a dialogue that will never happen, so I toned it down (since the discussion topic radically changed). I do give an explanation for the Divine Attributes we can derive out of it at the end. Whether one should accept a weak or strong PSR is not discussed here, as I don't necessarily discuss the issues with say, God's creative powers (plus I am sympathetic to a strong version of the PSR anyways). This is just a brief look. I think there are around five or six good arguments for God being intellectual for example, while I list only two. Here it is:

https://arcadiawoodtable.wordpress.com/2017/05/22/a-neo-scholastic-leibnizian-cosmological-argument/

Last edited by Camoden (5/24/2017 11:36 am)

Board footera