Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/10/2015 8:23 pm  #41

Re: Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Spiculum wrote:

Virtually all of the statements concerning Father Feeney and his followers, as well as on the Dogma, "Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus", in this thread are seriously in error and need to be redressed 

You're not the Pope.

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

7/10/2015 8:59 pm  #42

Timocrates said:  "You're not the Pope."

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say.  Are you?  As I pointed out, Pope Innocent III settled the matter infallibly in 1215.  In 1302, in the Bull Unam Sanctam, Pope Boniface VIII elaborated infallibly on Innocent III's declaration:  "We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff".

I stand with the Popes.  Where do you stand? 

Please read the article I linked.

7/10/2015 9:14 pm  #43

The problem here of course is that this makes the limited exposure of mankind as a whole to Christ's message problematic.

7/10/2015 10:01 pm  #44

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

The problem here of course is that this makes the limited exposure of mankind as a whole to Christ's message problematic.

Jeremy Taylor:

If that remark was directed at me, I have to confess that I haven't the faintest idea what it means.  I can parse it, but I cannot construe it.  Your use of the word 'problematic' is problematic.  Please rephrase.  

On the assumption that your principal thrust is expressed by "the limited exposure of mankind as a whole to Christ's message", I reply:  Christ's message has reached everyone who could have profited by it.  In the first place, we are told (Acts of the Apostles) that the Apostles preached the Gospel to the whole world.  I certainly believe that --yes, even in, say, China.  So the Gospel reached far more than just a 'limited' part of mankind.  Secondly, St. Paul tells us (I paraphrase) that those who do not have the Gospel preached to them have only their sins to blame.

There is a remarkable statement on this topic from St. Francis Xavier in regard to the Japanese (who had not been evangelized before his arrival in the 1500s).  I'll try to find it.

7/10/2015 10:05 pm  #45

Spiculum wrote:

Timocrates said:  "You're not the Pope."

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say.  Are you?  As I pointed out, Pope Innocent III settled the matter infallibly in 1215.  In 1302, in the Bull Unam Sanctam, Pope Boniface VIII elaborated infallibly on Innocent III's declaration:  "We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff".

I stand with the Popes.  Where do you stand? 

Please read the article I linked.

You are presuming to take it upon yourself to interpret Church dogma and doctrine. You do not have that power or authority. The Church has clarified the meaning of these statements as, e.g., in the Catechism of the Church and the continued teaching of the Magisterium.

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."

7/10/2015 10:14 pm  #46

Spiculum wrote:

Jeremy Taylor:

If that remark was directed at me, I have to confess that I haven't the faintest idea what it means.  I can parse it, but I cannot construe it.  Your use of the word 'problematic' is problematic.  Please rephrase.  

On the assumption that your principal thrust is expressed by "the limited exposure of mankind as a whole to Christ's message", I reply:  Christ's message has reached everyone who could have profited by it.  In the first place, we are told (Acts of the Apostles) that the Apostles preached the Gospel to the whole world.  I certainly believe that --yes, even in, say, China.  So the Gospel reached far more than just a 'limited' part of mankind.  Secondly, St. Paul tells us (I paraphrase) that those who do not have the Gospel preached to them have only their sins to blame.

There is a remarkable statement on this topic from St. Francis Xavier in regard to the Japanese (who had not been evangelized before his arrival in the 1500s).  I'll try to find it.

I thought my meaning was quite clear. Yes, I was referring to the fact that the gospel never reached many societies in human history.

The argument you put forward, frankly, seems to be deeply implausible. Not only does it seem entirely ad hoc, but it just doesn't make sense. Aren't we all sinners? And why would anyone looking at the broad sweep of human societies, which are after all made of many different individuals of different levels of wisdom and virtue, think that those who heard the gospel were necessarily, or even generally, better than those who did not?  

7/10/2015 10:30 pm  #47

St. Thomas Aquinas touches indirectly this issue in ST I-II, q.89, a.6, Resp.:

"But when he begins to have the use of reason, he is not entirely excused from the guilt of venial or mortal sin. Now the first thing that occurs to a man to think about then, is to deliberate about himself. And if he then direct himself to the due end, he will, by means of grace, receive the remission of original sin: whereas if he does not then direct himself to the due end, and as far as he is capable of discretion at that particular age, he will sin mortally, for through not doing that which is in his power to do."

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/2089.htm#article6
http://dhspriory.org/thomas/summa/FS/FS089.html#FSQ89A6THEP1

St. Thomas is talking here of an unbaptized child, as a baptized child has already received the remission of original sin at baptism. This shows that the doctrine in Vatican II is no modernist invention.

Regarding the authority of the Catechism, the passages which quote from magisterial documents (from Popes, Ecumenical Councils, etc.) have the original authority of the quoted documents, and the other passages have the authority of a CDF document approved by the Pope. The first part of what I said is obvious, and the second is clear if we recall who was in charge of the CDF and of the redaction of the Catechism, and the way CDF documents and the Catechism were approved by the Pope. (To note, the only CDF document I know of which was not just "approved" but "ratified and confirmed" "with sure knowledge and by his apostolic authority" by a Pope is the 2000 Declaration "Dominus Iesus", which deals with the subject under discussion in sections 20-22.)

7/10/2015 11:07 pm  #48

Johannes wrote:

St. Thomas Aquinas touches indirectly this issue in ST I-II, q.89, a.6, Resp.:

"But when he begins to have the use of reason, he is not entirely excused from the guilt of venial or mortal sin. Now the first thing that occurs to a man to think about then, is to deliberate about himself. And if he then direct himself to the due end, he will, by means of grace, receive the remission of original sin: whereas if he does not then direct himself to the due end, and as far as he is capable of discretion at that particular age, he will sin mortally, for through not doing that which is in his power to do."

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/2089.htm#article6
http://dhspriory.org/thomas/summa/FS/FS089.html#FSQ89A6THEP1

St. Thomas is talking here of an unbaptized child, as a baptized child has already received the remission of original sin at baptism. This shows that the doctrine in Vatican II is no modernist invention.

Regarding the authority of the Catechism, the passages which quote from magisterial documents (from Popes, Ecumenical Councils, etc.) have the original authority of the quoted documents, and the other passages have the authority of a CDF document approved by the Pope. The first part of what I said is obvious, and the second is clear if we recall who was in charge of the CDF and of the redaction of the Catechism, and the way CDF documents and the Catechism were approved by the Pope. (To note, the only CDF document I know of which was not just "approved" but "ratified and confirmed" "with sure knowledge and by his apostolic authority" by a Pope is the 2000 Declaration "Dominus Iesus", which deals with the subject under discussion in sections 20-22.)

Thank you Johannes. That all makes perfect sense.

7/10/2015 11:23 pm  #49

Timocrates wrote:
You are presuming to take it upon yourself to interpret Church dogma and doctrine. You do not have that power or authority. The Church has clarified the meaning of these statements as, e.g., in the Catechism of the Church and the continued teaching of the Magisterium.

Timocrates, you do not seem to understand what a Dogma is.  The Maryknoll Catholic Dictionary of 1965 defines a Dogma as "A truth of faith or morals authoritatively proposed by the Church as revealed by God and requiring the belief of the faithful."  Dogmas are defined for our belief, not for our 'massaging'.  Dogmas are laid down so as to END debate, not enkindle it.  Please try to grasp that point.  We are required to BELIEVE Dogmas, as written, LITERALLY.  That's why they exist.  Dogmas are not intended, nor allowed, to be "interpreted".  By anyone.  Do we "interpret" the Dogma of the Immaculate Conception?  The Assumption?  The Real Presence?  The Trinity?  Would anyone dare to?  They mean precisely what the words of definition say, no more, no less.  Dogmas define the Deposit of Faith that we are bound under pain of sin to assent to.  Do not dare accuse me of "interpret[ing] Church dogma and doctrine"; that's what Modernists do.  I "interpret" nothing.  Infallible pronouncements are irreformable and cannot be changed or "clarified", not even by a Pope, and certainly not by a fallible instrument, subject to human error, like a catechism.  I simply believe the infallible pronouncements of Popes.  You apparently do not.  Nor apparently do you believe in Papal infallibility.  That's a pretty good working definition of Modernism.

7/11/2015 12:54 am  #50

Spiculum wrote:

Timocrates wrote:

Timocrates, you do not seem to understand what a Dogma is.  The Maryknoll Catholic Dictionary of 1965 defines a Dogma as "A truth of faith or morals authoritatively proposed by the Church as revealed by God and requiring the belief of the faithful."  Dogmas are defined for our belief, not for our 'massaging'

Your arrogance and presumption has blinded you.

Spiculum wrote:

TDogmas are laid down so as to END debate, not enkindle it.

That is idiotic. Theology starts with dogma and from that basis further dogmas are determined. 

Spiculum wrote:

TPlease try to grasp that point.

Please don't be so full of yourself.

Board footera