Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2018 7:48 pm  #71

Re: How to speak with atheists

@ Dry and Uninspired 
Hopefully their hearts become unhardened. 

2/13/2018 6:06 pm  #72

Mysterious Brony wrote:

@ Dry and Uninspired 
Hopefully their hearts become unhardened. 

Thank you. I hope so too.

2/13/2018 8:44 pm  #73

To Miguel or anyone familiar with the arguments for God’s goodness. 

It seems that when we speak of God being Good, we are speaking about Him being Pure Actuality and having absolutely no privations, and thus, conforming perfectly to His nature or essence. 

Would that be an accurate description?

If so, how do we develop the argument for his moral goodness?   I’m currently stuck in my explanation of how/why God must be morally Good.

2/16/2018 10:29 pm  #74

@ joewaked

I'm going to pitch in my two cents. 

"If so, how do we develop the argument for his moral goodness?   I’m currently stuck in my explanation of how/why God must be morally Good."

I'm not exactly sure what are you asking. However, I will give you related answers. Since God is Goodness Itself then from His Nature (which is His Goodness) "flows" the good. More specifically, God will necessarily (meaning in all possible worlds) give out good moral commands and command avoiding evils.  

2/17/2018 11:33 pm  #75

Mysterious Brony wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what are you asking. However, I will give you related answers. Since God is Goodness Itself then from His Nature (which is His Goodness) "flows" the good. More specifically, God will necessarily (meaning in all possible worlds) give out good moral commands and command avoiding evils.  

When you say “God is Goodness Itself”, are you meaning that Goodness = possession of all perfections?

If so, does such perfections necessarily include all moral goodness?   I suppose I’m asking “how do I list the logical steps that get me to that conclusion?”

Last edited by joewaked (2/19/2018 1:03 am)

2/19/2018 5:03 pm  #76

@ joewaked
I think I understand what you are asking.

In a way, yes, God is "possession of all perfections."* Let's remember that God cannot lack "perfection" or else He's not God. Since that's the case then yes, such "perfection" necessarily includes moral goodness. 

*As a side note: This can lead to semantic-ontology questions. 

Yesterday 1:26 am  #77

Mysterious Brony wrote:

@ joewaked
Since that's the case then yes, such "perfection" necessarily includes moral goodness. 

My question is, why does that necessitate moral goodness?

Board footera