Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/27/2015 6:11 am  #1

The Elimination of the Event

Does anyone know of any essay, article or book which focuses on the project of reducing talk of Event Causation to that of Agent/Substance Causation or even eliminating Event talk altogether? I know Lowe was keen on this (though favoured the Reductionist project to the Eliminativist one). The tendency to think of causation in terms of Events has of course been one of the most invidious and unhelpful consequences of Humeanism, one which confuses even those sympathetic to realist accounts and cosmological agreements. This alone is good reason for us to prioritise carrying out such an analysis rather than defending it piece-meal as we go along.

(I know I’m probably going to get rightfully bombarded with names I already know such as Mumford and friends – teaches me for not bothering much about Causation theorists)

7/27/2015 5:31 pm  #2

Re: The Elimination of the Event

You may want to look into Richard Swinburne's bibliography.  Not sure if he ever provides as thematic a treatment as you'd like, and I haven't read him closely since I was an undergrad several years back, but he subscribes to a "powers/liabilities" account of the causal capacity of substances and defines an "event" simply in terms of "the instantiation of properties by a substance;" I'm pretty sure he holds that substances, not events, are causes . . .  You may find a few good insights . . .

Board footera