Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2017 4:27 pm  #1

Newbie's question

Hello,
I'm currently reading one of Brian Davies book, and I am struggling with a problem that is very basic and maybe naive, I think.
That this, I don't understand ... What I mean is that I understand I think 50% of what I read but no more, even I can can some bits of the book or even chapter 10 times.
It's normal not to understand everything, and that's worse if you're a beginner in philosophy.
But is there some tips to know how to have a better understanding (not to avoid difficulty, needless to say): should I read others books related to the subject ( books that can be harder that the first one), how many times should I read a passage, when do I know I should stop,...
Thanks for your answer!

3/16/2017 5:52 pm  #2

Re: Newbie's question

I'm not sure which of Davies's books you have in mind, but many books in philosophy are what the author Alan Jacobs calls "guild books," that is, books that are written by scholars with other scholars in their own relatively small field as the primary audience.  In other words, many philosophers are not even trying to make their books intelligible to a beginner.  Instead, they presume that by the time you are reading their specialized work you have already learned the language.  I think the best way to proceed is to start with many of the excellent books (sometimes by the same authors) that are specifically intended for a wider audience.  The more argument-driven books of C. S. Lewis are a good place to start (e.g. Mere Christianity, Problem of Pain, Abolition of Man).  Peter Kreeft also comes to mind.

I would also recommend perseverance.  The only way to really gain fluency in a foreign language is to persevere through many many difficult hours at a low level of comprehension, simply letting the rhythms and word patterns sink in.  Philosophy has its own language, and some subdisciplines even have such specialized dialects that they are practically unintelligible to other philosophers (try going to a Heidegger conference).

3/17/2017 5:29 pm  #3

Re: Newbie's question

I'm reading "The Reality Of God and The Problem Of Evil". This book by his style doesn't look like a "guild book" and that's why I find it very when I find some difficult passages. Some passages are difficult but seems to be easy at the same time, and it can be strange sometimes.
But my question's concern was wider than that. Thanks for your advice anyway!

Board footera