Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/04/2015 11:23 pm  #111

Re: Suggesstions for the forums and issues for moderation.

It would be good to have a Glossary thread, listing medieval and scholastic terminology. We throw around a lot of technical language (not to mention Latin) and it would, I think, help ease communication to have a thread where readers can check definitions at a glance.

Last edited by John West (7/04/2015 11:26 pm)

7/05/2015 3:55 am  #112

DanielCC wrote:

I hope Feser gives us a link in his next Around the Web post. I am wondering what would be the best way to tactfully advertise these boards - I think there's most definitely niche for this type of site in Philosophy of Religion circles; a way to set up a sort of dialogue with all those WLC fan-bloggers (that's meant with no disrespect) out here.

Has anyone tried to corresonp with him about it? He's unlikely to just notice.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

7/05/2015 9:11 am  #113

John West wrote:

It would be good to have a Glossary thread, listing medieval and scholastic terminology. We throw around a lot of technical language (not to mention Latin) and it would, I think, help ease communication to have a thread where readers can check definitions at a glance.

I highly recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Scholastic-Philosophy-Bernard-Wuellner/dp/1622920007 -- and I also highly recommend recommending it. 

7/06/2015 3:14 pm  #114

This thread is probably the wrong venue for my question, but I don't know where else to go.  My problem:  I can't find any way to post on the Religion forum.  Am I overlooking something?

7/06/2015 3:28 pm  #115

Spiculum wrote:

Am I overlooking something?

You are not; some of us were until you pointed it out. We knew that problem was affecting the "Philosophy" forum (I originally brought the problem to the attention of moderator John West) but apparently it's affecting the entire "Serious Discussions" section.

Our administrator, Jeremy Taylor, seems to have inadvertently turned something on (or off) somewhere that's supposed to be off (or on). He's been notified of the problem, but since he lives in Australia, where it's currently early morning tomorrow, it may be a little while before he's able to address it. Take heart and be of good cheer; we cannot but prevail.

Last edited by Scott (7/06/2015 3:30 pm)

7/06/2015 3:48 pm  #116

Yeah, since only the Politics section of "Serious Discussions" is unaffected, I know exactly what happened. It will be fixed within a few hours.

Last edited by John West (7/06/2015 3:49 pm)

7/06/2015 6:32 pm  #117

Sorry about that. John and I decided to trial letting guest posts on certain forums, but I accidentally stopped all postings instead of allowing all. It should be fixed now.

7/06/2015 6:54 pm  #118

Aha, that explains it. Thanks for the repair job.

7/09/2015 1:03 am  #119

Okay, so on reflection I have done away with the subforum for Dr. Feser's blog postings, as these can probably be just as easily discussed in the main philosophy forum. I have, on advice, set up a subforum for beginners' questions in the philosophy forum, so that those who have introductory questions about Classical Theism or any other philosophical topic can ask them there.

7/09/2015 7:55 pm  #120

Conversations will naturally reference back to Dr. Feser's blog posts. This forum's hyperlink feature is especially easy to use. Further, it would be nice if this forum might later try to find a feature that allowed one to search-engine the content (from this forum) of Dr. Feser's blog, as this would make it easy to find relevant entries and then link back to them from here (but that, no doubt, is an ideal).

A forum is a much more ideal place for drawn-out discussions. Most likely Dr. Feser's blog (and I hope you are collobarting with him) will receive added traffic as a consequence and, indeed, many questions or posts on his blog will be responded to with either threads of specific posts from this forum.

Let it grow organically. As Dr. Feser's "marriage and the matrix" post amply proves, his best work and discussions get frustrated by the litany of replies, which does in fact erode debate and interest in it (via intimidation - who's going to read through several pages of comments to see what his work has produced philosophically in others and how it has developed?).

I would further add a quick hyperlink to Dr. Feser's blog depending on the Forum management tools available to you - he did generously give a "shout out" to this forum, which has already received in a few days almost 70 members. Not bad for an extremely niche web forum with no advertising budget!

Last edited by Timocrates (7/09/2015 7:57 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

Board footera