Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/24/2017 1:54 pm  #1

Book suggestion for Atheist interested in AT

Any good book you would suggest for a philosophically-nuanced atheist who is interested in the AT worldview and open to arguments for God's existence, given the validity of the AT worldview?

7/26/2017 1:51 am  #2

Re: Book suggestion for Atheist interested in AT

Perhaps not a good idea of me to suggest a book I have not read myself, but I like the title and I have it queued up for reading: A brief text-book of logic and mental philosophy by Charles Coppens, available here https://archive.org/details/abrieftextbookof00coppuoft

Another on similar notes: Two accounts of Aristotle's logic, available here https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/36257366/two-accounts-of-aristotles-logic-nicolas-fillion

7/27/2017 2:33 am  #3

seigneur wrote:

Perhaps not a good idea of me to suggest a book I have not read myself, but I like the title and I have it queued up for reading: A brief text-book of logic and mental philosophy by Charles Coppens, available here https://archive.org/details/abrieftextbookof00coppuoft

Another on similar notes: Two accounts of Aristotle's logic, available here https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/36257366/two-accounts-of-aristotles-logic-nicolas-fillion

Thank you very much. They sound promising.

7/27/2017 4:10 pm  #4

If the person in question is already philosophically literate I'd suggest Feser's Scholastic Metaphysics or Real Essentialism again. If they're just starting with serious philosophy then Feser's Aquinas or Michael Augros' Who Designed the Designer might be better options.

I'd advise against any textbooks on Aristotelian logic. Although there are modern philosophers who defend a modified form of Organon logic by and large the simplified account the Neo-Thomists used has been utterly superseded by modern logic - it would be equivalent to trying to sell the virtues of Betamax to someone used to Blueray.

7/28/2017 3:45 pm  #5

DanielCC wrote:

If the person in question is already philosophically literate I'd suggest Feser's Scholastic Metaphysics or Real Essentialism again. If they're just starting with serious philosophy then Feser's Aquinas or Michael Augros' Who Designed the Designer might be better options.

I'd advise against any textbooks on Aristotelian logic. Although there are modern philosophers who defend a modified form of Organon logic by and large the simplified account the Neo-Thomists used has been utterly superseded by modern logic - it would be equivalent to trying to sell the virtues of Betamax to someone used to Blueray.

Thanks. I actually think Real Essentialism is a great defense of the AT worldview. I don't think, however, Oderberg gives arguments for the existence of God in it.

7/29/2017 7:48 am  #6

DanielCC wrote:

I completely disagree that Aristotelian logic is outdated in any sense. Any particular system of logic provides only a limited clue to what logic as such (as correct thinking) is about. The complete view dawns when one knows several systems, just like every additional language in addition to the mother tongue adds to the comprehension of the full potential of human language.

Aristotelian logic is an irreducible part of the complete picture of A-T philosophy. The article I linked to makes it wonderfully clear that there can be good and not so good textbook representations of Aristotelian logic, and how Aristotelian system relates to modern logic.

There are legitimately differing views if there's an insurmountable chasm between traditional and modern logic or if there's been a more or less smooth development, refinement or degeneration.

Board footera