Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2016 11:45 am  #21

Re: I think I know why people consider voting for Trump.

Greg, I don't know how you can have a culturally relative "practically possible" invincible ignorance.

First, if we're talking about the incident I think we're talking about, Trump was referring to a world in which abortion was illegal. In such a world it's very hard for me to see how a woman procuring an abortion could be naive about what she was doing.

Second, let's keep to the present context. I'm simply in full doubt about both the ignorance and the relevance of the sort of ignorance in question. Are you're telling me that what's required is a lack of ignorance about the metaphysical personhood of the fetus? The arguments for metaphysical fetal personhood are stipulative and tendentious. I think they're much stronger than opponents treat them, but it's not as if there's any culture in which that argument is going to be indubitably settled- and that gos for the doctors as well as the mother. That burden seems far too high for any sort of culpability- akin to requiring that there be a final metaphysically decisive account of what property is before someone can be charged with theft.

I mean, maybe you meant something else. Even so, your prior post seemed to me to put a lot of weight on women being told that the fetus is a clump of cells, and, I mean, for big parts of the first trimester that's a fair description, and even by the end of the first trimester a fetus has translucent skin and is quite odd looking. This all seems besides the point because the argument against abortion is meant to apply even when it's quite reasonable even for a doctor to call it "a clump of cells"- from say 1 to 7 weeks. It's not all that difficult to become aware of the pregnancy 2 to 4 weeks in and procure an abortion immediately without having been mislead by that description in the least. The whole point of the metaphysical argument is that clump-of-cell-hood and personhood are not mutually exclusive categories. So whatever sort of ignorance being told that the fetus is "a clump of cells" might constitute it doesn't seem relevant to the wrong.

I actually violently reject this 'well look how baby-looking' it is pro-life propaganda approach, since the personhood argument the whole thing hinges on applies just as well to zygotes, blastocysts, etc, and would prohibit abortion even if it was easy to perform in the first week of pregnancy (which isn't impossible to make regular practice, especially given medical technology dedicated to the task, just difficult). It's a red herring with nothing but rhetorical value.

So what exactly is your defense of the women here? I know they're stressed, but so what? I know that the process and fetus may have been described to them in certain ways, but that seems irrelevant.

Last edited by iwpoe (4/01/2016 6:36 pm)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

4/01/2016 5:47 pm  #22

iwpoe wrote:

I don't know how you can have a culturally relative "practically possible" invincible ignorance.

First, if we're talking about the incident I think we're talking about, Trump was referring to a world in which abortion was illegal. In such a world it's very hard for me to see how a woman procuring an abortion could be naive about what she was doing.

I'm sorry, Poe, I think I misread your original replies. I certainly wasn't intending to make any appeals to invincible ignorance.

iwpoe wrote:

Second, let's keep to the present context. I'm simply in full doubt about both the ignorance and the relevance of the sort of ignorance in question. Are you're telling me that what's required is a lack of ignorance about the metaphysical personhood of the fetus?

No.

iwpoe wrote:

The arguments for metaphysical fetal personhood are stipulative and tendentious. I think they're much stronger than opponents treat them, but it's not as if there's any culture in which that argument is going to be indubitably settled- and that gos for the doctors as well as the mother. That burden seems far too high for any sort of culpability- akin to requiring that there be a final metaphysically decisive account of what property is before someone can be charged with theft.

I mean, maybe you meant something else. Even so, your prior post seemed to me to put a lot of weight on women being told that the fetus is a clump of cells, and, I mean, for big parts of the first trimester that's a fair description, and even by the end of the first trimester a fetus has translucent skin and is quite odd looking. This all seems besides the point because the argument against abortion is meant to apply even when it's quite reasonable even for a doctor to call it "a clump of cells"- from say 1 to 7 weeks. It's not all that difficult to become aware of the pregnancy 2 to 4 weeks in and procure an abortion immediately without having been mislead by that description in the least. The whole point of the metaphysical argument is that clump-of-cell-hood and personhood are not mutually exclusive categories. So whatever sort of ignorance being told that the fetus is "a clump of cells" might constitute it doesn't seem relevant to the wrong.

I actually violently reject this 'well look how baby-looking' it is pro-life propaganda approach, since the personhood argument the whole thing hinges on applies just as well to zygotes, blastocysts, etc, and would prohibit abortion even if it was easy to perform in the first week of pregnancy (which isn't impossible to make regular practice, especially given medical technology dedicated to the task, just difficult). It's a red herring with nothing but rhetorical value.

So what exactly is your defense of the women here? I know they're stressed, but so what? I know that the process and fetus may have been described to them in certain ways, but that seems irrelevant.

I'm not sure why you think I'm making a defense for any abortion. I insist that it is simply natural for people to understand that conception = human life. I think an emphasis on personhood would arguably even be misplaced. It takes sophistry more than anything to confuse the issue.

You are correct in your previous post that any number of things are by nature revolting to us. But the opposite sex will normally not be anything like revolting once one passes through puberty; the slaughter of war, however, will remain revolting.

I disagree absolutely with your claim that abortion cannot be virtually intuited by people - even and perhaps especially young people - to simply be morally wrong. I have to stress yet again that by nature children typically will identify with the womb. It's hard to imagine a child not seeing their own destruction as something simply wrong. Most children are pretty cocksure of their own innocence and goodness.

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

4/01/2016 5:47 pm  #23

Anyways, as I predicted, Trump is more or less now playing the 'I'm only human card':

http://www.lifenews.com/2016/04/01/donald-trump-i-misspoke-saying-punish-women-for-abortions-blames-convoluted-question/

Give him some credit, I guess. He can certainly play the game. And raising the issue of abortion is certainly bad news for the Dems who typically fall all over the place when the issue is brought up and avoid it like, well, pregnancy.

Last edited by Timocrates (4/01/2016 5:51 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."

4/01/2016 6:22 pm  #24

Tim, that was a reply to Greg. I should have quoted him I guess, but I didn't really have anything I wanted to take line by line.

He and I are having an argument about weather women are presently in general guilty of something they in principle deserve punishment for. I'm inclined to think that if the metaphysical argument works, then yes, they are, and that most defenses of them are implausible and would not wash for other crimes.

I mean Trump is right: the metaphysical argument construes abortion as the killing of an innocent person. If the metaphysical argument is right, then you have a woman who is contracting to have somebody kill an innocent person.

The usual defenses for the mother are stress and ignorance. But these are not even adequate defenses for much lesser crimes, nevermind murder. Even if I grant Greg's arguments that the usual descriptions of abortion are sufficiently misleading to free a woman from having intentionally killed an innocent person, I don't see why she wouldn't thereby be guilty of some kind of manslaughter and negligence.

Timocrates wrote:

I disagree absolutely with your claim that abortion cannot be virtually intuited by people - even and perhaps especially young people - to simply be morally wrong. I have to stress yet again that by nature children typically will identify with the womb. It's hard to imagine a child not seeing their own destruction as something simply wrong. Most children are pretty cocksure of their own innocence and goodness.

Children are assholes, Tim. They're not sure of their goodness, they're just sure that you should give them whatever they say. I think that you are just sentimental and inclined to interpret that as the working of the natural law in their innocence in a case that you agree with. Since children say all sorts of things are wrong, including a lot of things that obviously aren't but would just bother them for stupid child reasons, I'm not particularly impressed by the argument.

I'm not disagreeing with you that children manifest some kind of repulsion do a lot of things, it's just that I disagree with your interpretation of moral intuition. That's not moral intuition because there has been no proper distinction made between disgust as a passion and moral intuitions prompted by disgust.

Last edited by iwpoe (4/01/2016 6:52 pm)

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

4/01/2016 10:27 pm  #25

Also, lest anyone I think my attitude about mothers seeking abortion of their own conviction is merely a personal assessment, the only study conducted on the matter shows that 87% of women pursuing an abortion are highly confident about their decision, and also that mandatory counseling, ultrasound, waiting periods, and other smultzy products of wishful thinking about girls that conservatives have allowed to cloud their legislative judgment have negligible effect on most women pursuing abortions:
https://www.guttmacher.org/about/journals/psrh/2012/05/attitudes-and-decision-making-among-women-seeking-abortions-one-us

I think that high confidence intervals to that margin support my assertion that women who go for abortions are quite decided and purposeful about what they're doing, not misled by evil Planned Parenthood forces (certainly not on the day) or whatever bogeyman you like. Perhaps one of you was misled by some sweet faced girl lying to you later about how much she regretted her decision. I'm sure she accidentally had the numerous rounds of sex that got her in that state too. If she doesn't have three or four now and a stable prospering home life, I promise you that she doesn't regret her decision.

I suspect that those women who are either strongly opposed to or truly ambivalent about abortion either contracept or avoid sex altogether or have the baby. They aren't like talked into it on the spot.

Last edited by iwpoe (4/01/2016 11:40 pm)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

4/03/2016 9:55 pm  #26

You make some fair points, Poe. I'll try to prepare a response possibly in a modified spirit this week.

4/04/2016 2:40 am  #27

Greg wrote:

You make some fair points, Poe. I'll try to prepare a response possibly in a modified spirit this week.

I also remarked in the same vein but more concisely here:

http://classicaltheism.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=4230#p4230

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

4/05/2016 2:57 am  #28

iwpoe wrote:

Tim, that was a reply to Greg. I should have quoted him I guess, but I didn't really have anything I wanted to take line by line.

He and I are having an argument about weather women are presently in general guilty of something they in principle deserve punishment for. I'm inclined to think that if the metaphysical argument works, then yes, they are,

Yes, they are. But retroactive punishment is wrong. The women and the men who participated in abortion will have to answer for it. Frankly, that's half the reason homosexuality is so popular. It's perfect. All pleasure and no consequences.

iwpoe wrote:

Children are assholes,

Okay Poe. You're wrong, but okay.

4/05/2016 7:01 am  #29

Timocrates wrote:

Yes, they are. But retroactive punishment is wrong.

It is? That's an assumption of modern jurisprudence (except when it isn't), but seems in need of an argument.

But we are fully capable of making the distinction between:

1. Deserving punishment under present statutory law.
2. Deserving punishment in principle under natural law.

I am at the least talking about 2. A man who murders his brother in the wilderness outside the jurisdiction of any statute and out of the site of anyone merits punishment, whether or not anyone has standing to do so. Indeed, the level on which 2 operates seems to be the primary way in which we are to judge statute law. The only other criteria are clarity, coherency, and functionality more generally, none of which have anything to do with actual justice.

Timocrates wrote:

The women and the men who participated in abortion will have to answer for it.

And? So will every man for every crime.

Timocrates wrote:

Frankly, that's half the reason homosexuality is so popular. It's perfect. All pleasure and no consequences.

That won't explain why homosexuality as opposed to other forms of sexual activity, but I'll take your word on it.

Timocrates wrote:

Okay Poe. You're wrong, but okay.

Your anthropology is wrong and saccharine.

I'll use less shocking language for you:

Children are selfish messes. They can't sort out property, self-denial, delay of gratification, and they express negative feelings in extreme sometimes even frightening ways. It is fortunate that they are not a physically strong as adults. I don't know if you've had a lot of experience with children or if you have some kind of sentimental view about them, but to the extent they're sweet they're also cruel and strange. They are no model by which you can directly understand the natural law.

Moreover, they're clearly vulnerable to the hedonism you're complaining about- more so than most adults and to such a degree that they have to be disciplined and monitored away from it. Your idea about their natural disgust of things being capable of ending abortion (or anything) in their adulthood is foolish and not even self-reflective. Most people grow out of many of their childhood aversions without any sort of education away from it. For instance, I was strongly averse to sexual intercourse and manual labor when I was 8 years old. I would not have grown up to eliminate either in my adulthood.

Last edited by iwpoe (4/05/2016 3:51 pm)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

4/08/2016 11:14 pm  #30

It is worth noting that, I've just found out, women are, in fact, presently charged for self-induced or presumed self-induced abortions or some ancillary activity related to self-induced abortions in many states. I apologize for the source, but the aggregator does link to the original articles:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2016/03/women-are-already-being-prosecuted-for-having-abortions.html

So, Trump wasn't even merely, as I argued, right on principle. He's just in fact right. If you're all bumping against the consequence of the policies that fall out of the pro-life movement rather straightforwardly, it's hard to see what hope there is for the movement popularly when this fact catches on.

Last edited by iwpoe (4/08/2016 11:14 pm)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera