Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2015 4:15 pm  #1

Read Shakespeare in a Year

Over at First Things, Matt Franck has posted a plan for reading Shakespeare's corpus in a year by reading a little bit every day. I have unfortunately read very little Shakespeare, so I think I might attempt this. Anyone else interested?

12/23/2015 6:25 pm  #2

Re: Read Shakespeare in a Year

I've read most of his plays already, but I'm always game to do it again! :D

Noli turbare circulos meos.

12/23/2015 6:56 pm  #3

Yeah, I'll do it. All the plays are available in recorded versions. You can easily get through one a day if you really want to book it.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

12/23/2015 8:08 pm  #4

It is certainly worth reading Shakespeare's plays and his sonnets. I have read them all, though would love to read them again. I haven't read his other poems, besides the sonnets, though. If y​ou have read many of his plays, I would encourage you to read a selection of the other Elizabethan and Jacobean playwrights - Jonson, obviously, but also Marlowe, Webster, Fletcher and Beaumont, Massinger. This was truly one of the most remarkable periods in English literature. It shows you how great Shakespeare was, that he stands out in a time of many brilliant playwrights.

12/24/2015 1:50 am  #5

Personally, though, my favourite play of all time is Addison's Cato. The whole thing is one massive virtue-fest. :D

Noli turbare circulos meos.

Board footera