Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2015 9:30 am  #11

Re: What determines your gender?

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I know it is a controversial point,  but is there even such a thing as gender? It seems a new and loaded term to describe the division of the sexes in such a way that someone might be a different sex innately to their biological sex. Without further proof I am somewhat opposed to the very term gender.  For such a usage it seems to have arisen within the last few decades to serve a particular viewpoint.

The controversy is perhaps as old as grammatical gender in languages.

7/08/2015 9:45 am  #12

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I know it is a controversial point,  but is there even such a thing as gender? It seems a new and loaded term to describe the division of the sexes in such a way that someone might be a different sex innately to their biological sex. Without further proof I am somewhat opposed to the very term gender.  For such a usage it seems to have arisen within the last few decades to serve a particular viewpoint.

I always understood it to be a more prude expression of the sexes.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

7/08/2015 10:19 pm  #13

I believe, though I am not completely sure, that the popularity of gender as a substitute for the term sex or the sexes is due to those who wish to separate sexual identity from biological or physiological sex.

7/08/2015 11:54 pm  #14

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I believe, though I am not completely sure, that the popularity of gender as a substitute for the term sex or the sexes is due to those who wish to separate sexual identity from biological or physiological sex.

Right, but that's just a rhetorical point. The question is whether an in what ways are they so justified.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

7/09/2015 12:06 am  #15

Of coure, although rhetoric and the use of language is not always unimportant.

7/09/2015 3:13 am  #16

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Of coure, although rhetoric and the use of language is not always unimportant.

Well, are they not justified in thinking that, in some respect, the social script including the division of labor between the sexes is ultimately or partially arbitrary?

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

7/09/2015 4:45 am  #17

No. I don't think that has been proven. To say the social and psychological adaptations of the sexes in particular societies can vary is not to say they can do so indefinitely, at least in a sustainable and healthy way, or there is not a normative relationship between these manifestations of sex. Maybe you mean something else by arbitrary though.

Part of the appeal of the term gender in recent decades has been to support those sometimes called anti-essentialists in these debates without really proving their position.

7/09/2015 1:00 pm  #18

I could probably find a better word- 'flexible' might be a better word.

And indeed, that's where it goes philosophically and ideologically, but politically it appeals to the alienated, who find the idea of the role they're supposed to carry out, as articulated in their time and place, unappealing. It is this latter group that carries the day, and it is by no means evident that they shall never reassert some sort of script, just not the one they were given.

Last edited by iwpoe (7/09/2015 1:11 pm)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

7/09/2015 3:16 pm  #19

Okay, but I don't see why we should yield to politically correct wordplay without very good cause.

7/09/2015 3:22 pm  #20

Very well then. How precisely do we define sex?

Again, I'm not talking about poor blokes who think that they're the wrong sex trapped in a body, or a lizard, or any of that nonsense. What interests me is actual genetic flukes that imply androgyny.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

Board footera