Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2016 9:19 am  #1

Self

Since it seems that everything has a self or an identity, is it possible that the Universe has its own mind and just lets us discover what should be discover?

8/29/2016 11:51 am  #2

Re: Self

Well, in a sense. The universe has intelligibility as a characteristic.

Though I'm not sure that's precisely what you mean.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

8/29/2016 12:03 pm  #3

Futhark wrote:

Since it seems that everything has a self or an identity

Well, there is a distinction between “a self”, in the sense of a mind, and identity. A rock is identical with itself, but it probably doesn't have a mind*. (Not even in a reductionist kind of way.) So, it's probably not the case that everything has a mind.

is it possible that the Universe has its own mind and just lets us discover what should be discover?

I'll define “the Universe” as the entire spacetime system. (If that's not what you mean, let me know.) Are you asking if the universe—the mereological sum or whole of everything that is in or constitutes spacetime—itself has a mind?

*T. L. S. Sprigge and panpsychists would disagree, but they're very much a minority.

8/30/2016 4:42 am  #4

I'm asking about the mereological sum with the thought that spacetime is included in the mereological sum.
*Intense*

8/30/2016 4:47 am  #5

And yes, I'm not talking about the mind but just the identity of the thing itself physically- its individualism as an object (given that everything is different from each other due to time.

8/30/2016 7:26 am  #6

Futhark wrote:

I'm asking about the mereological sum with the thought that spacetime is included in the mereological sum. *Intense*

Right. That's accounted for by the “or constitutes spacetime” part of “the mereological sum [. . .] of everything that is in or constitutes spacetime”. 

And yes, I'm not talking about the mind but just the identity of the thing itself physically- its individualism as an object (given that everything is different from each other due to time.

I'm not sure how to fit this in with your previous question.

8/30/2016 8:48 am  #7

The universe here is describe as an 'individual' that is different to others due physically due to time(this is just another trait,  I just elaborated how it is not focus on the mind but as a whole with the use of time)
If its so messy lol, just tell me about your thoughts on this. ☺

Board footera