Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/04/2015 3:39 pm  #1

Aquinas's Direct-Realism

Can someone please send me a link where I can understand Aquinas's view on how we gain knowledge through perception?  How would Aquinas say we come to know the external world? I am trying to search online but I can't find anything that helps. 

11/06/2015 3:45 pm  #2

Re: Aquinas's Direct-Realism

Google 'aquinas phantasm', and take a look at the relevant passages from Thomas at New Advent.

The SEP and IEP are also good online sources generally, i've found. Try 'Aristotle's Psychology', section 6, 'Perception'.

Chris Kirk Speaks

11/06/2015 4:44 pm  #3

Re: Aquinas's Direct-Realism

For an in-depth modern explanation of Aquinas account of perception I would recommend Eleonore Stump's <i>Aquinas</i>. For a more accessible account which sets things forth in modern terminology and with reference to contemporary philosophers such as Chisholm you might try R.J. Henle's Theory of Knowledge.

For older Neo-Scholastic accounts I suggest relevant chapters in P.F. Coffey's Epistemology (Coffey was one of the best of the old Louvain branch Thomistic Revivalists), Michael Maher's Psychologyand Leslie j Walker's Theories of Knowledge.

Board footera