Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/07/2016 12:31 pm  #1

Introductions to Phenomenology

I was talking with John, and after the interaction with Marty last week, I thought it might be useful to do some work introducing phenomenology, after which we can do things like phenomenology of religion. I'll be drawing from the following two introductions:

https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Phenomenology-Robert-Sokolowski/dp/0521667925

https://www.amazon.com/Experimental-Phenomenology-Second-Multistabilities-Ihde/dp/1438442866

As well as the works of Husserl, Heidegger, Ingarten, Fink, Sartre, Gademer, Merleau-Ponty, etc and various reference works.

Those interested in the historical approach to introducing phenomenology, which is more traditional, should consult:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0415183731

but I won't reference it directly because of the difficulty it presents upfront for practice. The goal here is to get you enough terminology, aparatus, and practice to be able to move forward functionally in phenomenolgy. You will not get a representative history from me- just enough so that you can get into the field.

Anyone who needs help getting books can pm me.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

10/09/2016 4:38 am  #2

Re: Introductions to Phenomenology

A preliminary definition

I steal a preliminary definition from Heidegger's B draft of the Encyclopedia Britannica article on Phenomenology.

Phenomenology is:

The fundamental insight into the necessity of the return to consciousness; the radical and explicit determination of the path of, and the procedural rules for, this return; the principle-based determination and systematic exploration of the field that is to be disclosed in this return -- this we designate as phenomenology. It stands in the service of the guiding philosophical problematic, namely, the question about the being of entities in the articulated manifold of its kinds and levels. 

"The fundamental insight"

Phenomenology here is conceived as a kind of foundational seeing. It is not meant to be a merely methodological/theoretical interpretive approach to things, as psychology or the social sciences sometimes are. It's not even meant to answer to a systematic reductive method as the hard sciences are. It's meant to be a return directly to the "appearances" themselves. John sometimes calls it a kind of radical empiricism. This isn't a bad designation.

"into the necessity of the return to consciousness"

It is necessary to return to consciousness not merely because of philosophical-historical considerations, though he also means to reference these, but because by 'consciousness' the phenomenological tradition- in various ways -means to approach the foundations of things in their appearing.

For instance, Husserl is famous for his critique of naturalism. What's exceptional about this critique is that he doesn't mean to merely set out with some plausible or well supported set of counter-propositions nor to just show some immediate incoherence. Husserl insists on trying to to show in rigorous detail what it is for us to have a mathematical experience such that the problematic of naturalism doesn't even arise. This attention to the details of how things arise in "consciousness" is characteristic of how phenomenology is done.

"the radical and explicit determination of the path of, and the procedural rules for, this return"

The work is to be thought of as "radical" both because there is no aspect of thought which wouldn't be touched by phenomenological work, since the field described in phenomenology is thought to be constitutive of all appearances in some sense, but also because it is more fundamental that ordinary empirical or "natural" investigation into things, which always always approaches with high level presuppositions whereas phenomenology (at least as Husserl tries to think about it) attempts to approach appearances without presuppositions and to describe them in accords with a rigorous method.

What I'll be trying to do in this thread is to give an outline of how to think about doing this. Once that's accomplished at a basic level it's possible both to approach historical authors and to do phenomenological work that would be of immediate interest to us. There is a lot of phenomenology of religion work that cannot be pursued usefully without this outline, so I'd like to work here on a resource for us to be able to do that.

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

11/27/2016 10:02 pm  #3

Intentionality Part 1

I'm going to split this into successive parts because the topic is so important and unavoidable that if I don't cover it correctly you'll have no grounds for understanding any subsequent phenomenological work.

What is 'intentionality' in phenomenology?

I'm going to cover intentionality first from the perspective of Husseralian Phenomenology both because this is Sokolowski's perspective and because all the subsequent major phenomenologists (Heidegger, Stein, Ingarden, Fink, Sartre, Merleau-Ponty, etc) start with or by modification of Husserl's work.

A kind of relationship (the exact nature of which is disputed) of the following character:

ego – act – content → object (which may not exist)

is 'intentionality' in Husserl's sense.

It is important to understand right away that this means that the kind of intentionality we will be talking about will be that sort which is involved in conscious experience of the sort we undergo. Wider uses of 'intentionality'- say between words and their meaning or as found in plant behavior towards the sun or as found between potencies and the world, etc -while perhaps being related are not cases of 'intentionality' in the relevant sense. The reason for this strict focus stems from phenomenology being a science of 'phenomena' and their appearing. Intentionality in Husserl's sense is what's essentially involved in the showing up of every phenomena: it's an aspect of consciousness necessary such that something appears. The other cases of intentionality would be, themselves, kinds of phenomena, but they would not generally amount to aspects of consciousness that let phenomena show up.

The relationship of intentionality then is best understood for us as:

That aspect of consciousness such that every act of consciousness of essentially a relating of contents and objects such that phenomena appear.

Ego, Act, and Content

I adapt the following definitions except that of 'ego' and 'act' from David Bell's Husserl Arguments of the Philosophers:

'Consciousness' is here a primitive term used to refer to whatever belongs within the so-called ‘stream of consciousness’, i.e., within "the entire, real, phenomenological being of the empirical ego".

'An experience'  is a particular episode of consciousness. Experiences are real temporal events and, when complex, possess real parts and moments. Having a sensation, an itch for example, is an experience, as is suddenly remembering that one has left the front door unlocked.

'Acts of consciousness' are what we might call conscious processes. They are particular kinds of experiences. The word used does not mean to convey that every mental process or state involves deliberate action on the part of the subject. The main idea is merely to convey that consciousness is something that goes on as a process and plays a kind of functional role of a certain sort in the presentation of phenomena. Typical acts include fearing, hoping, imagining, judging, perceiving, remembering, and so on.  All acts are, by stipulative definition, intentional experiences; but not all experiences are acts. Husserl says "That not all experiences are intentional is proved by [the existence of sensations and sensational complexes" Having an itch, for example, is an experience which (unlike remembering that the front door is unlocked) involves no direction towards an object that is not part of that experience.

A 'content of experience' is a real part or moment that goes to make up an experience. A content of experience is therefore present in an experience in the way that any part is present in a whole of which it is a part. The content of an experience is the totality of the parts and moments that together comprise it. 

The 'ego' is in Husserl a controversial entity. It is sufficient for our purposes to say that the ego is the site of consciousness from which all acts emanate. It lives consciously, as it were. But its further character is a matter of some contention even within Husserl's own corpus. We need not cover this topic now.

With those definitions it becomes possible to say that intentionality is an act of consciousness by the ego essentially correlated with a content of an experience, which is in turn directed essentially to an object. Act and content and their analysys are more important to phenomenology than objects, but objects figure in phenomenology in important ways.

The Object

The object is basically anything which can be spoken of or anything which can be apprehended. Husserl seeks to speak of objects as apprehended, as phenomena, so they are spoken of generally in relation to content, and then generally in relation to the act of consciousness correlated with that content and object. The point here is that objects appear as meaningful things taken up in such and such a way for observers. See a summative diagram of the Husserlian object.

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

1/10/2017 4:36 am  #4

Bump for new members. New post pending shortly.

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera