Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2015 2:22 pm  #1

"Christians" tired of being misrepresented

I'm not Christian but has anyone here heard of the facebook group "Christians" tired of being misrepresented? I've been to their page a few times, and while I admire their tolerance towards other faiths, and their dislike for bigotry, I feel that the group is just a bunch of people who don't like their religion and are trying to alter it to fit their views. They support same-sex marriage, and abortion. They also regulary quote from New Atheist such as Harris and Bill Maher as well as also having many post that are anti-religous and encouraging/praising atheism(They claim to tolerate all faiths but they never do the same for Islam, Buddhism or Hinduism). My biggest pet peeve with them is that they get really angry when Christians do something bad such as stereotype all Muslims, but when people like Harris and Maher do the same they are completely silent and ignore them. They also think church's give post-traumatic church syndrome(whatever the hell that is), and also post many post about how religion causes ''trauma".  I think they are trying too hard to fit in with the secular crowd and care about earning their approval rather than trying to show what Christianity actualy is. They never mention positive points about such as the Five Ways and other intellectual philosophy behind it, and seem to just critcize and blame it for everything wrong in the world. One member said he is a "recovering" Catholic. They even recently posted a post saying how we are all really agnostic rather than true theist. Have any of you guys checked them out as welll/

8/26/2015 2:28 pm  #2

Re: "Christians" tired of being misrepresented

They're basically like Reform Jews. It's a repulsive phenomenon.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

8/29/2015 2:27 pm  #3

But seriously it amazes me of how hypocritical they are. Believers of all faiths should criticize actions that are contraire to it whether commited by fellow believers or secular masses. 98 percent of their post seem to be kissing up to gnu's and they actually admire/respect them for providing "intellectual challenges"(which confirms they have the same mindsent as gnus and do not care for understanding the philosophy behind God of thinkers such as Aquinas, Aristotle, Avicenna, and others. They just follow the militant gnus in every aspect, even their intellectual dishonest, and regulary quote them in order to voice their opinion on certain issues,). These guys really need to be called out for their hypocrisy.

8/29/2015 5:29 pm  #4

@Alexander,
I feel like if you tell them to stop misrepresenting orthodoxy they will say that it is anti-gay, sexist, unpleasant and should be rejected. They have even admitted to cherry picking the Bible. They seem to me to be a gnu's dream Christian.

Board footera