Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2018 11:06 am  #1

Label for Lewis, McDonald, Chesterton, Tolkien etc?

I've been thinking about a common set of sentiments that come across in authors such as CS Lewis, GK Chesterton, George McDonald, JRR Tolkien, Charles Williams, maybe even TS Eliot.  What I'm picking up on is more a general vibe or orientation toward the world than a definite set of propositional commitments:  a sentiment that the world is beautiful and good, full of symbolic meaning; a love for premodern western culture, and a general rejection of modernism; a taste for the fantastic and fairy; religious conservatism of various stripes.  I thought this forum would be a good place to ask:  Is there an accepted label for this?  I would hesitate to call it a "movement," but it seems to me that there is a general sociological something that pushed a small minority of thinkers in the late 19th and early 20th century toward this general outlook.  Secondarily, do y'all know any place online (blog or forum) where people gather to discuss these kinds of authors?

3/16/2018 12:56 pm  #2

Re: Label for Lewis, McDonald, Chesterton, Tolkien etc?

Some call it derogatorily "mere Christianity movement". Maybe it will work to put a positive spin on it.

Last edited by seigneur (3/16/2018 1:08 pm)

3/20/2018 7:58 pm  #3

Re: Label for Lewis, McDonald, Chesterton, Tolkien etc?

I have seen them, or all except McDonald, referred to as Christian Humanists.

Board footera