Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2015 4:47 am  #1

Description of transubstantiation in terms of hylomorphic theory

EDITED: On Aug. 21, thanks to the thoughtful relentless challenge provided by Scott, I found out that the following thesis is heretic according to Trent. I also saw that it just contradicts the words of the Institution by Jesus at the Last Supper. The thesis was not even original, having been proposed by James of Metz and Durandus of St. Pourcain. So, new readers are encouraged to go straight to post #18 on the next page.

Just like the real distinction between essence and act of being (which is not Catholic dogma, and which in fact is not accepted by Scotists and Suarecians,) helps to understand at a philosophical level the Hypostatic Union, I have found that the hylomorphic theory of matter and form helps to understand eucharistic transubstantiation. The difference with the previous case is that the hylomorphic description of human nature IS Catholic dogma, from the definition of the Ecumenical Council of Vienne that "the rational or intellectual soul is ... of itself and essentially the form of the human body".

First of all, let's recall that, in hylomorphism, the form makes an entity what it is. Scholastics expressed it by saying "forma dat esse rei", "the form gives being to the thing", not in the sense of "being" versus "not being", but in the sense of "being this" versus "being that". Quoting St. Thomas Aquinas in ST, Part I, Quest. 5, Art. 5, Resp.: "everything is what it is by its form".

Thus, if "everything is what it is by its form", and if the soul is the substantial form of the human body, then a living organism is the body of Peter because the soul of Peter is its substantial form, i.e. because it is "informed" (in the hylomorphic sense) by the soul of Peter, i.e. substantially joined to it. That's why it makes no sense to discuss how will God manage to provide that, in the final resurrection, every person will rise with their own body: what makes a living organism to be the body of Peter is precisely that it is informed by the soul of Peter, not that it is composed of the same molecules that comprised Peter's body when he was, say, 20 years old. Everything is what it is by its form.

Applying this to Jesus, whose human nature is like ours in every aspect except sin, we know by the Council of Vienne that his soul is the substantial form of his body. This is so for both his natural body and his sacramental body in each consecrated host: if we know, by Jesus's words interpreted in a realist way by all Church Fathers and Doctors since apostolic times up to the dogmatic definition of the Council of Trent, that each consecrated host is really, substantially, the body of Christ, then we know, by the dogmatic definition of the Council of Vienne, that the soul of Christ is its substantial form.

Up to this point I have just gone over established Catholic truths. Based on these truths, the thesis I propose, which AFAIK is original, is that the relation of ontic causality is exactly the opposite to the relation of epistemic causality described in the previous paragraph. At the epistemic level, the level of knowing, given that we are more familiar with the dogma of eucharistic transubstantiation than with that of human hylomorphism, we know/affirm the dogma of hylomorphism about the sacramental body of Christ, i.e. that his soul is the substantial form of the consecrated host, from knowing/affirming the dogma of transubstantiation, i.e. that the consecrated host is really, substantially, the body of Christ. But, and this is my thesis, at the ontic level, the level of being, the relation of causality is the opposite: the consecrated host is substantially the body of Christ precisely because the soul of Christ is its substantial form.

Once more, if, in the words of St. Thomas, "everything is what it is by its form", and, in the words of the Council of Vienne, "the rational or intellectual soul is ... of itself and essentially the form of the human body", then the consecrated host is the body of Christ because the soul of Christ is its substantial form. The difference with the case of an ordinary human being is that the soul of Jesus does not exist by its own created contingent act of being, but by the Subsistent Act of Being of, or better yet, that is the Divine Person of the Son that assumed it.

This framework explains easily that, when the consecrated host is broken, each fragment is the whole body of Christ. From St. Thomas' statement that "the whole soul is in each part of the body, by totality of perfection and of essence, but not by totality of power" (ST Part I, Quest. 76, Art. 8, Resp.), it is clear that, given that the consecrated host is substantially the body of Jesus, the soul of Jesus is wholly in each part of the host by totality of perfection and of essence, and at the same time, given that the consecrated host is Jesus' sacramental and not natural body, the soul of Jesus is not in any part of the host with regard to its powers (sight, hearing, etc.). Thus:

- since the soul of Jesus is in each part of the host by totality of perfection and of essence, when the host is broken each fragment is the whole body of Jesus;

- since the soul of Jesus is in no part of the host with regard to its natural powers, Jesus does not feel anything when the host is broken, swallowed, etc.

This description of transubstantiation in philosophical terms of hylomorphism, similarly as the case of the description of the Hypostatic Union in philosophical terms of essence and act of being, solves in a simple and straightforward manner issues that are frequently raised regarding this mistery, such as:

- Does anything change at the physico-chemical level in the molecules of bread and wine in the consecration? No, because transubstantiation does not occur by a change at the level of the matter, but by the infusion of a substantial form.  

- Is there bread in the consecrated host, or wine in the consecrated chalice? No, because entities are what they are by their form, not by their matter.

Regarding the last question and answer, a clarification may be needed. Before consecration, the bread itself was composed of matter and form. Its form, however, was a material form. Since a spiritual soul is a form of a higher level, when it is present it is that which gives the essence to the whole. Thus we have:

In general:

Purely material body: elements + material organizational form (Giles of Rome's "material soul").

Living HUMAN body: elements + material organizational form + substantial form of the HUMAN body (the soul).

In the host, before the consecration:

Bread: elements of the bread + material organizational form of the bread.

In the host, after the consecration:

Body of Christ: elements of the body of Christ + material organizational form of the body of Christ + substantial form of the body of Christ (his soul).

After the consecration, the "elements" and the "material organizational form" themselves remain identical to what they were before, but the presence of the soul of Jesus causes that they are no longer the elements or the material organizational form of a piece of bread, but of the sacramental body of Jesus.

Summarizing, then:

The consecrated bread is the whole body of Christ (his body abstracted as dry irrigated by his blood) because it is informed by (i.e. substantially united to) the soul of Christ, which is assumed by the Divine Person of the Son, Who is its Act of Being.

The consecrated wine is the whole body of Christ (his blood contained by his body abstracted as dry) because it is informed by (i.e. substantially united to) the soul of Christ, which is assumed by the Divine Person of the Son, Who is its Act of Being.

Last edited by Johannes (8/22/2015 9:34 am)

7/17/2015 11:51 am  #2

Re: Description of transubstantiation in terms of hylomorphic theory

Hm. That's a lot to take in, but I think your bolded section is the part to skip to for discussion.

at the ontic level, the level of being, the relation of causality is the opposite: the consecrated host is substantially the body of Christ precisely because the soul of Christ is its substantial form.

This seems philosophically uninteresting. Are you saying that the material that makes up the bread has the substance of Christ because it has the substance of Christ? That's sounds circular, unless I misunderstand what you're asserting. 

In general, your arguments seems to obliterate any meaningful connection between form and matter. You write that "a living organism is the body of Peter because the soul of Peter is its substantial form, i.e. because it is "informed" (in the hylomorphic sense) by the soul of Peter, i.e. substantially joined to it." But by the same token the soul is also dependent on the body: Peter's soul could not inform just any hunk of matter (a door, say), but rather only that specific body. Think of a rubber ball: its form includes roundness and bounciness, but these attributes are specific to that grouping of matter and could not inform other groupings such as bricks or trees. 

8/07/2015 10:44 am  #3

Mark wrote:

Hm. That's a lot to take in, but I think your bolded section is the part to skip to for discussion.

at the ontic level, the level of being, the relation of causality is the opposite: the consecrated host is substantially the body of Christ precisely because the soul of Christ is its substantial form.

This seems philosophically uninteresting. Are you saying that the material that makes up the bread has the substance of Christ because it has the substance of Christ? That's sounds circular, unless I misunderstand what you're asserting.

It is not circular because the statement "the soul of Christ is its substantial form" is an explanation of "it has the substance of Christ", not just a repetition. Also, the explanatory value is best seen when considering the issue in fieri instead of in esse.

Mark wrote:

In general, your arguments seems to obliterate any meaningful connection between form and matter. You write that "a living organism is the body of Peter because the soul of Peter is its substantial form, i.e. because it is "informed" (in the hylomorphic sense) by the soul of Peter, i.e. substantially joined to it." But by the same token the soul is also dependent on the body: Peter's soul could not inform just any hunk of matter (a door, say), but rather only that specific body.

I qualify your statement by adding "naturally". So yes, Peter's soul could not naturally inform just any hunk of matter (a door, say), but rather only that specific body. That's why transubstantiation is a strictly supernatural miracle, worked by divine omnipotence.

Mark wrote:

Think of a rubber ball: its form includes roundness and bounciness, but these attributes are specific to that grouping of matter and could not inform other groupings such as bricks or trees. 

That's true with material forms. The spiritual soul is a form of a higher level, so that, when it is present, it is that which gives the essence to the whole.

8/07/2015 11:05 am  #4

I will synthesize my thesis to the maximum, to facilitate perceiving its compatibility with de fide Catholic doctrine and Thomism. There are three de fide Catholica definitions (DFCn) in play, coming from three respective Ecumenical Councils:

DFC1, from Chalcedon: Jesus has a true human nature, composed of rational soul and body.
DFC2, from Vienne: The rational soul is the substantial form of the human body.
DFC3, from Trent: The consecrated host is substantially the body of Jesus.

It is immediately seen that the conjunction of DFC1, 2 and 3 yields:

The soul of Jesus is the substantial form of the consecrated host.

If a Catholic denies that, then in the worst case there is an anathema going his way, having being launched from a silo at Chalcedon, Vienne or Trent, depending on the specifics of the denial, and in the best case he may just have a problem with propositional logic.

Now, combining the above with the standard hylomorphic notion:

HM, from ST I, q. 5, a. 5, Resp.: Everything is what it is by its form.

we arrive at:

The consecrated host is substantially the body of Jesus because the soul of Jesus is its substantial form.

which describes transubstantiation in esse, with the corresponding description of transubstantiation in fieri being:

The bread becomes substantially the body of Jesus at consecration because the soul of Jesus is united to it as its substantial form.

This thesis could be called "transubstantiation as and by hylomorphic union" (with "as" describing in esse and "by" describing in fieri). To note, "hylomorphic union" is a standard Thomistic term for the description of human nature.

It actually surprises me that, AFAIK, nobody has proposed this before.

Last edited by Johannes (8/07/2015 11:24 am)

8/16/2015 8:59 pm  #5

8/17/2015 12:10 pm  #6

Scott, from the viewpoint of faith, there are two possible ways to approach the issue of the "substantial form" of the bread. The basis for that possibility is that the Ecumenical Council of Vienne, by defining that "the rational or intellectual soul is ... of itself and essentially the form of the human body", implicitly defined that hylomorphism is a correct framework for describing human nature, and by extension, we can safely assume, angelic nature (pure forms). However, the Council did not say anything regarding whether hylomorphism is a correct framework for describing purely material essences. Therefore, Catholics are free, from the viewpoint of faith, to hold either of these positions:

a. that hylomorphism is a valid description of nature in all cases.

b. that hylomorphism is a valid description of nature only when the form in question is spiritual, such as the human soul.

To note, I know this is mainly a Thomist, and therefore Aristotelian, forum. Thus, I do not mention position b because I expect it will be popular here, but because I want to cover the legitimate case of a Catholic that holds it.

Regarding the linked ST III q.75, clearly anyone holding position b simply would not care about the whole article 6, because from his viewpoint there was no "substantial form" in the bread before the consecration, as it was just matter organized in a certain way. Only when the soul of Jesus is united to it does the host have a substantial form.

Turning now to position a, there are two possible ways to approach hylomorphism: monolevel and multilevel.  If you adopt monolevel hylomorphism, then you must hold that the form of the bread is replaced by Jesus' soul.

In multilevel hylomorphism, in contrast, when a higher-level form (typically of spiritual nature) comes to inform an entity already constituted by (matter + lower-level form), the higher-level form becomes the substantial form of the new resulting entity, causing it to be something different from what it was before. I.e., the new entity has as its form the higher-level form and as its matter the compound (matter + lower-level form).

Clearly, in the last part of my article I am adopting multilevel hylomorphism.

Turning now specifically to St. Thomas' reply to objection 2:

"Reply to Objection 2. The soul is the form of the body, giving it the whole order of perfect being, i.e. being, corporeal being, and animated being, and so on. Therefore the form of the bread is changed into the form of Christ's body, according as the latter gives corporeal being, but not according as it bestows animated being."

it is consistent with what I said in my article, quoting from another part of ST:

From St. Thomas' statement that "the whole soul is in each part of the body, by totality of perfection and of essence, but not by totality of power" (ST Part I, Quest. 76, Art. 8, Resp.), it is clear that, given that the consecrated host is substantially the body of Jesus, the soul of Jesus is wholly in each part of the host by totality of perfection and of essence, and at the same time, given that the consecrated host is Jesus' sacramental and not natural body, the soul of Jesus is not in any part of the host with regard to its powers (sight, hearing, etc.). Thus:

- since the soul of Jesus is in each part of the host by totality of perfection and of essence, when the host is broken each fragment is the whole body of Jesus;

- since the soul of Jesus is in no part of the host with regard to its natural powers, Jesus does not feel anything when the host is broken, swallowed, etc.

Last edited by Johannes (8/17/2015 12:14 pm)

8/17/2015 1:49 pm  #7

Johannes wrote:

Regarding the linked ST III q.75, clearly anyone holding position b simply would not care about the whole article 6, because from his viewpoint there was no "substantial form" in the bread before the consecration, as it was just matter organized in a certain way.

Sure. Of course Aquinas disagrees with position b, as you can see from his reply to Objection 1 (and as is well known anyway).

Johannes wrote:

St. Thomas' reply to objection 2 . . . is consistent with what I said in my article[.]

That reply alone certainly seems to be, sure, and that's the main reason I posted the link.

However, the article overall disagrees with the view you're now expressing that the substantial form of the bread remains as part of a higher-level unity. I had not understood that to be the view you were espousing at the end of your original post, where you wrote, "After the consecration, the 'elements' and the 'material organizational form' themselves remain identical to what they were before, but the presence of the soul of Jesus causes that they are no longer the elements or the material organizational form of a piece of bread, but of the sacramental body of Jesus." If you intended the "material organizational form" to be the substantial form of bread, that was not clear to me, and if that's what you meant, I don't think it's correct. The substantial form of bread (if it has one, as Aquinas thinks it does) is not merely a "breadwise arrangement" of material elements.

You had also written:

Johannes wrote:

It actually surprises me that, AFAIK, nobody has proposed this before [i.e., that "[t]he consecrated host is substantially the body of Jesus because the soul of Jesus is its substantial form"].

And you were right to be surprised, because, indeed, someone had. That's the other reason I posted the link.

Last edited by Scott (8/17/2015 2:16 pm)

8/17/2015 4:35 pm  #8

Scott wrote:

Johannes wrote:

St. Thomas' reply to objection 2 . . . is consistent with what I said in my article[.]

That reply alone certainly seems to be, sure, and that's the main reason I posted the link.

Good, and thank you for bringing it to my notice.

Scott wrote:

However, the article overall disagrees with the view you're now expressing that the substantial form of the bread remains as part of a higher-level unity. I had not understood that to be the view you were espousing at the end of your original post, where you wrote, "After the consecration, the 'elements' and the 'material organizational form' themselves remain identical to what they were before, but the presence of the soul of Jesus causes that they are no longer the elements or the material organizational form of a piece of bread, but of the sacramental body of Jesus." If you intended the "material organizational form" to be the substantial form of bread, that was not clear to me, and if that's what you meant, I don't think it's correct. The substantial form of bread (if it has one, as Aquinas thinks it does) is not merely a "breadwise arrangement" of material elements.

I can assure you that I did not change my mind between the first post and the last, so I might not have been clear enough in one of the posts, or maybe in both.
---
EDIT: I have just seen where exactly I was not clear enough. In my first post I should have included the text in bold below:

In the host, before the consecration:

Bread: elements of the bread + material organizational form of the bread, which is the substantial form of the bread.
---

First of all, we must be careful with the use of "substantial form". After consecration, there is only one substantial form in the consecrated host (and wine): the soul of Jesus. That's de fide, period.

With that clear, a Catholic who holds Hylomorphism for Purely Material Entities (which was position a in my previous post, and for which I will coin the acronym H4PME, hence the capitals) can in turn hold either of two sub-positions regarding what there was in the bread before consecration, and therefore what transubstantiation entails at a detailed level:

Hard-H4PME, consistent with monolevel hylo: Ordinary bread (or any other purely material entity) consists of more than just its elements plus its material organization. Specifically, its substantial form is not the organization of its matter. So in transubstantiation the host "loses" something, namely the substantial form of bread, which is "replaced" by the soul of Jesus.

Soft-H4PME, consistent with multilevel hylo: Ordinary bread (or any other purely material entity) consists of just its elements plus its material organization, so that its substantial form is the organization of its matter (a dynamic organization in living beings). So in transubstantiation the host does not "lose" anything physical, but the soul of Jesus is united to it as its substantial form, which causes the material organization of the host to no longer be its substantial form.

Since I have always held Soft-H4PME, it is no wonder that my thesis is compatible with it. But IMV the thesis is also fully compatible with Hard-H4PME. You just have to posit that there is more in bread than just its material elements and their organization, namely a "substantial form", and that at transubstantiation the soul of Jesus replaces that "substantial form", which just vanishes.

Scott wrote:

You had also written:

Johannes wrote:

It actually surprises me that, AFAIK, nobody has proposed this before [i.e., that "[t]he consecrated host is substantially the body of Jesus because the soul of Jesus is its substantial form"].

And you were right to be surprised, because, indeed, someone had. That's the other reason I posted the link.

And I'm happy to know that the view had been previously proposed by none other than St. Thomas. Because in my modest work I strive for orthodoxy and usefulness, not for originality.

Last edited by Johannes (8/17/2015 5:00 pm)

8/17/2015 5:38 pm  #9

It may be useful to summarize all three positions as they relate to this subject:

According to each position, the host, before the consecration, is bread, consisting of ...

Hard-H4PME: elements of bread + material organization of bread + substantial form of bread.

Soft-H4PME: elements of bread + material organization of bread, which is the substantial form of bread.

No-H4PME (b): elements of bread + material organization of bread. (There's no substantial form in a purely material entity.)

According to each position, in transubstantiation in fieri, as the soul of Jesus is united to the host as its substantial form, the host...

Hard-H4PME: loses the substantial form of bread.

Soft-H4PME: does not lose anything, just its material organization is no longer its substantial form.

No-H4PME (b): does not lose anything.

According to all positions, the host, after the consecration, is the Body of Christ, consisting of...

elements of the body of Christ + material organization of the body of Christ + substantial form of the body of Christ (his soul).

It is evident that the difference between positions Soft-H4PME and No-H4PME (b) is purely nominal, being only whether the material organization of a purely material entity is called its "substantial form" or not.

8/17/2015 5:53 pm  #10

Ah, I see -- you did intend the "material organizational form" of the bread to be its substantial form. Thanks for clarifying.

Well, I don't think Aquinas (whom I take to be a supporter of Hard-H4PME) agreed (and, far less importantly, I don't either). But I do think there's a good deal of legitimate question about whether non-animate artifacts like bread even have substantial forms (that is, whether they're really "substances") at all, let alone precisely what these are in any particular case. It's not a burning issue in its own right, and moreover I think you're right to say that your thesis is compatible with Hard-H4PME anyway.

So I'm in agreement with what you've called "transubstantiation as and by hylomorphic union": that the consecrated Host is the body of Christ because Christ's soul is its substantial form. In fact, that much, as you say, is de fide anyway, and I was a little puzzled about what was supposed to be new in your proposal. Now I know.

I'm not, however, entirely persuaded that it's consistent with the doctrine of transubstantiation to identify the "substantial form" of the bread with its "material organizational form" and to acknowledge that even though the bread loses this "substantial form" as a substantial form upon consecration, it doesn't just vanish. It's one thing if the bread has no substantial form to lose in the first place (i.e., bread just isn't a "substance"). But it seems to be another to say that the bread does have such a form and to define it as something that doesn't seem to be lost on consecration.

The consecrated Host, we're agreed, has just one substantial form (the soul of Christ). In that case, what does your account say is the new role of the bread's persisting "material organizational form"? It's still a form (isn't it?) even though it's not the consecrated Host's substantial form. If it's now a sub-form of a higher-level substance, then is it not still the "substantial form" of (the) bread -- apparently contrary to the doctrine of transubstantiation, which holds that what was bread now itself is Christ's body and not merely a component thereof?

Last edited by Scott (8/17/2015 7:06 pm)

Board footera