Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2015 7:08 pm  #1

Metaphysical Skepticism

So I'm gonna post a comment made by an acquaintance of mine who is formally studying philosophy but maintains metaphysical skepticism.

"Isn't much of this kind of scientifiication of metaphysics inherently flawed in its concept of, I fear saying this word, dialectic?

I have argued this before, and even though I dislike a lot of the metaphysical questions out there, this is my main criticism of realism of truth, scientific realism and Quinean metaphysics. 

This will be a moot point of my whole idea of philosophy, and it will be a fairly simple one, but I have just recently been capable of wording it in these simple terms. 

When we argue for something, we have a concept of thinking, the existential side effect of being human has constructed us to think from concepts of premises, conclusions and argumentative vigor. I do agree with this, and I think this methodological validity is very important. But here is where I part from people like Quine, even though I borrow from him as well. Take the methodology of science, listen to Quine's idea of metaphysical obligations and his idea of epistemology; aren't they inherently contradictory?

The web of belief seems to be some kind of Popperian thought, whilst his metaphysic's seems kinda of rationalist, and the idea of metaphysical methodology seems positivist. 

What I would argue is therefore: the world isn't constructed in this atomic way of premises and conclusions. 
We cannot "start with the most primitive thing" and work our way upward. The world itself is formed as the web of belief, and our science is only an attempt to approximate it. 

There is no way to properly construct a single metaphysics of the world, most ways to look at it views the same thing from several different aspects, each starting with their own truths, applying them to everything and therefore falsehood will always be necessary in our understanding of the world. 

There is no more truth to physics than there is to pscho-analysis I'd say. The same goes for a lot of subjects, of course some things people say is purely bullshit, but I hope you understand my standpoint. 

The only certain metaphysics I'd say is some kind of idealism, that is the ultimate form of this kind of meta-argument to what I have recently said. 

What we truly know-know exists is the web of belief, our interpretations and our qualia, nothing more (we cannot be fooled that we are at least experiencing)."

I'd like to know what you guys think on this and how you would reply to my acquaintance, this is in part a proxy post since they do not have an account here and I feel that your replies would be better than mine.

"There is no way to properly construct a single metaphysics of the world, most ways to look at it views the same thing from several different aspects, each starting with their own truths, applying them to everything and therefore falsehood will always be necessary in our understanding of the world. "

What exactly motivates this? And How would one go answering it? Just how tenable is the form of such metaphysical skepticism?

Last edited by Dennis (9/05/2015 7:14 pm)

9/05/2015 8:51 pm  #2

Re: Metaphysical Skepticism

I had typed out a reply to this before realizing it was mostly a quote. On second thought, it's hard to see what your friend means. He's fantastically vague. But wouldn't this lead to solipsism?

9/05/2015 8:58 pm  #3

Hi John, thanks for the reply. I happened to catch your reply before it was done away with, in the meantime(since my friend isn't here), I don't think that they have a big leaning towards solipsism, and honestly speaking, I think it would too. But since they were admittedly quite vague and would naturally want to expand on it, I'll continue the conversation tomorrow and let you know. With that said, everything you mentioned about holistic undetermination and etc. was spot on, this is basically what they mean, or I would construe their strongest position to mean. So I didn't there was anything wrong with your post per se, and I was gonna say that I'd wait for you to knock-it down. But for the meantime, since they're probably sleeping, I wouldn't be able to get anything more out of them, I'll try to clarify what they exactly mean by tomorrow or next week.

Last edited by Dennis (9/05/2015 8:59 pm)

9/05/2015 9:01 pm  #4

Hi Dennis,

Sounds good.

Here's an argument I gave elsewhere on here that you might try refitting against some of his idealist, all-is-subjective claims for now (if that's what he means, anyway):

The statement can be answered another way. If we can have hallucinations of material objects, then said objects are at least conceivable. If material objects are conceivable, then they aren’t metaphysically impossible. Metaphysical impossibilities are inconceivable. 2+2 not equalling 4 is inconceivable; being a man and a hippopotamus at the same time, in the same respect, is inconceivable; Euclidean square circles are inconceivable. Hence, if we can have hallucinations of material objects, material objects are metaphysically possible.

But if material objects are metaphysically possible, then absent further reason to doubt our perceptions we may as well assume that at least some material objects we encounter actually exist, instead of assuming hallucinations have ontological status qua hallucinations.

It should at least make him work for his dinner.

Last edited by John West (9/05/2015 9:02 pm)

9/05/2015 9:14 pm  #5

Thanks for that, though I doubt that they would such a stance, and the term subjective was used in some sort of a short-hand, but I'll let you know as soon as I find out. Would it be fair to say that the solipsist is committed to denying the passive reception of the senses?

9/05/2015 9:33 pm  #6

Dennis wrote:

Thanks for that, though I doubt that they would such a stance, and the term subjective was used in some sort of a short-hand, but I'll let you know as soon as I find out. Would it be fair to say that the solipsist is committed to denying the passive reception of the senses?

Well, insofar as we mean the view that nothing exists outside of one's own mind, it's hard to see what the solipsist's senses could be receiving.

9/05/2015 9:37 pm  #7

Well, that made me giggle. My main take is about whether the solipsist position could even be coherently formulated, given that their proposition would require some form of abstraction, and that abstraction would be dependent on some form of reception. If the solipsist is going to deny any form of reception itself, then it's hard to see how this is even slightly plausible or coherent.

9/05/2015 9:48 pm  #8

John West wrote:

Dennis wrote:

Well, insofar as we mean the view that nothing exists outside of one's own mind, it's hard to see what the solipsist's senses could be receiving.

The senses wouldn't be receptive, per se, just non-volitional.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

9/06/2015 12:04 am  #9

Dennis wrote:

Thanks for that, though I doubt that they would such a stance, and the term subjective was used in some sort of a short-hand, but I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

In the meantime, since I already wrote it, here's the reply from earlier again, in case I had him right after all:

Not that I have anything against your friend, but I think we can give a stronger rendition of the problem he mentions. Hopefully, doing so will clarify the problem, thereby the solution.

First, we need a distinction between transient underdetermination and permanent underdetermination. A belief can be transiently underdetermined by all the evidence we have at the moment. It can be permanently underdetermined by all the possible evidence. We're only concerned with permanent underdetermination.

Next, we need a distinction between holistic underdetermination and contrastive underdetermination. Holistic underdetermination is bound up with the view that theories can only be subjected to testing in groups, not in isolation. The idea is that every hypothesis carries with it other assumptions and beliefs about how the world is: about how instruments operate, about causation, about the reality of change, about whether an external world exists. The idea with holistic underdetermination arguments is that we can never determine whether a hypothesis we wish to reject is false, because we can never know whether the fault lies with the hypothesis or with one of the other beliefs built into it; they claim we can always replace one of these beliefs to save the hypothesis.

The view also has the consequence that when we confirm a scientific theory, we confirm that theory along with any metaphysical supposition it includes. If these metaphysical suppositions can be replaced by other metaphysical suppositions, then I think we have a choice between those metaphysical suppositions. If the metaphysical suppositions can't be replaced by other metaphysical suppositions, we call these indispensable to the theory and say we ought to be committed to the reality of those indispensable metaphysical suppositions if we have commitment to (say) the reality of the scientific parts of that theory (ie. theories about electrons). I'm not (and I doubt any of us are) going to deny that scientific theories presume background metaphysical and ontological commitments. But we're going to want to deny the holistic underdetermination argument to avoid relativism about metaphysics. If only one metaphysic is ultimately true, then we're going to want to be able to say that the rest of them are false.

Contrastive underdetermination occurs when there is more than one hypothesis that fits the evidence equally well. So, permanent contrastive underdetermination occurs when there is more than one hypothesis that fits all the possible evidence equally well.

For the contrastive underdetermination argument, consider the conjunction of all empirical truths. Either there aren't multiple completely internally coherent metaphysics that fit the conjunction equally well, or there are. If there aren't, then the conjunction of empirical facts puts constraints on which metaphysic might be correct. If there are, then we open the whole of metaphysics to a contrastive underdetermination argument.

In the first case, since the conjunction of all scientific truths are part of the conjunction of all empirical truths and the latter puts constraints on which metaphysic will be correct, scientific truths put some constraints on which metaphysic might be correct. This is the option for which I think we should argue. 

In the second case, the underdetermination argument just says that given multiple internally coherent metaphysics, m-1, m-2, m-3, ..., that each fit the conjunction of all empirical truths equally well, we have no way of determining which of these metaphysics is correct. If we have no way to determine which of these metaphysics is correct, to be intellectually consistent we ought to remain agnostic about which is correct. Hence, even if we act as if one metaphysic is correct for pragmatic reasons, to be intellectually consistent we ought to remain agnostic about which is genuinely correct. Obviously, the latter case leads to skepticism about metaphysics.

Underdetermination arguments are popular in the debate over scientific realism, where they're leveled against realists about entities like electrons, bosons, fermions. It's going to be worth looking at the replies given to them there. Sorry for any typos.

If it turns out I have the gist of his point after all, then unless someone beats me to dealing with it I'll share my thoughts on all this then.

9/06/2015 4:19 am  #10

Dennis wrote:

Well, that made me giggle. My main take is about whether the solipsist position could even be coherently formulated, given that their proposition would require some form of abstraction, and that abstraction would be dependent on some form of reception. If the solipsist is going to deny any form of reception itself, then it's hard to see how this is even slightly plausible or coherent.

Well, no one considers it plausible, but I don't know why it would be considered incoherant. Insofar as you have coherant system that refers to "the external world" (or whatever) as the "source" (or whatever) of "sense" (or whatever), simply replace "external world" with "my mind".

Really, the chief point of difficulty that I might pick at trying to assert incoherance in such a procedure would be trying to understand what "my mind" could even mean in such a context. Everything is "my mind": so "my mind" as opposed to what? Since all that is present would have its source in my mind including those things usually called my mind by non-solipsists I cannot come to identify "my mind" with any particular present thing. "My mind" seems idenitical to 'being'- in one way the most general thing you could say of anything, and I loose any particular special value to identifying everything with "my mind". After all, I would still have to pick out the things usually called my mind as something (my-mind*?). And then I could still pick out all the other things normally called "other" minds. I suppose I could still say of these that they are all still part of "my mind" in the proper universal sense, but they are still distinct from my-mind*. But I don't know what work that's doing for you that simply saying 'everything is' doesn't already do for you.

Last edited by iwpoe (9/06/2015 4:23 am)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera