Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2016 8:12 pm  #11

Re: Hello, forum

Definitely not offended. There's no Western Rite Orthodox Church close to me. The closest Orthodox Churches are a Coptic one and a Serbian one.

3/30/2016 8:17 pm  #12

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Definitely not offended. There's no Western Rite Orthodox Church close to me. The closest Orthodox Churches are a Coptic one and a Serbian one.

Seeing as the former are schismatics, I shall have to recommend the latter.

"Is it not excessively ridiculous to seek the good opinion of those whom you would never wish to be like?"

+St John Chrysostom

3/30/2016 8:51 pm  #13

I must say I'm very much in the camp that sees the divisions between Oriental Orthodoxy (and the Church of the East) and the Eastern Orthodox/Western Church as mostly a matter of terminology and emphasis. But, yes, I would probably prefer Eastern Orthodoxy.

3/30/2016 9:00 pm  #14

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I must say I'm very much in the camp that sees the divisions between Oriental Orthodoxy (and the Church of the East) and the Eastern Orthodox/Western Church as mostly a matter of terminology and emphasis. But, yes, I would probably prefer Eastern Orthodoxy.

It's a good deal more complicated than that, as shown by a recent move against the doctrine of theosis among the Copts, including by the last Pope, and, at the same time many Orthodox are extremely positive about closeness with the Copts, the Copts in the main appear to prefer to move towards Rome.

"Is it not excessively ridiculous to seek the good opinion of those whom you would never wish to be like?"

+St John Chrysostom

Board footera