Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2018 1:00 pm  #1

A problem of interactionism, God creation of matter and the soul

I've been having some difficulties reconciling two views which most Thomists seem to hold:

1) God is immaterial and created material things
2) The soul (and the operations of thinking) is immaterial and could not have been produced by matter

It seems this is a problem similar to the interaction one. Since we accept arguments for the immateriality of the mind by holding that matter could not have produced immaterial processes or substances, how can we simultaneously hold that an immaterial being can cause material things?

I would like to hear some thoughts on this, especially on how thomists can solve this tension. Thus far I could think of 3 possible solutions.

-----
First solution: it's mysterious how to reconcile the two thigs, but we have better reasons to accept both of them anyway.

As most philosophers (materialists included) will admit, if a thing carries out immaterial processes, it shouldn't be material. Yet that is the case with the mind: thinking is immaterial, so the intellect must be immaterial, agere sequitur esse.

We know however that material things are contigent and the product of a necessary immaterial being. So we have reason to beliefe the immaterial can cause the material. It's mysterious, but we know it by means of arguments (e.g. Cosmological argument); maybe this could mean the material could also produce the immaterial, but we don't have comparatively strong reasons for holding that the material can produce the immaterial. So we accept both 1 and 2.

Obviously, this solution is purely defensive in nature, so while it might work, it's not the best one.

-------
Second solution: there is no real issue per se with matter producing immaterial things, or with immaterial things producing matter, but tensions would remain in the case of the soul because matter cannot produce universals.

The problem with the soul is not simply that a material thing cannot produce immaterial concepts or carry out immaterial processes. The problem is that the immaterial concepts or processes involved in thinking are universal and/or determinate. A material thing, qua material, does not have any universality (or determinate intentionality, however you frame it) to give, so it cannot produce a universal process like thinking. This is what makes it impossible. By PPC and agere, an essentially particular thing cannot carry out universal processes or produce universal concepts.

By contrast, an immaterial thing may be compatible both with particularity and with universality. Universality requires immateriality, since matter necessarily entails particularity. But then thinking and universal concepts cannot be produced by a material thing, not exactly because it is material but because it doesn't have any potency for universality qua material.

And so God being immaterial is also not something which poses a problem for creating matter.

Yet even that seems to grant too much. It seems there would be a problem with thinking a material being can produce something immaterial. How could it do that?

-------

Third solution: matter really can't produce immaterial things, because matter is fundamentally less perfect than immateriality. Immateriality however can produce matter as it is more perfect.

This one is similar to the second solution in that matter would still be less perfect (it has no potency for universality, semantic determinacy, etc), but this imperfection goes further than that. Matter is something purely negative, a deficiency: it is the esse/Being that is dispersed, esse not sufficiently united, to the point where its existence becomes dispersed in space, leading to extension. I believe this is William Carlo's view.

So material beings are less unified, their act of existence is dispersed in parts outside of parts. Material beings can be created by an immaterial being because they just are beigs with a less perfect existence -- an act of existence that is limited to the point of dispersal in space and time, and of course which must be unified by a form. But material beings cannot produce immaterial beings, because immateriality is more perfect: not only does it include a potency for universality, but it also just is a more intense act of existence.

Though I find the third solution attractive (and is a view I am inclined to hold), it has the disadvantage of being "too metaphysical" and requiring more explanation. The second one seems simpler and still sufficient.

What do you think? How do you solve the tension mentioned? Or is there no tension and I'm creating an unnecessary problem?

The issue is how to sustain the view that matter cannot produce immaterial things or carry out immaterial processes, while still holding that an immaterial necessary being can create material things.

Last edited by Miguel (4/08/2018 1:23 pm)

4/08/2018 1:27 pm  #2

Re: A problem of interactionism, God creation of matter and the soul

You are most likely generating an unnecessary quasi-problem.

My first instinct upon reading your question was to answer that the immaterial is above the material in such a way that it can influence the material which is lesser, while the material cannot influence the immaterial because it is lower. This would be the third solution, and it's basically common sense really.

Because if a material thing could create an immaterial thing, it would also stand to reason that a material thing could give rise to God, since God is immaterial (though He is also existence itself and isn't in any genus). But this not only violates PPC, but is incoherent since it implies self-causality - that a material thing could bring itself into existence because it can influence and create immaterial things, and is thus contradictory.

This really isn't a problem.

I would, however, slightly disagree with the idea that matter is purely negative because it's an absence and dissolution of being. It is similar to the Gnostic view of matter being not only lesser but also evil in itself, which Thomists don't accept. So, in other words, matter is still good in itself because it exists.

Last edited by aftermathemat (4/08/2018 1:29 pm)

4/08/2018 1:40 pm  #3

Some people ask instead: When one thing (matter) is immediately next to another thing (spirit), then why would they not interact?

Life itself (the fact that living beings exist) shows that the interaction is ongoing as we speak. Otherwise matter would be dead.

Last edited by seigneur (4/08/2018 1:41 pm)

4/08/2018 6:57 pm  #4

aftermathemat wrote:

You are most likely generating an unnecessary quasi-problem.

My first instinct upon reading your question was to answer that the immaterial is above the material in such a way that it can influence the material which is lesser, while the material cannot influence the immaterial because it is lower. This would be the third solution, and it's basically common sense really.

Because if a material thing could create an immaterial thing, it would also stand to reason that a material thing could give rise to God, since God is immaterial (though He is also existence itself and isn't in any genus). But this not only violates PPC, but is incoherent since it implies self-causality - that a material thing could bring itself into existence because it can influence and create immaterial things, and is thus contradictory.

This really isn't a problem.

I would, however, slightly disagree with the idea that matter is purely negative because it's an absence and dissolution of being. It is similar to the Gnostic view of matter being not only lesser but also evil in itself, which Thomists don't accept. So, in other words, matter is still good in itself because it exists.

Certainly people would find it bizarre to suggest a material thing can produce an immaterial process; that an immaterial process can be carried out in a material medium; but what I'm asking is why, then, wouldn't it work the other way around too? If it's just because of how radically sifferent matter is from spirit, then one could wonder how spirit can produce matter, too. And this is also why the problem of interaction has been such a thorny issue in philosophy. Why is the immaterial, which is just that which exists yet lacks matter, "above" the material? How exactly?

I don't understand your argument. To suggest a material thing can produce matter is not the same as saying that it can produce *any* immaterial being; God can't be produced because God is a necessary being, not because he is immaterial.

So I want to know how we can affirm the intuitively clear view that matter does not produce spirit. The way I see it, it is either because spirit implies perfections which matter cannot have (like universality or potential for universality, whereas matter is always individuated and limited to space-time, dimensions, etc,) or because matter itself just is some kind of "deficient being" as I proposed in solution 3.

The problem is that I do grant that there is something intuitive in thinking that a material thing cannot produce something immaterial, so maybe it's stronger than solution 2. But then I don't know what other account we could have other than solution 3.

Brentano himself held that it seems easier to imagine a spiritual thing creating matter by having an idea of it, than imagining matter creating spirit. I'm not exactly disputing that, but I want to know why.

4/08/2018 7:13 pm  #5

I think maybe you need to elaborate a little on what you mean by "produce" here.
It doesn't seem to me that soul theorists have to hold that matter can't cause immaterial processes, only that the latter are distinct and irreducible to the former.  

4/08/2018 7:27 pm  #6

Calhoun wrote:

I think maybe you need to elaborate a little on what you mean by "produce" here.
It doesn't seem to me that soul theorists have to hold that matter can't cause immaterial processes, only that the latter are distinct and irreducible to the former.  

Let's use Fessr's own argument (which is based on Ross's). Thinking is immaterial because it is universal/determinate. Material things cannot be universal and determinate, only particular and indeterminate. Our thoughts about triangles will universally apply to any triangles we might encounter, any questions about triangles etc; our thoughts about triangles are determinately about triangles and not circles. So thought itself is immaterial, because universal and determinate. Thinking is an immaterial process.

Could this immaterial process be carried out in a material medium? Or be produced by a material organ? Why not?

If not, why then can we not say that what is immaterial also cannot produce matter?

I gravitate towards answering that the reason why material cannot produce or carry out the immaterial process in question is because what is material only has potency for particularity, not universals. But what is immaterial has as perfection the potency to be universal, too. So even an individual material thing can produce universal concepts, or carry out universal processes (such as thinking), because being immaterial it has potency for universalitt which materiality cannot have. What do you think? How would you answer all that?

4/08/2018 7:44 pm  #7

Let's use Fessr's own argument (which is based on Ross's). Thinking is immaterial because it is universal/determinate. Material things cannot be universal and determinate, only particular and indeterminate. Our thoughts about triangles will universally apply to any triangles we might encounter, any questions about triangles etc; our thoughts about triangles are determinately about triangles and not circles. So thought itself is immaterial, because universal and determinate. Thinking is an immaterial process.

Could this immaterial process be carried out in a material medium? Or be produced by a material organ? Why not?

That is all well and and good but what I don't understand is what could "produced" mean here, immaterial processes might only be carried out by immaterial soul but why should soul theorist believe that such process or the instantiation of the soul isn't "caused" by something material, if that is what you mean by "produced" ? 

There doesn't seem to be any puzzle about how immaterial might produce material because there doesn't seem to be any reason to hold that material can not produce the immaterial as you suggest in Op. 

4/08/2018 10:28 pm  #8

Calhoun wrote:

That is all well and and good but what I don't understand is what could "produced" mean here, immaterial processes might only be carried out by immaterial soul but why should soul theorist believe that such process or the instantiation of the soul isn't "caused" by something material, if that is what you mean by "produced" ? 

There doesn't seem to be any puzzle about how immaterial might produce material because there doesn't seem to be any reason to hold that material can not produce the immaterial as you suggest in Op. 

If you wanna drop the term "produced" for fear it might sound too close to efficient causation if you think that's a wro way to characterize the operations of the mind, fine. But then my question can just be reformulated to "why can't an immaterial process occur in a material medium?" or just "why can't a material brain carry out the immaterial processes of thinking?". By showing thought could not be an operation of any material organ is hownFeser and other thomists typically establish dualism. And I agree with that conclusion, which I take to be justified at least along the lines of Solution Two, maybe Solution Three as well. I want opinions on this; I want to see how you people would establish the conclusion of these soul arguments in a way that doesn't lead to problems with God creating matter.

Perhaps the whole creation of matter by God itself is special and just the big differences between immaterial and material would be enough, intuitively. Or perhaps it's as I said in the post you quoted.

So, just don't use "produced" if you feel uneasy.

My own view is that the material cannot cause the immaterial because the immaterial has more perfection -- namely, potency for universality, determinacy, etc. A material thing is only ever particular; qua material it does not have any potentiality for universality and so a material brain cannot carry out universal and determinate processes of thinking (and therefore must be immaterial).

Last edited by Miguel (4/08/2018 10:32 pm)

4/09/2018 4:19 am  #9

If you wanna drop the term "produced" for fear it might sound too close to efficient causation if you think that's a wro way to characterize the operations of the mind, fine. But then my question can just be reformulated to "why can't an immaterial process occur in a material medium?" or just "why can't a material brain carry out the immaterial processes of thinking?". By showing thought could not be an operation of any material organ is hownFeser and other thomists typically establish dualism. And I agree with that conclusion, which I take to be justified at least along the lines of Solution Two, maybe Solution Three as well. I want opinions on this; I want to see how you people would establish the conclusion of these soul arguments in a way that doesn't lead to problems with God creating matter.

Right, that is better but still there are certain ambiguities here ,which are generating the puzzle I think. 

why can't an immaterial process occur in a material medium?

Well here too the thing is these arguments establish that immaterial processes as you call them exist, they are distinct and irreducible to material. But from this the dualist don't have to conclude that the immaterial process can't occur *in* material in some sense, because any compound sort or a sort of dualism that accepts the existence of composite objects holds that soul and body are components of some object, in some sense. 

why can't a material brain carry out the immaterial processes of thinking?

This won't lead to any puzzle about God creating matter because that is not an instance something immaterial carrying out material process, its just immaterial *causing* material, which doesn't seem to be puzzling. 

4/09/2018 9:16 am  #10

This is a good point. The Thomist argues from the PPC;

"For example, the materialist philosopher Paul Churchland argues that both the individual human being and the human species as a whole have purely material beginnings and develop from these beginnings via purely material processes. The end result, he concludes, must therefore be purely material.6 What this assumes, of course, is that if the total cause is material, so too must the effect be material. The mind-body dualist would agree with Churchland about that, but argue that since part of the effect (the human intellect) is not material, neither could the total cause have been purely material."

As well as agere sequitur esse;

"The thesis that agere sequitur esse can be understood as an application, in the context of what Aristotelian philosophers call formal causes, of the basic idea that the PPC expresses with respect to efficient causes. An efficient cause is what brings about the existence of something or a change in something. The PPC tells us, again, that whatever is in the thing that changes or comes to exist must in some way have been in the total set of factors that brought about this change or existent. In this sense, the effect cannot go beyond the cause. A formal cause is the nature of a thing, that which makes it the kind of thing it is.9 For example, being a rational animal is the nature of a human being. The characteristic attributes and activities of a thing flow or follow from its nature—as, for instance, the use of language flows from our nature as rational animals. The principle agere sequitur esse basically says that these attributes and activities cannot go beyond that nature, any more than an effect can go beyond its efficient cause. Hence, a stone cannot exhibit attributes and activities like nutrition, growth, and reproduction, because these go beyond the nature of a stone. Anything that could do these things wouldn’t be a stone in the first place. The principle agere sequitur esse, like the PPC, follows from the PSR. If an effect could go beyond its total efficient cause, then the part of the effect that went beyond it would have no explanation and be unintelligible. Similarly, if a thing’s activities could go beyond its nature—if, for example, a stone could take in nutrients or use language—then this activity would lack an explanation and be unintelligible.10 I noted above that the PPC is implicit even in the argumentation of some naturalistic philosophers who are otherwise unsympathetic with the metaphysical views defended by thinkers like Aquinas. The same thing is true of the principle that agere sequitur esse. Aquinas himself perhaps most famously deploys this principle when arguing that the human soul can persist beyond the death of the body.11 His reasoning is as follows: Intellectual activity, which is among the human soul’s activities, is (so Aquinas holds, on independent grounds) essentially immaterial. But for a material thing to carry out an immaterial activity would violate the principle that agere sequitur esse. So, the human soul must be an immaterial thing. And since immaterial things have, unlike material things, no natural tendency to decay, the soul does not go out of existence when the material body does. Of course, a materialist would disagree with the claim that intellectual activity is immaterial, but that is neither here nor there for present purposes.12 The point is that even a materialist could agree that if intellectual activity were immaterial, then the thing which carries out that activity would itself have to be immaterial. And indeed, the naturalist philosopher John Searle takes precisely that view in criticizing a theory known as property dualism. Property dualism holds that mental properties are immaterial but that they are nevertheless properties of a material thing—namely, the brain. The theory is essentially an attempt to acknowledge the problems with materialist theories of the mind without having to accept the dualist view that the mind is an immaterial thing. Searle’s criticism is that the theory is unstable. If the property dualist maintains that a mental property is something “over and above” the brain, then the trouble in Searle’s view is that such a property cannot be a property of the brain, but must be “a separate thing, object, or non-property type of entity”.13 On the other hand, if a mental property really is a property of the brain, then it cannot be something “over and above” the brain. Other critics of property dualism have complained that it is mysterious how an entirely material thing like the brain could give rise to immaterial properties."

Board footera