Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/01/2016 11:32 pm  #1

God's goodness

I have a few philosophical questions regarding God's goodness and His will to create. I have some thoughts on these things but I am interested in hearing everyone else's.

(1) God is perfectly good. Now does this mean God cannot make an evil world? If we answer no, then either God can make an evil world (which seems odd to say) or there can be no such thing as an evil world. But then it would follow that certain worlds (e.g. a world in which all that exists is an eternally suffering innocent person) are not evil which seem evil. On the other hand, if we answer yes, God cannot make an evil world, we have to ask why? Since the goodness of the world does not add to the goodness of God, how can the evil of a world detract from God's goodness? 

(2) God is perfectly rational. This seems to imply that if there are two options A and B, and A is better than B, God must do A. Now, since God was free to not create the world, it would follow that God not creating the world cannot be on the whole worse than God creating the world. But that doesnt seem true, it seems that the world existing is just better than it not. So how can God be free to not create if creating is better?

Board footera