Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2018 8:17 am  #11

Re: What's everyone reading?

I like that essay myself. Good suggestion!

3/29/2018 10:41 am  #12

I've been reading Slavoj Zizek, who insists that we must accept the contingency of necessity simply because the only alternative is "precritical substantialist metaphysics," and that every materialism besides his own postmetaphysical idealism is so much gnostic obscurantism. Insert random contentless flyby attack on David Chalmer's "vulgar-idealist materialism." It's been quite the rollercoaster, but now I know I missed absolutely nothing by not reading any of the Marxists.

Next up is probably going to be Pierre Hadot.

3/30/2018 6:22 am  #13

Articles and book excerpts on the epistemology of Testimony (Paul Faulkner and Jennifer Lackey atm) - reading over the Stanford entry the inference to best explanation version of the reductive account seems far the most sensible and deflationary.

In terms of literary stuff I am now starting Yukio Mishima's Confessions of a Mask after just having finished Cancer Ward.

3/30/2018 2:04 pm  #14

Who We Are and How We Got Here might be Origin of Species big. There were many Romeo & Juliet scenarios involving Neanderthals and us ...

Reason to Believe is an updated and expanded version of Living Up To The Truth. Our analysis of western monotheism should begin in the beginning. (Lapsed nihilist Gentile here.)

Put Tristram Shandy on your bucket list, one of the four best novels according to Schopenhauer. Full text here. This is as funny as any book I've read. The experimental wackiness inspired Joyce.

The Exodus You Almost Passed Over is a revelation. It wasn't foreordained. There are possible worlds where Pharaoh let the Israelites go after the first request. The Calvinists are dead wrong about the hardening of his heart. Fohrman's Aleph Beta Academy is great for binge-watching: Torah portions in convenient South Park style. 

Board footera